Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well to be fair to Tesla, other than the stalk issue it’s more car. Better suspension, rear screen, cooled seats, a light strip around the car, etc.

It would be a home run if they left the stalks. I still think they’ll shift a good amount but there’s probably a good amount of folks they’ll also have put off. I cannot imagine my wife ever wanting to drive this for instance.
This is exactly how I feel. I can’t believe anybody will think it [no stalks] is better, at best you might be able to argue it’s “as good as” but it’s an argument that could have been avoided by fitting stalks .

Reactions: Adapsys
This is exactly how I feel. I can’t believe anybody will think it’s better, at best you might be able to argue it’s “as good as” but it’s an argument that could have been avoided by fitting stalks .
Indeed, I’d maybe be willing to overlook it for a Ludicrous Model 3 for instance.

My wife’s not heavily into driving though and I just know there’s zero chance she’d ever be willing to try to learn how to push indicators who’s position moves with the steering wheel. It’s only taken about 10 odd years for me to stop fearing for my life when she’s driving, I don’t want to have to get in the car with her trying to think how to indicate while also turning the wheel. I can just see she’d be pretty dangerous trying to do it.

Basically this is a case of she loves her Tesla but they’ve also made it impossible for her to have another one. Model Y will have gone the same way by then also.

Last edited:
A Ludicrous/Plaid Model 3 is the only thng I'd consider swapping my car to, if I were going to stay with Tesla.

Would be annoyed about losing parking sensors (Vision as is will never work, a front bumper camera might've) and the damn indicators would be annoying.

There is absolutely no additional wiring needed for the stalks. The SCCM (module that the stalks are mounted to) already has LIN, CAN bus, and power connections regardless of if the stalks are present or not. The Model S/X without stalks use exactly the same SCCM as the Model 3/Y with stalks, just the stalk units are removed. I would be astounded if Highland uses a different SCCM, and even if it does it will still have all those connections regardless.

Teslas are loosing stalks because Elon thinks it looks better without them. Usability be damned. No other reason.

Musk is being such a downer for Tesla itself - he can't manage such a potentially large corporation and it is time for the grown ups to take over.
He can't keep any promises with Tesla or Twitter, which he turned into a cesspit of misinformation racism and abuse, imagine entrusting him the colonisation of a planet.

• Funny
Reactions: smogne41 and SO16
If they’re taking a holistic view of the line up, then the M3 Plaid/Ludy/Perf would need to leave some space for the MS Plaid and potentially Roadster. Remember some paid 175k for the roadater 5 years ago and whilst waiting for delivery I doubt they’d be too impressed if the young upstart at 1/3 of the price was the better car. I also think they’ll build to a price point so maybe only one fancy motor at the back, one regular economy motor, 155 top speed, coil suspension although it would be nice to see some proper quality parts there, and a price tag about £10k over the LR. For a proper sports car they also need better seats in my opinion but that would be quite a departure given they’re typically all identical across a given range at the moment.

would be a home run if they left the stalks.

No it wouldn't. It's a worse car than what you could get back in 2021. Stalks, parking sensors, lumbar support, the entire rear bench having heated seats.

Some rear double glazing, vented seats that are of no use in the UK and a tiny screen in the back that no one will use is not an improvement.
fixed it for you Zilla
You're wrong.

Reactions: smogne41 and Durzel
No it wouldn't. It's a worse car than what you could get back in 2021. Stalks, parking sensors, lumbar support, the entire rear bench having heated seats.

Some rear double glazing, vented seats that are of no use in the UK and a tiny screen in the back that no one will use is not an improvement.

You're wrong.
Regular folks won’t know it doesn’t have parking sensors or care, they might think the camera based system is a bit pants but won’t know it’s because of the lack of USS. Highly doubt it impacts sales in any meaningful way. Maybe a small but insignificant amount of cancellations when they removed the sensors but had no camera based system shipped yet.

They won’t notice the lack of passenger lumbar because I imagine Tesla is right and hardly anyone uses it. Not sure what mean on rear bench heated seats but my wife’s 2023 Model 3 is heated rear seats. If you mean the middle seat if that’s changed then no one will care either as other cars only heat the other seats.

So all of those has likely had almost a zero impact on their ability to sell the Model 3. The lack of stalks is different in my opinion, people obviously will notice and some will care about that. Probably quite a few.

I mean I think it’s pretty lame it doesn’t have a 360 camera view still but that’s not stopping sales. No proper active matrix headlights even though they have the hardware, that seems stupid but people still buy the cars.

Reactions: Simonsquiff
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Regular folks won’t know it doesn’t have parking sensors or care, they might think the camera based system is a bit pants but won’t know it’s because of the lack of USS. Highly doubt it impacts sales in any meaningful way. Maybe a small but insignificant amount of cancellations when they removed the sensors but had no camera based system shipped yet.

They won’t notice the lack of passenger lumbar because I imagine Tesla is right and hardly anyone uses it. Not sure what mean on rear bench heated seats but my wife’s 2023 Model 3 is heated rear seats. If you mean the middle seat if that’s changed then no one will care either as other cars only heat the other seats.

So all of those has likely had almost a zero impact on their ability to sell the Model 3. The lack of stalks is different in my opinion, people obviously will notice and some will care about that. Probably quite a few.

I mean I think it’s pretty lame it doesn’t have a 360 camera view still but that’s not stopping sales. No proper active matrix headlights even though they have the hardware, that seems stupid but people still buy the cars.
Atleast @Zilla91 will not be around and BMW forums will be active with whatever he could come up with and am sure will compare that with Tesla and its efficiency and the easiness with which services are wrapped around.

People are buying the cars, but how many of those people will buy the same car next time with those features still missing?

The number of posts I see on the FB groups where people are asking how to turn the parking sensors on, or how to make them more accurate, etc. People don't notice the lack of parking sensors before buying the car because they are ubiquitous on everything nowadays. That is everything except Teslas. Even much cheaper cars have them, so people just take it as read that their fancy new techie car will have them.

Passenger lumbar - that's to taste really. If you regularly have a passenger who has had enjoyed it in previous cars, they'll notice it. Again it's more the case that it is conspiciously absent on a car at this price level.

Tesla have had a lot of sight unseen buyers in the past few years, people who have bought them on the strength of the brand and the purported range (another oft reported "issue" on the FB groups - "why does my car not say X at 100% charge"). It's only once they get them that they realise they're missing all of these quality of life things. It seems to be the case historically that the efficiency/range and supercharger network has made up for these shortcomings, but I'd suggest that won't last forever. Other marques offerings are getting better with each successive release.

People are buying the cars, but how many of those people will buy the same car next time with those features still missing?

The number of posts I see on the FB groups where people are asking how to turn the parking sensors on, or how to make them more accurate, etc. People don't notice the lack of parking sensors before buying the car because they are ubiquitous on everything nowadays. That is everything except Teslas. Even much cheaper cars have them, so people just take it as read that their fancy new techie car will have them.

Passenger lumbar - that's to taste really. If you regularly have a passenger who has had enjoyed it in previous cars, they'll notice it. Again it's more the case that it is conspiciously absent on a car at this price level.

Tesla have had a lot of sight unseen buyers in the past few years, people who have bought them on the strength of the brand and the purported range (another oft reported "issue" on the FB groups - "why does my car not say X at 100% charge"). It's only once they get them that they realise they're missing all of these quality of life things. It seems to be the case historically that the efficiency/range and supercharger network has made up for these shortcomings, but I'd suggest that won't last forever. Other marques offerings are getting better with each successive release.
Right but again I think the number of people that will join a forum or Facebook group about the car they just brought is a very tiny percentage. I think Tesla gets away with this because they can and it doesn't impact sales.

Where it probably does is things like the Yoke where Musk said that's all you'll get but now the Model S / X can be had with a wheel. The 3 isn't getting a Yoke so I think that's pretty clear they are walking that back. If removing the stalks doesn't materially impact sales, they won't be coming back. If they get too much push back and sales drop because of it, they'll walk this back sooner or later.

"New new Model 3, now with stalks!"

Also don't forget other cars have areas where they just aren't as good as Tesla. It's always a compromise, no one car does everything really well generally. I'd still say until they fully open up the Supercharger network, that's still a massive draw.

Check this video out, still shows Tesla have a big advantage here:

Reactions: Durzel
They will when they scrape the bumper 😂
Well while not perfect there is a level of warning at the front from the vision system.

Just saying though, people in car forums are more informed and maybe even put a bigger value on the importance of some things. I do think quite a few of the general public will care about missing stalks and if they don’t notice they are missing, they clearly always have been a BMW driver.