Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let us know what your insurer thinks about you adding 3rd party stalks
Who would declare the addition of stalks to an insurer? Surely its like telling the insurer I have a spare wheel in the boot, or my sandwiches in the glove box.
I have fitted numerous items to my car, I've not told the insurer anything as all my additions are no more significant than having furry dice, Its been personalised not modified. Nothing i have done has altered the performance, the handling, compromised the integrity of the structure or made the car more of a target for thieves.

In the event of an accident I wouldn't dream of adding those personalisation's onto any claim to be replaced, I accept I can either remove them and use them again or simply write them off.

However, I would feel the addition of aftermarket stalks would alter the risk - in that its lowered, I foresee lots of claims from accidents caused by drivers failing to indicate or indication of a wrong intention, but ill bet the insurer wouldn't dream of lowering the premium because risk is lowered.

Who would declare the addition of stalks to an insurer? Surely its like telling the insurer I have a spare wheel in the boot, or my sandwiches in the glove box.
I have fitted numerous items to my car, I've not told the insurer anything as all my additions are no more significant than having furry dice, Its been personalised not modified. Nothing i have done has altered the performance, the handling, compromised the integrity of the structure or made the car more of a target for thieves.

In the event of an accident I wouldn't dream of adding those personalisation's onto any claim to be replaced, I accept I can either remove them and use them again or simply write them off.

However, I would feel the addition of aftermarket stalks would alter the risk - in that its lowered, I foresee lots of claims from accidents caused by drivers failing to indicate or indication of a wrong intention, but ill bet the insurer wouldn't dream of lowering the premium because risk is lowered.
Pretty sure fluffy dice aren't the same as 3rd party indicator stalks

Pretty sure fluffy dice aren't the same as 3rd party indicator stalks
I work in insurance actually and can tell you our system does have fluffy dice as a modification. It’ll add 7% more to the premium because fluffy dice drivers are 23% more likely to be in an accident…

OK I’m not in insurance but adding stalks is a modification to the car. Surprised anyone would think otherwise. Up to each of us if we want to take the risk and not tell the insurer but no one should be kidding themselves that it’s not.

Sounds like people that engine remap and then are surprised when their engine blows up and it’s not covered by their warranty.

It's not just the stalks, it's the wiring for them. That's actually a very costly part. Modern cars have MILES of copper wire in them.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the stalk standpoint, just saying the stalks themselves are only part of the cost savings. Wiring is the other part.

And yes, going from 14 to 17 speakers (and increasing costs in wiring there) seems a tad overkill for a car in this price range.

they already have very limited wiring vs other cars I think - from Munro teardowns. The stalks would presumably hook into some local messaging network and wouldn’t be wired all the way back tot he computer - although evne if it did the computer is right there.

they already have very limited wiring vs other cars I think - from Munro teardowns. The stalks would presumably hook into some local messaging network and wouldn’t be wired all the way back tot he computer - although evne if it did the computer is right there.

I have personally had 2 x Model S's apart. There is still a F-ton of wiring in these cars. I'm honestly surprised they haven't pushed to the 48V architecture yet, as that would reduce wiring many fold in the cars (both length and mass), by moving everything to an auto Ethernet setup, where you can run PoE and data on the same wires, and wires that are not as thick (probably in a ring topology for proper redundancy).

The indicators stalk on the steering column is being replaced with buttons on a steering wheel on the steering column. There is still wiring to the steering column. Maybe they require one less 50p module, but I suspect the rear screen which won’t be used by most people will be costing a lot more.

We’ll probably never be able to really work out the impact, if sales are down then the pro Tesla will look to high interest rates and the wider economy to blame and those that want to think it’s an issue will point the finger. What we can already see if the U.K. now looks to be getting the car earlier than originally expected, and the Q3 results weren’t that pretty. Tesla are carrying double the number of days production as inventory compared to last year, and that’s after some of the factories have been stopped to retool for highland.

The indicators stalk on the steering column is being replaced with buttons on a steering wheel on the steering column. There is still wiring to the steering column. Maybe they require one less 50p module, but I suspect the rear screen which won’t be used by most people will be costing a lot more.

We’ll probably never be able to really work out the impact, if sales are down then the pro Tesla will look to high interest rates and the wider economy to blame and those that want to think it’s an issue will point the finger. What we can already see if the U.K. now looks to be getting the car earlier than originally expected, and the Q3 results weren’t that pretty. Tesla are carrying double the number of days production as inventory compared to last year, and that’s after some of the factories have been stopped to retool for highland.

"double" number of days of inventory is still 16, with an estimated 12 of those days being on ships around the world to various destinations. Even by Tesla standards, the 8 days of inventory 1 year ago was abnormally low. 16 days of inventory is near their historical average, and 1/3 to 1/4 that of other OEMs.

"double" number of days of inventory is still 16, with an estimated 12 of those days being on ships around the world to various destinations. Even by Tesla standards, the 8 days of inventory 1 year ago was abnormally low. 16 days of inventory is near their historical average, and 1/3 to 1/4 that of other OEMs.
How did they manage 8 days a year ago if 12 days are on ships?

Double the days is double the days. It’s not a hard concept to grasp, what’s more it’s even more than double the cars because production is higher

How did they manage 8 days a year ago if 12 days are on ships?

Double the days is double the days. It’s not a hard concept to grasp, what’s more it’s even more than double the cars because production is higher

Because you are not accounting for 2 things:
1) volume a year ago was 40% lower than it is now (smaller contributor)
2) Tesla had not "smoothed the wave" out, there were a lot of cars on boats at the beginning of any Q, but very few at the end of a Q (vastly larger contributor)

The math checks out.

the new parts catalog has an interesting entry

IMG_1447.jpeg

Because you are not accounting for 2 things:
1) volume a year ago was 40% lower than it is now (smaller contributor)
2) Tesla had not "smoothed the wave" out, there were a lot of cars on boats at the beginning of any Q, but very few at the end of a Q (vastly larger contributor)

The math checks out.
On 1, that’s a complete fail. They’re stating the figure based on days of production, not units. If production had increased 40% and they were still only carrying 8 days inventory, it would be physically 40% more cars. As they’re now carrying 16 days, and they’ve 40% more production, the maths suggest that’s nearly 3x the physical number of cars.

On 2, the figure is not cars in transit, its unsold cars. It’s not entirely clear if unsold also means just no current customer or includes customer not taken delivery. On a related matter there are sites on Twitter showing inventory and that all significantly up.

Also on 2, highland has more or less dried up China made M3 cars on bosts, and MY for Europe are increasingly made in Berlin (although not for UK). The fraction purely due to transit is lower than ever

Just look at the investor thread and how EPS was 10% down on everyone’s prediction, even the more pessimistic predictions. Rather than try to derail a thread about a model in a different country to the one in which you live, if you want to discuss the numbers, please do so over there.

Less car for less money. What's not to like? 🙃
Well to be fair to Tesla, other than the stalk issue it’s more car. Better suspension, rear screen, cooled seats, a light strip around the car, etc.

It would be a home run if they left the stalks. I still think they’ll shift a good amount but there’s probably a good amount of folks they’ll also have put off. I cannot imagine my wife ever wanting to drive this for instance.