Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had several CX, an SM, DS, several XM, Xantia (incl. V6), C5, C6, you name it. Never a BX. Drove a BX GTI about 5-6 years ago though, long after I'd given up buying the cars, and remembered how amazing it was that mainstream buyers could have such a supreme air ride/handling balance for sub Golf money. Sorry, yes, off topic, I'll shut up about French cars now...

I had several CX, an SM, DS, several XM, Xantia (incl. V6), C5, C6, you name it. Never a BX. Drove a BX GTI about 5-6 years ago though, long after I'd given up buying the cars, and remembered how amazing it was that mainstream buyers could have such a supreme air ride/handling balance for sub Golf money. Sorry, yes, off topic, I'll shut up about French cars now...
My second car was the BX, early ones had the binacle indicator and no power steering in a 1.9D, heavy is an understatement 😁

Very comfy cars.

I'll stop there too 😁

You can argue anyway you want, but some visionary has to start. I had mobile phones without buttons before Steve removed it. But they were all handicapped because of the loss of buttons. The point is Model 3 is not going to be handicapped because of the loss of stalks. You may think it is but not me. You have all the rights to keep your views and I have mine. Elon may offer stalks as an option in the future but that doesn’t mean we all have to stick to the idiom of ‘if ain’t broken do not fix it’.
Just cos Elon/Tesla does it does not automatically make it visionary and innovation. I don't recall Elon coming to the end of a presentation and using this as his "and one more thing moment". As far as I know neither Elon or Tesla have come forward to explain why this is even a good thing. The fact that they are staying completely silent on the matter tells you what you need to know. This is just cost cutting pure and simple. When the best anyone can think to say about the change is "it might not be as bad as you think" its hardly a good start.
You are trying to liken this change to the the launch of the iPhone to me it seems more like a Newton moment.

Just cos Elon/Tesla does it does not automatically make it visionary and innovation. I don't recall Elon coming to the end of a presentation and using this as his "and one more thing moment". As far as I know neither Elon or Tesla have come forward to explain why this is even a good thing. The fact that they are staying completely silent on the matter tells you what you need to know. This is just cost cutting pure and simple. When the best anyone can think to say about the change is "it might not be as bad as you think" its hardly a good start.
You are trying to liken this change to the the launch of the iPhone to me it seems more like a Newton moment.
Yeah, agreed. Removing stalks ain’t visionary when it’s been done before - and failed. Good ideas stick around. Bad ideas fade away.

Elon insisted there wouldn’t be a wheel for the Model S / X when the Yoke came. The fact there is now is proof that it’s not taken as a vast improvement that people love. It’s obviously impacted sales that they were forced to backtrack on it.

Give them time on this, when they get people going for a test drive keen to buy a Tesla and then changing their mind because of this they’ll backtrack. Maybe it’ll be an option to have stalks or not or maybe they’ll just avoid additional configurations and bring them back for all.

Reactions: SO16
Elon insisted there wouldn’t be a wheel for the Model S / X when the Yoke came. The fact there is now is proof that it’s not taken as a vast improvement that people love. It’s obviously impacted sales that they were forced to backtrack on it.

Give them time on this, when they get people going for a test drive keen to buy a Tesla and then changing their mind because of this they’ll backtrack. Maybe it’ll be an option to have stalks or not or maybe they’ll just avoid additional configurations and bring them back for all.
Exactly. Tesla will pivot if sales are affected. They’ve done it before.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I don't recall Elon coming to the end of a presentation and using this as his "and one more thing moment".
Steve and Elon was/is very different leaders when it comes to tech space and how they wanted/want to project themselves as leaders. The hype in Steve’s presentation was always understated but Elon’s presentation is very scripted with lots of writers involved in creating series of high moments like a Topgun Maverick movie. I don’t think he will ever publicise something that will create a lot of criticisms - losing stalk is one of those moments. So he won’t say anything - it is just forgotten and if and when it comes back there won’t be any publicity. It creates its own publicity both negative and positive - that’s Tesla’s marketing script. I am not saying Elon is involved in this. But that is how Tesla deal with negative publicity.

This is just cost cutting pure and simple.
A little bit but not all of it. I am not saying this is all a visionary thing. There may be elements of it - I am not that aware of what is the next thing in Tesla line up. I have clearly said Steve Jobs iphone comparison was a flawed analogy that is just to give some idea about how modern IT trillion dollar companies works. They are not legacy car makers and don’t worry too much about losing something to gain something. It is just high risk game for them. BMW will not make any radical alterations to its bread and butter 3 series and that is how they function.

Also imagine a model 3 with one stalk - looks bit asymmetrical. Because the decision about removing the right stalk for gear changes was done much earlier as part of their vision program. That makes the right side stalk as non functional thing or you have to give some extra functions like speed limit set or something when they can integrate those things on screen. The conservative solution is to keep the left stalk for its current functioning and ascribe some tasks to the right stalk eventhough you don’t need that but for just to keep the symmetry of the vehicle. Tesla chooses as ever removing both stalks that saves some money and also integrate this to the vision concept. If there are unhappy customers give them the stalks as an option later - charging extra! Have you not seen that with Apple with their ipad pros - remove the keyboard create a market for tablets and then add magic keyboard and sell separately for £300.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applecross
Yeah, agreed. Removing stalks ain’t visionary when it’s been done before - and failed. Good ideas stick around. Bad ideas fade away.
There is a Youtube review of the highland done by "Motortrend" which is such a puff piece its embarrassing. I know its in the US so they are allowed not to care too much about the indicator stalk but their only comment on it was "They are on the steering wheel just like a Lambo or a Ferrari so that is not too radical"🤦‍♂️
So now apparently the measure of what is good design in a daily driver is how Ferrari do it.
If it had no back seats no headroom and Tesla got rid of the infotainment system and the cruise control I cannot imagine them shrugging and saying well that's how Ferrari do it so its fine.

There is a Youtube review of the highland done by "Motortrend" which is such a puff piece its embarrassing. I know its in the US so they are allowed not to care too much about the indicator stalk but their only comment on it was "They are on the steering wheel just like a Lambo or a Ferrari so that is not too radical"🤦‍♂️
So now apparently the measure of what is good design in a daily driver is how Ferrari do it.
If it had no back seats no headroom and Tesla got rid of the infotainment system and the cruise control I cannot imagine them shrugging and saying well that's how Ferrari do it so its fine.
You and I know indicator stalks aren’t that important @Jason71 - there are so many beemers/bimmers going around with no one bothered to indicate! Apologies @Zilla91, I know you don’t like BMW bad jokes.

Right so this reinforces the point that it's a niche curiosity. Ferrari have seriously quick steering, to the point you rarely need to reposition your hands on the wheel, and the indicator buttons are separated either side of the wheel hub so that they fall naturally under left and right hands, yet a decade later people still moan about it on forums and in recent Roma reviews.
I'd argue it's a different kettle of fish to a mainstream car doing this, for a variety of reasons:
  1. Most Ferrari owners aren't driving their cars daily, they are weekend toys, etc. Quirks are easier to live with if you're not having to deal with it day in, day out.

2. Ferraris and supercars in general get somewhat of a pass on quirky behaviour because they're supposed to be unconventional. I'd argue steering wheel button indicators on a supercar are part of the theatre. It reminds you you're driving something unusual. It's part of the charm or at least Italian eccentricity.

3. The indicators on a Ferrari are physical buttons, in easy reach of your thumbs if you're holding the wheel in quarter-to-three way, which is typical. Also, since the steering ratio is so tight that you aren't turning the wheel over and over to go around corners.

4. Because you have a left indicator on the left, and right on the right, even if the wheel is upside down you know instinctively which side button you have to press. You can't say the same of two haptic buttons on one side of the wheel.
That being said - the photo @spdpsba posted looks like a dogs dinner in terms of usability. Earlier Ferraris (e.g. 458) were more intuitive than that in terms of the steering wheel indicators...

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 17.34.27.png

You and I know indicator stalks aren’t that important @Jason71 - there are so many beemers/bimmers going around with no one bothered to indicate! Apologies @Zilla91, I know you don’t like BMW bad jokes.
jokes aside. After 4 years of Tesla ownership I still fail to indicate leaving a roundabout when turning right about a third of the time simply because doing so requires me to pull the stalk twice to go from right indication to left indication. Unlike every other car I have owned where it only requires once. I still drive other cars so my brain has not adapted to the difference enough for it to be automatic. and I feel bad for other road users every time it happens because it does matter. And I live somewhere with a LOT of roundabouts.
So tying to convince me that indicators are not important or that losing the stalk altogether is actually fine are probably a lost cause.
At this point there is nothing left to discuss until the cars start arriving and into the hands of Europeans who are not reviewers bought and paid for by being allowed early access. Then we will get some real meaningful feedback.

jokes aside. After 4 years of Tesla ownership I still fail to indicate leaving a roundabout when turning right about a third of the time simply because doing so requires me to pull the stalk twice to go from right indication to left indication. Unlike every other car I have owned where it only requires once. I still drive other cars so my brain has not adapted to the difference enough for it to be automatic. and I feel bad for other road users every time it happens because it does matter. And I live somewhere with a LOT of roundabouts.
So tying to convince me that indicators are not important or that losing the stalk altogether is actually fine are probably a lost cause.
At this point there is nothing left to discuss until the cars start arriving and into the hands of Europeans who are not reviewers bought and paid for by being allowed early access. Then we will get some real meaningful feedback.
This is a good point, the indicators on a Tesla are rubbish in how they operate compared to other cars. Maybe they’ve accepted that and kind of given up but only have to do it this way because it’s not legal to ship a car without indicators.

It’s like windscreen wiping. It’s not rocket science but it might as well be when it comes to Tesla trying to do it.

Reactions: smogne41

Elon, all too often, talks a load of unmitigated crap.

jokes aside. After 4 years of Tesla ownership I still fail to indicate leaving a roundabout when turning right about a third of the time simply because doing so requires me to pull the stalk twice to go from right indication to left indication.
It's even worse than you describe, because the autocancel feature tends not to cancel shallow first exits, so often you have to cancel the indicators yourself. And because this is all the same half-baked nonsense as the wipers and headlights and so on, some of the time it does cancel itself, meaning you inadvertently find yourself indicating again because of course the way to cancel indicating is to indicate, which you just did. Note that the buttons are the same, in that you have to mash them twice to cancel. Aaaargh.
It's all completely insane and as I've said earlier, I just need to find a replacement for the Model S and then I'm done.

It's even worse than you describe, because the autocancel feature tends not to cancel shallow first exits, so often you have to cancel the indicators yourself. And because this is all the same half-baked nonsense as the wipers and headlights and so on, some of the time it does cancel itself, meaning you inadvertently find yourself indicating again because of course the way to cancel indicating is to indicate, which you just did. Note that the buttons are the same, in that you have to mash them twice to cancel. Aaaargh.
It's all completely insane and as I've said earlier, I just need to find a replacement for the Model S and then I'm done.
I understand your frustration! Believe me this particular issue isn't just Tesla ... I followed a new Mini off a roundabout today and I could see he was doing exactly as you describe ... indicators cancelling then indicating the wrong way then back again then finally cancelled ... it's nuts. Give me a good old "clunk clunk" action indicator stalk any day!