Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine you are an American flying into Heathrow and picking up a Tesla Rental car. The steering wheel is on the "wrong" side of the car, everyone drives on the "wrong" side of the road and then you have to make your way from Eastchurch Rd to Faggs Rd. Would you be able to indicate effectively to the other road users with wheel mounted buttons?

1704387361462.png

I made the jump from Apple to Android after having 'every' (every number) iPhone up to the 13 Pro Max... and I have been pleasantly surprised with my Pixel Pro tbh, but there are definitely certain areas that work better on one vs the other.

Wallet is better on Android (as you can scan all of your reward cards in even if the retailer doesnt offer "Add to Wallet")
Airplay > Android Screen Mirroring (which I still cant fathom)

Just a couple of examples.... but we digress.
A lot of it is what you're used to I guess. However we switched the office to Apple from Android on the last 'phone updates a couple of years back - all but two of them want their Android back. I'll need to find out why at some point I suppose. But then I still use the Blackberry hub overlay on Android for all my messaging and emails as I haven't found anything close to match it for efficiency. Right no more about bloody 'phones :)

I had a test drive for an hour with the highland (living in the Netherlands) as a the likely replacement of my current Kia e-Niro. My wife drives a M3 LR (2019).
I had my doubts about the indicators, but honestly it didn’t bother me at all. Yes, you need to think and look upfront to deal with a roundabout. It takes only a split second. I expect that will go automatically in the nearby future. Just switching lanes and turning left or ride, felt way more natural. Maybe that’s going to help people to use the indicators more often 😅. I guess it’s not going to be a big issues for most of us. And if? Plenty of other cars.
But …… the ride of the highland became so much better (in comparison to our 2019 M3, won’t compare it with the Kia 🙈) .
For me it’s a no brainer (M3 RWD). For my wife we still need to decide if it’s going to be a MY LR or a M3 LR. Before the test drive the MY was on pole-position. After, for me, definitely the M3.

Imagine you are an American flying into Heathrow and picking up a Tesla Rental car. The steering wheel is on the "wrong" side of the car, everyone drives on the "wrong" side of the road and then you have to make your way from Eastchurch Rd to Faggs Rd. Would you be able to indicate effectively to the other road users with wheel mounted buttons?

View attachment 1005813

Would anyone? Even with stalks? Be honest. No. :)

View attachment 1005813

You just go through that with your hazard lights on...sorted 🤣

Eh, what on earth are you talking about?

The expressway is not a roundabout where the steering wheel is not in its normal position.

My point is that you are complaining that you need to become distracted and look away from the road while finding the indicator buttons.

I just compare that to becoming distracted and having to look away on the express way when you windshield fogs up and you haven't learned where the defogging button/option is in your new car.

What do you think is more dangerous?
Distracted at high speed (express way) or low speed (round about)?

You are just pushing your opinion about something that you haven't even tried or put any effort into trying to learn.

What is so damn wrong about my opinion about the indicator buttons that I personally find to work very well and there are several others with a Highland that says the same in various forums?
Clearly all of us with a Highland must be wrong and paid by Tesla to promote the indicator buttons, since they don't line up with your opinion. Right?

This is my last reply here. This thread is too similar to any discussion of iOS vs Android or Apple vs Samsung.

Cost savings, reduction in materials thus greener maybe. Other than that, I certainly would not consider it an upgrade. More of a revolution other than evolution.

It clearly works for some but not for others even if it's just a self applied logic. Needless to say that the subject of indicators has always been a topic even before Tesla existed.

Its a certainty that the highland will sell over here and going forward, it would be a sad thing to see people come around here and be mocked for buying it.

Some people still think that an automatic car is rubbish or not a "real car" but this is more a thing of a certain age, following or just how they learned how to drive.

I suspect this will be harder for the instructors than for the pupils. A bit like a car driving instructor trying to teach someone how to ride a motorbike when he/herself does not know how to 🤷‍♂️
Maybe your right and young 20 somethings will pick it up no problems. The catch is most of them cannot afford a Tesla and certainly might not be able to insure it even if they could. It's us older folks that can buy the cars new who are more their target market.

Honestly I think I could get to grips with it. I doubt I'll ever think its better though and if I had one, I suspect my wife would never drive my car again... maybe actually for the sake of my alloys that's not so bad.

• Funny
Reactions: Zilla91
Anybody placed a highland PCP order at 9.5% and been offered the new rate of 9%?
That's a nice but small drop. I've been watching BMW as their rates expired on their PCP deals on the second and looks like a good few models have dropped 2% APR now. Think partly down to lower demand where as for now Tesla doesn't yet need to pump up Highland demand. Give it 1 or 2 quarters and they might be pushing them end of quarter for 2.9 to 4.9% levels maybe.

I made the jump from Apple to Android after having 'every' (every number) iPhone up to the 13 Pro Max... and I have been pleasantly surprised with my Pixel Pro tbh, but there are definitely certain areas that work better on one vs the other.

Wallet is better on Android (as you can scan all of your reward cards in even if the retailer doesnt offer "Add to Wallet")
Airplay > Android Screen Mirroring (which I still cant fathom)

Just a couple of examples.... but we digress.
I have both, like to keep a rounded view. Have a Fold 5 and 15 Pro Max. I do enjoy the Fold and parts of Android but as an all round package, iOS still tops it.

I'll stop though as we are off topic.

This thread has really polarised opinions yet very few have had the opportunity to experience what the indicators will be like so I would prefer to try using without stalks before making judgement. Yes it's an unnecessary inconvenience but I could probably adapt if necessary, as I've done with Vision Park Assist & internal camera monitoring (neither of those are now giving me cause for concern in spite of what others may find or what I first believed).

None of those issues outweigh everything else I value and enjoy about driving my car.

m wondering if one of the benefits of the buttons is a bit of re-mapping of peoples brains to change learned behaviours and force them to plan ahead a little bit. With stalks, it's far too easy to flick a direction and in pretty much the same movement then start to move in that direction, which gives drivers around you no time to react to your indicating. At least with buttons there are two separate actions required to indicate and turn.
Agreed. A lot of the dissent is really "muscle memory" complaints. If we'd had buttons all along and Tesla introduced the stick there would be just as many complaints. However, that aside I do wonder about the design from a usability standpoint. The stick is always in the same location in the car, whereas the buttons on the wheel change position with the wheel. I'm sure when the car is going straight ahead the buttons are fine, but when the wheel is turned 90 degrees? Not so sure. And if you follow the recommended "ten-to-two" hand position then you are going to have to move AWAY from that to fumble for the buttons, which seems to be a potential safety issue.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
Agreed. A lot of the dissent is really "muscle memory" complaints. If we'd had buttons all along and Tesla introduced the stick there would be just as many complaints. However, that aside I do wonder about the design from a usability standpoint. The stick is always in the same location in the car, whereas the buttons on the wheel change position with the wheel. I'm sure when the car is going straight ahead the buttons are fine, but when the wheel is turned 90 degrees? Not so sure. And if you follow the recommended "ten-to-two" hand position then you are going to have to move AWAY from that to fumble for the buttons, which seems to be a potential safety issue.
So this is confusing. You start by saying that the complaints are because people aren’t used to it but then agree with us that it is potentially not as good a solution. I’d say most people hanging out on a Tesla forum and have a Tesla are probably quite fine with trying something quirky and different.

I said that this is going to limit their sales because some will just not accept it. My wife being one person despite having a current Tesla and loving it, it’ll be a step too far. She doesn’t have to learn this change if she doesn’t want to, there’s a massive choice of other car options to pick from that have stalks. Also you see some driving schools have decided not to use the new Model 3 when already using the older Model 3.

So ultimately for me this change is baffling. They updated the Model 3 to try to increase and drive sales then made a change that they should have known would actually stop some people buying it that would have been fine with the old version.

I expect once the initial surge of purchases, demand will drop quite a bit and much lower APR’s, free supercharger miles and so on will return to try to keep sales flowing.

I’ll try and test drive one as I’m curious though I’ve already driven a Model S Plaid shortly with indicators on a steering wheel and had to look to see where they were on a roundabout. I don’t think it’s something you’ll get used to in the space of a test drive. Could I accept it and live with it? Sure but will I ever think this is a better solution than a stalk? I don’t think so.

So, I like coming up with quirky solutions to things... I'll start by saying that. I'm no inventor and do not consider how these ideas would be implemented. With that said, most complaints are that the buttons are not in the same place, so a solution to stalkless and keeping the buttons for indicators could be that the outside of the wheel moves but the stems are on bearing so that that are always in a static location.

I know with a current steering configuration that wouldn't work, but I bet with some kind of mad inventor you could make it happen... A lot of effort though when the original design wasn't broken.

I've said historically, I'm middle of the road with the change and a lot of what I have said is to play Devil's Advocate (and keep myself sane). Would I rather it still had stalks, sure. Would it stop me having a M3H, no.. hence having one on order. One thing I would say, is that every car I've owned (out of the 25 so far) has had something I wish I could change.

So this is confusing. You start by saying that the complaints are because people aren’t used to it but then agree with us that it is potentially not as good a solution. I’d say most people hanging out on a Tesla forum and have a Tesla are probably quite fine with trying something quirky and different.
No I was saying a lot of the complaints are noise, but not necessarily all of them. As for Tesla owners being ok with quirky, look at the complaints about M3/Y speedometer not being in front of the driver! :)

As for Tesla owners being ok with quirky, look at the complaints about M3/Y speedometer not being in front of the driver! :)
I never got this either, I adapted quite quickly and actually it's in your peripheral vision most of the time anyway. People moan about "having to look away from the road" but unless you have a HUD then you do for a normal Speedo anyway... It just about training your eyes to look diagonally rather than straight down.

What's that old saying... You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Reactions: drtimhill
4 mins 45 seconds into this video he turns right. I'd like to see anyone indicate using steering mounted buttons taking such a turn.. I think it proves the point nicely and as a result no BMW driver is going to want to change

ps I still think the speedo, the blind spot indication and now the speed camera warnings are all in the wrong place and insufficiently visible. You forget how annpoying it is until you switch to a car with them in front of you and even better on a head up display. If you want to reignite that chestnut then feel free, just don't moan when you get the comments. .

View attachment 1005813
I can't see the indicators being much issue there. As you approach down Eastchurch you don't need to indicate at all for an exit that's straight ahead, then once you are past the first exit it's more or less a straight road up to the mini roundabout as Fagg Road to apply your left indicator. You are certainly not going to need to get anywhere near an inverted wheel.

I guess what's nice for a LHD driver is you could go the wrong way round instead if you kep to the centre.