Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still struggling here - just received an offer that discounts an original 83200 car to 74,400 and they're waiving destination+docs so I am looking at 71,772 after referral credit, 7500 tax credit, and paying 7.75 sales tax.

Problem is that all thinking points to Tesla discounting these cars permanently because now people' expectations about sales have changed and also that people are anticipating the refreshed Model S with AP 2.0. I am basically trading off the "discounted" price versus the full price with AP 2.0. This is of course ignoring the benefits of having the car today versus whenever that happens....

I guess the question is whether waiting for AP2.0 is worth the 8100*1.0775=8727 difference in price - again ignoring that I will have the car today versus whenever.

You can always go crazy waiting for the "next best thing" coming down the pipe. I had originally been waiting for AP2.0 + 100D - planning to buy early next year, but then ended up grabbing a heavily discounted 24-mo lease on a loaded Model X. No regrets here.... Who knows what 2 years will bring, but at least I'm enjoying it *now*. :)

I am still struggling here - just received an offer that discounts an original 83200 car to 74,400 and they're waiving destination+docs so I am looking at 71,772 after referral credit, 7500 tax credit, and paying 7.75 sales tax.

Problem is that all thinking points to Tesla discounting these cars permanently because now people' expectations about sales have changed and also that people are anticipating the refreshed Model S with AP 2.0. I am basically trading off the "discounted" price versus the full price with AP 2.0. This is of course ignoring the benefits of having the car today versus whenever that happens....

I guess the question is whether waiting for AP2.0 is worth the 8100*1.0775=8727 difference in price - again ignoring that I will have the car today versus whenever.
If you are doing a lease I think it's a no-brainer to grab the deal. Future deals are speculative at best and as you mentioned AP 2.0, whenever it comes, will probably not be had at a discount. Also, just having AP 2.0 hardware doesn't mean much right now - actual autonomy or significantly advanced software is likely 2+ years out, so you'd be out of your lease by then. If buying the discounted car now I think it's a tougher question - there's a risk of AP 2.0 causing greater depreciation and you would be on the hook for that if you financed.

Reactions: justdoit
If you are doing a lease I think it's a no-brainer to grab the deal. Future deals are speculative at best and as you mentioned AP 2.0, whenever it comes, will probably not be had at a discount. Also, just having AP 2.0 hardware doesn't mean much right now - actual autonomy or significantly advanced software is likely 2+ years out, so you'd be out of your lease by then. If buying the discounted car now I think it's a tougher question - there's a risk of AP 2.0 causing greater depreciation and you would be on the hook for that if you financed.

That.

If it is what you want and you like the deal jump on it. I passed on one P90DL and then got a second opportunity that disappeared when we were trying to reserve which another member on here was able to capitalize on.

It is a 2 yr lease so in two years AP2.0 might just start to be figured out, whatever AP 2.0 means. Even a car with AP1.x is going to keep getting updates. AP2 might mean full autonomous but lawmakers are going to need to approve that one first.

Reactions: hmmm
Like GTiceman, I missed the first wave of P90DL (classic) deals. When the second batch (facelift) popped up we jumped. Took delivery on Monday. Smiles all around.

Glad to hear you got on wave two, I was trying to swallow the pill but I didn't need a $900+ lease payment and that is all my OA at International Plaza could find me. I considered purchasing but wasn't quite ready to drop the cash. I am also stubborn and want a P90 for no other reason then i like performance ha.

Speaking of, does anyone think this one is weirdly optioned like the other white one we saw? Model S P90D 5YJSA1E45GF136482 | Tesla
No SAS
No Premium

Last edited:
100488 looks great. Love the color, especially with the dark grey 21s.

So SoCal jimmy's guy thinks Tesla made an error in listing that car. Since they said it is suitable for lease I put a deposit down. He said it is their error so he will refund the money if the lease can't happen. It clearly said 24 month lease, looks like I might be flying to Ohio this Friday.

Apparently this car is being used internally by Tesla by their legal counsel, which works since I am an attorney.

• Funny
Reactions: hmmm
Apparently this car is being used internally by Tesla by their legal counsel, which works since I am an attorney.

My Model X was being used internally by a high-level exec as well. My OA was hesitant to let me put in an offer when he initially saw it. He put in an inquiry to the exec, and also to the guys at the other local store where it was technically "located". The OA was off the next day, so I called the other local store and scheduled a test drive. An OA there did a test drive for me, then I told him the story (he knew exactly what car I was asking about since he had talked to the other OA), and then said - if it's listed as available, then it's for sale, so he put in the order for me on the spot. They confirmed everything later, and I'm driving the car today. So I think there's a good chance you will be able to get it, unless there's something very unique about your situation. The only issue might be getting it from the exec since it's close to the end-of-month cutoff. Took them about 1.5 weeks to have my car ready for delivery.....

Cross those fingers!

My Model X was being used internally by a high-level exec as well. My OA was hesitant to let me put in an offer when he initially saw it. He put in an inquiry to the exec, and also to the guys at the other local store where it was technically "located". The OA was off the next day, so I called the other local store and scheduled a test drive. An OA there did a test drive for me, then I told him the story (he knew exactly what car I was asking about since he had talked to the other OA), and then said - if it's listed as available, then it's for sale, so he put in the order for me on the spot. They confirmed everything later, and I'm driving the car today. So I think there's a good chance you will be able to get it, unless there's something very unique about your situation. The only issue might be getting it from the exec since it's close to the end-of-month cutoff. Took them about 1.5 weeks to have my car ready for delivery.....

Cross those fingers!

Thanks, Kevin is a great OA so we will see what he can do. I am not a leasing type of person even though one would thing because I like new things, but I like to drive my cars.

So SoCal jimmy's guy thinks Tesla made an error in listing that car. Since they said it is suitable for lease I put a deposit down. He said it is their error so he will refund the money if the lease can't happen. It clearly said 24 month lease, looks like I might be flying to Ohio this Friday.

Looks like it's gone from the site. I hope it's because of your deposit, not because they pulled it for other reasons.

The suggested inventory car feature has returned to the design studio. I found a couple pre-facelift P90DL's:

Model S P90D 5YJSA1V44FF100488 | Tesla

Model S P90D 5YJSA1E47GF128237 | Tesla

Model S P90D 5YJSA1E43GF136481 | Tesla

One of them has a hefty $36k discount, but it's also got 21,000 miles on the odometer.

Thanks a lot for posting this. After I read your post I went to configure a car to see what came up and there was a red 50 mile, 90D with SAS, UHF, premium, for $93,700. It had just been added to the list today. Unfortunately, it's in San Francisco so I have to pay the delivery charge to Chicago and it won't get here for 2 weeks. $13,000 discount, which is pretty good for a 90D.

So, many thanks RK9090. :D