Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think in and of its own the “automatic” gear selector is unlikely to be a deal breaker for many but in conjunction with all the other annoying foibles (stalks, USS, etc) that might just be enough to put some people off.
Certainly would me (if begrudgingly).
You and your four chums can again disagree but we will drive the best car in the world - if you don’t know that already!

And a bit of a review of the highland

Reactions: zoomer0056
You and your four chums can again disagree but we will drive the best car in the world - if you don’t know that already!

And a bit of a review of the highland
I don't disagree, I think it's a great car and will sell well. As I mentioned earlier.
I also think these stupid (IMHO) design options will put a reasonable number of people off.

And you're not being very nice.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
I get a feeling there are too many curmudgeons on this thread.
Yes too many of them :). They want all the BMW features on their Tesla. They just want the Tesla battery and their energy management system. It doesn’t work like that. Tesla is good at doing what they are doing and the legacy car makers are good at doing what they are doing. If you like the legacy car makers then go and buy them.

stupid (IMHO) design options
Apple’s iphone 14 & 15 comes without a physical SIM tray in US - most call that as stupid but Apple don’t care, it still sells like hot cakes. These trillion dollar companies have many other things to deal with rather than SIM tray and stalks. They are aggressive, high risk takers and change business quickly. If you don’t like their product I am sure you know what you need to do. They are not slow and behemoth legacy car makers who can’t change their direction or take risks. And make the same car again and again and just charging extra for cup holders and loads of dead cow leather.

Last edited:
Apple’s iphone 15 comes without a physical SIM tray in US - most call that as stupid but Apple don’t care, it still sells like hot cakes. These trillion dollar companies have many other things to deal with rather than SIM tray and stalks. They are aggressive, high risk takers and change business quickly. They are not slow and behemoth legacy car makers who can’t change their direction or take risks.
I don't think the analogy stands.
They have intentionally made physical controls harder use and replaced some of them with a screen option that hopefully will guess what you want to do. All with no obvious advantage.
I struggle to come up with something better but a more accurate analogy would have been Apple replacing the volume buttons with an AI that will guess whether you want the volume up or down (but you an change it using the touch screen manually under a menu or two whilst still taking on the phone at the same time).

Yes, they are great cars. Yes, I love my 2019 M3. But I really, really cannot see what these changes bring that is positive for the user (or at least not actively detrimental).

EDIT TO ADD: Also, Apple are not immune to design cock-ups (scissor keyboards, wireless mice with charge ports in the bottom, the Apple Pencil charging to name but a few)

Reactions: DigbyChicken
You don’t know that today and that is the whole point.
That's a fair comment, but I can't even imagine what could possibly be better about this setup!
In what way do you think that having moving indicator controls, an unreliable automatic gear selector that you now have to override by swiping the screen, distance-measuring that is inaccurate improves things?
The only one that I can see being of interest is the gear selector if they ever get it right (which seems unlikely but there's not enough of them out there to see so it's quite possible that I may be wrong). The others will manage parity at the absolute best possible scenario.

If you like the legacy car makers then go and buy them.

The problem is, without people reading about issues (with anything), they cannot make an informed decision and the manufacturers won't be embarrassed into doing anything about them. And by the time you have committed to something, it may be too late to change your mind. Its pathetic the stuck record of 'go buy something else then' when the reality is that its not always possible. I tried (ordered an EV6), until pretty much overnight the £ gap to move on changed from 10k to near 30k.

Its not helped with people at the extremes of views - thankfully we don't have too many of those in the UK. And for the record, someone repeatedly making a valid criticism of something, or pointing out something good does not make them extreme in their views, but dismissing valid criticism, or pushing false positive views does and trying to sweep value issues under the carpet is negligence.

Its quite possible that the more vocal people got sucked in by the hype then realised the reality was somewhat different and want to give others a reason to pause for thought. My personal view of Tesla and their cars now is very different to the one that I thought that I was buying into 6+ years ago and had blindly idolised prior to that. As they say, don't meet your hero.