Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I am in SoCal but plan on going either to Snow Valley (San Bernardino Mountains) or Kirkwood (Lake Tahoe) next month. I recall a few years ago when it snowed, they asked each car (in San Bernardino) "Do you have chains?", I didn't so they turned me back. (Not sure if they were checking if I had chains on my tires or if I had them in my car (trunk, etc...).

So I bought chains at PepBoys for my Acura MDX for around $80 or so. It became helpful on a following trip in 2012, I was told to install chains before preceding to the top of the mountain. So I paid some guy $50 and he installed my chains and obviously it made the ride quality all bumpy.

Do I need chains for my X? My standard tires do have the M + S. Tesla is selling them for $500: Tesla — Model X Snow Chain - Trak 4X4

Is that my only option? Seems very pricey for something I probably won't even use since it doesn't rain/snow in California anymore.

I also have to consider charging, I can make it up to the mountain but I don't have anyplace to destination charge during my stay.

Thanks

Calif law says you have to have appropriate tire chains in the car (2 driving wheels), even when you have awd and mud and snow tires (R2). The truth is that they always close the highway before they get to that point (R3). So if you have a set of chains in the car and tell them that if they ask, and you have AWD and M&S tires (standard on 75/90D X's) you are good to go. BTW I have never had them ask me if I had chains. In fact they just ask if I have AWD and M&S tires and that's it. I drive at least 40 days a winter past potential chain inspection sites.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888 and K-MTG
Calif law says you have to have appropriate tire chains in the car (2 driving wheels), even when you have awd and mud and snow tires (R2). The truth is that they always close the highway before they get to that point (R3). So if you have a set of chains in the car and tell them that if they ask, and you have AWD and M&S tires (standard on 75/90D X's) you are good to go. BTW I have never had them ask me if I had chains. In fact they just ask if I have AWD and M&S tires and that's it. I drive at least 40 days a winter past potential chain inspection sites.

Appreciate the info, looks like I should be fine! My Acura MDX though was also AWD with M + S tires so not sure why they told me to put them on.

I would purchase the chains if they were under $100 just to be safe but I don't know which ones are compatible.

I get asked if I have chains on a relatively regular basis in the central Sierra, never have actually used them but usually have them. I bought the tesla chains and it seem like they are the only option because the suspension prevents full wrap around the back of the wheel type chains.

Also if you do get the chains you should also get a lug nut cap remover because the chains don't fit over the caps on the stock 20"s. Tested mine in the garage a few weeks ago.

IMG_0075.JPG.jpeg

I get asked if I have chains on a relatively regular basis in the central Sierra, never have actually used them but usually have them. I bought the tesla chains and it seem like they are the only option because the suspension prevents full wrap around the back of the wheel type chains.

Also if you do get the chains you should also get a lug nut cap remover because the chains don't fit over the caps on the stock 20"s. Tested mine in the garage a few weeks ago.

View attachment 201763

Any situation where they mandated you had your chains on?? Can I carry my old Acura MDX chains in the trunk so if they want to check I have them

Any situation where they mandated you had your chains on?? Can I carry my old Acura MDX chains in the trunk so if they want to check I have them

Never been required to put them on (with all season / 4wd but otherwise were required). Whenever I was asked if I had chains they just want you to say yes and wave you to go on, I have never had to show them. If they want to see them, I guess your Acura ones would probably work but that kinda defeats the purpose, should have some that fit or wait out the storm.

Reactions: K-MTG
Never been required to put them on (with all season / 4wd but otherwise were required). Whenever I was asked if I had chains they just want you to say yes and wave you to go on, I have never had to show them. If they want to see them, I guess your Acura ones would probably work but that kinda defeats the purpose, should have some that fit or wait out the storm.

I would assume an X without chains would be better than any of my other current vehicles with chains (Acura RDX (FWD), Acura TLX (Sh-AWD), Cadillac ELR (NO-WAY)...

I only had one snow failure several years ago, my 2004 Acura MDX (4-WD) slipped into a snow pile when I was driving downhill. Another car was also stuck but I was able get out using the VM-4 Lock Feature which is like a slip start feature.

I would assume an X without chains would be better than any of my other current vehicles with chains (Acura RDX (FWD), Acura TLX (Sh-AWD), Cadillac ELR (NO-WAY)...

I only had one snow failure several years ago, my 2004 Acura MDX (4-WD) slipped into a snow pile when I was driving downhill. Another car was also stuck but I was able get out using the VM-4 Lock Feature which is like a slip start feature.

Yah I agree, X will probably never need chains. I don't plan on using them, just have them for compliance and emergency purposes.

FWIW, I made a costly error on my MS using aftermarket "Z" chains last year. Damaged the rear suspension and the repairs were well over the $500 Tesla chain cost.

I'll be buying the Tesla store chains.

How did it damage the car?

Where did you go that required you to install chains?

I would assume I could check online if I need chains or not and hold off? Or do you think I should buy the $500 chains?

Sorry for all of these questions, living in SoCal I lack the knowledge of cold-weather driving.

How did it damage the car?

Where did you go that required you to install chains?

I would assume I could check online if I need chains or not and hold off? Or do you think I should buy the $500 chains?

Sorry for all of these questions, living in SoCal I lack the knowledge of cold-weather driving.
My S is not AWD. This was over Donner Pass coming home from Tahoe. It tore up suspension parts because, even at under 25mph, the chains moved enough to rub it. I had them on the car only over the pass where it was required, no more. Lesson learned.

My S is not AWD. This was over Donner Pass coming home from Tahoe. It tore up suspension parts because, even at under 25mph, the chains moved enough to rub it. I had them on the car only over the pass where it was required, no more. Lesson learned.

Wow! I would assume you only needed chains cause your S wasn't AWD? I wonder if we can get a chain rental system from Tesla or owners like they did with the Chademo adapter.

Concur with the rest, pack any kind of chains you have in a box for that rare occasion when a check-station attendant asks to verify.
This is for Tahoe & surrounding area (my pass is at Bear Valley). You will never install them unless it's killer-miserable out there.

Have to say those TM chains look fine, I may get some anyway........

Seems like the only proper choice are the Tesla chains. $500 is steep for chains that I may never use. I've driven through chain control checkpoints a few times and only once was I asked if I had some and to put it on. It's only been once where it was so bad they turned everyone around as well.

I'm going to Tahoe next month and debating on getting a set just for emergency and compliance as someone else stated above. Hasn't rained or snowed much yet and with my luck, it'll be storming the weekend I go.

Found the manufacture's website for the chains that Tesla sell. Looks pretty good quality but they don't ship to the US.

Find your trak

Seems like the only proper choice are the Tesla chains. $500 is steep for chains that I may never use. I've driven through chain control checkpoints a few times and only once was I asked if I had some and to put it on. It's only been once where it was so bad they turned everyone around as well.

I'm going to Tahoe next month and debating on getting a set just for emergency and compliance as someone else stated above. Hasn't rained or snowed much yet and with my luck, it'll be storming the weekend I go.

Found the manufacture's website for the chains that Tesla sell. Looks pretty good quality but they don't ship to the US.

Find your trak

Did you have AWD in the car you were told to put chains on?

Also, it seems that the Tesla chains aren't even compatible with my standard 20 inch Tesla silver wheels? Is that correct, it only works with the helix wheels? Thats disappointing

Did you have AWD in the car you were told to put chains on?

Also, it seems that the Tesla chains aren't even compatible with my standard 20 inch Tesla silver wheels? Is that correct, it only works with the helix wheels? Thats disappointing

Nope I didn't have a AWD at the time I was asked.

On the Tesla site, it says 20" Tesla Wheels but the diagram shows and says Helix. Someone in the thread above put it on the standard 20" with the lug cover removed and I'll assume the Helix, you would just need to remove the center cap only as the lugs should be exposed underneath.

Nope I didn't have a AWD at the time I was asked.

On the Tesla site, it says 20" Tesla Wheels but the diagram shows and says Helix. Someone in the thread above put it on the standard 20" with the lug cover removed and I'll assume the Helix, you would just need to remove the center cap only as the lugs should be exposed underneath.

If you did have AWD would they let you go?

So I should be fine with my standard silver tires or would Tesla void my warranty or would it just not work with my tires??