Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my take-home message was that this is a very solid upgrade in pretty much every aspect, let down by the (predictably) unreliable automatic gear selection and the lack of indicator stalks.

Shame. I’m not on the market but if I were I would be kicking myself for not getting one of these but sadly the stalkless design is just too much for me.

I think they will sell like hot cakes :)

This feature adds no value. It doesnt make sense to use it as a go no go when deciding to purchase.
I disagree. For manoeuvring it may be a significant hindrance. Might not matter for some, but I think it’s reasonable for people to have misgivings.
As for what feature is important enough to be a go, no go decider, that’s a very individual thing. I think in and of its own the “automatic” gear selector is unlikely to be a deal breaker for many but in conjunction with all the other annoying foibles (stalks, USS, etc) that might just be enough to put some people off.
Certainly would me (if begrudgingly).

I disagree. For manoeuvring it may be a significant hindrance. Might not matter for some, but I think it’s reasonable for people to have misgivings.
As for what feature is important enough to be a go, no go decider, that’s a very individual thing. I think in and of its own the “automatic” gear selector is unlikely to be a deal breaker for many but in conjunction with all the other annoying foibles (stalks, USS, etc) that might just be enough to put some people off.
Certainly would me (if begrudgingly).
Misgivings, that's what I mean. Don't use it for either what's its intended for (can't trust it) and don't use it to decide to buy or not. Just because they offer extra mustard flavored fries (yuck) does not mean you should not buy the very tasty hamburger. Just don't eat the extra fries or use the auto shift. You don't have to pass on the whole hamburger because you don't like mustard flavored fries (yuck). Well, it seems though, that someone is going to go hungry.

Last edited:
Kyle..from Out of Spec reviews...mentioned in his review of the Highland that when he gets one he will have after market stalks put on. Is there really such a company or product where that can be done? My first thought is that it is NOT and easy fix or addition and who or what Company does that? Kinda hard to believe..for me that is. At 20:44 Kyle talks about the stalks or the sralklessness....

Last edited:
Kyle..from Out of Spec reviews...mentioned in his review of the Highland that when he gets one he will have after market stalks put on. Is there really such a company or product where that can be done? My first thought is that it is NOT and easy fix or addition and who or what Company does that? Kinda hard to believe..for me that is.
Maybe S3XY buttons would work. That'd be way easier than after market stalks.

Can it be turned off?
Yes, that feature requires you to configure it. Here's a pic from my Feb 2022 MSLR.
20231029_160217.jpg

Reactions: MrT3
Kyle..from Out of Spec reviews...mentioned in his review of the Highland that when he gets one he will have after market stalks put on. Is there really such a company or product where that can be done? My first thought is that it is NOT and easy fix or addition and who or what Company does that? Kinda hard to believe..for me that is. At 20:44 Kyle talks about the stalks or the sralklessness....

The product is not out yet, but the S3XY button people have publicly said they are planing to launch an aftermarket stalk upgrade for both S/X and Highland. However, from the videos they have published it is clear they are just installing the Tesla OEM SCCM from the (non-highland) 3 and Y. We know it is mechanically a drop-in replacement for the current S/X SCCM, and almost certainly will be for Highland (but I don't know if anybody has confirmed this yet or not). This will require some electronic smarts to make it work of course, because the car is not expecting older raw SCCM CANbus signals. It was already done by Ryan Huber though several years ago, but never offered as a product:

The issue with this is most people either lease or PCP finance their cars in the UK. Neither of which officially allows you to modify the car as it’s not yours. Not saying some don’t do it but I think the amount that would want to modify a brand new car they don’t actually own is not a massive amount. Even ones that do own it or are prepared might think twice about invaliding the warranty on a brand new car.

So those people, the majority will have to learn to live with the buttons on the steering wheel or buy a different car. Many will suck it up I imagine but some who would have brought a Tesla previously will now buy elsewhere. It’s an absolutely stupid decision on Tesla’s part to make a change that would reduce demand when they are trying hard to stimulate it.

The product is not out yet, but the S3XY button people have publicly said they are planing to launch an aftermarket stalk upgrade for both S/X and Highland. However, from the videos they have published it is clear they are just installing the Tesla OEM SCCM from the (non-highland) 3 and Y. We know it is mechanically a drop-in replacement for the current S/X SCCM, and almost certainly will be for Highland (but I don't know if anybody has confirmed this yet or not). This will require some electronic smarts to make it work of course, because the car is not expecting older raw SCCM CANbus signals. It was already done by Ryan Huber though several years ago, but never offered as a product:

it may be a prototype only. I’d expect a final version to work via their commander that connects separately to the CANbus. If you can currently do it with sexy buttons you can do it with the stalk. I don’t know if all features are exposed (like double tap for autopilot etc) but indicators and wipers would be my main choices, followed closely by drive modes

it may be a prototype only. I’d expect a final version to work via their commander that connects separately to the CANbus. If you can currently do it with sexy buttons you can do it with the stalk. I don’t know if all features are exposed (like double tap for autopilot etc) but indicators and wipers would be my main choices, followed closely by drive modes
Perhaps, but I suspect not quite. The back of the SCCM has a connector with CAN bus, LIN and Power there. Those CAN/LIN messages need to be intercepted from the SCCM with stalks and translated into the CAN messages that the car is expecting, while some stuff just needs to be passed through. It makes the most sense to put a module there and act as a man-in-the-middle device. It could very easily be built on their current commander module though, and even support the functions of the current commander (including running S3XY buttons). No idea if this is what they will do, but it would make the most sense. You need to get access there anyway to swap out the SCCM.

Reactions: zoomer0056