Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tire advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Expecting (hoping) for my non-P AWD to arrive in the next few months - just before Massachusetts winter. Opted for 19” sport wheels, figure I should plan to get some snows - would like to not pay the price for the Tesla set; any advice on options? Never bought snows before.

I've been very pleased with my Michelin X-Ice snow tires. They get me up my long, steep, curved driveway in both snow and ice and I have a RWD car. I've pushed through eight inches of snow without difficulty. I expect that with AWD they would be terrific. FWIW.
Agree. I prefer the Michelin X-Ice. Quieter than the Bridgestone Blizzaks and very small increase in Wh/mi compared to the Goodyear All-seasons.
@Omniver : Try TireRack. It looks like they offer the Michelins and some pretty inexpensive 18's.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Agree. I prefer the Michelin X-Ice. Quieter than the Bridgestone Blizzaks and very small increase in Wh/mi compared to the Goodyear All-seasons.
@Omniver : Try TireRack. It looks like they offer the Michelins and some pretty inexpensive 18's.
Now that you mention it, I'm always surprised with how quiet my Michelin snow tires are compared to my regular Goodyear tires when I make the switch.

I run X-Ice on my STI, and Blizzaks on the wife's XV Crosstrek Hybrid. Both are good, but the X-Ice are a bit better performance in the dry.

The best are Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 or the Pirelli Winter Sottozero; for performance snow tires.

Also, since you got the 19's you should really downsize to 18" rims and narrower rubber for winter. 19" and 235 is really big/wide for the snow. I had the same issue with my STI (19" & 245 wide), so I had to spend $$$$ on new rims/tpms/tires. That's why we just ordered the 18" Aero rims and will get 225 wide snow tires.

X-Ice:
IMG_1673.JPG

Last edited:
Do they sell 225 with x-ice? I can't find them on tire rack. Should I also add the TPMS? $260 seems kinda steep.
Yes, my picture above are 225/45/18. You may need to just search for the tire and not by car as TR will default to 235 for the M3.

If you buy new rims you will need TPMS sensors and a way to upload the radio code to the car. Just get Tesla to do it. About $100 usually.

Do you guys buy tire from tire rack and ship to a local to swap the tires on existing rims?
If so, they don't need to get new TPMS or program the existing again?
And when summer time comes, you pay to swap them back on?
Yea ship to store or your house and drive them over. If you use the stock rims you don’t need to change the codes. Then in the spring just change to summer tires.

if you're going to keep the car for any amount of time I'd highly recommend getting the second set of rims. It's much easier and quicker to deal with. While I may be over reacting (I'm not a tire expert) i'd rather have the tires seated once on the rim rather than pull them on and off the rim twice a year.

As for TPMS, the standard TPMS modules from tire rack work just fine. My car recognizes the new TPMS sensors and tire pressures are up an running in a couple minutes of driving. No action from Tesla required. The other plus is that the swap from winters to summers and vice versa is pretty much your tire rotation for the year unless you're driving a lot.

As a side note I run my winter tires on the aero wheels. I figure if I really need the range boost that the hub caps are supposed to give it's going to be in the dead of winter when its frigid out (and i don't skimp on the heat) and i have winter tires running in the snow... That being said during the winter this year I still averaged ~270-280 wh/mi which i can live with since i had the heat at 68-72 and the seat heaters on then entire time and I precondition the car almost every time i go out to it. The hub caps just sat in my garage collecting dust.