Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nearly 2 years in and I still find the speedo placement stupid and having to take my eyes off the road to check how fast I’m going.

It’s lucky I’ve got a “feel” for how fast I’m going but it’s not exactly scientific and I will get caught out one day.
I have never got this argument. a traditional speedo is in front of you but you still have to look down to see it.
The Tesla one is actually higher up than the speedo on most cars so you have to look left a bit but I feel you actually keep your eyes on the road as much or more than with the traditional placement.
Would not kill them to make it a bit bigger though like it was in 2019.

Good review of the indicators from a Highland owner rather than a motoring journalist:

The guy demos the fact that you’ll need to look at the wheel (and therefore off the road) while you’re turning.

I guess most people just aren’t going to bother. It’s not as if people indicating off roundabouts is rigorously adhered to anyway? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Interesting video, whilst I see the removal of the indicator stalk to be a massive own goal, I think it's possible it could be adapted to for driving in normal conditions when not turning the wheel? Seeing as your hands are on the wheel already... Roundabouts are a another issue though...

What I actually think is far worse, and you can spot this at around 5m25s in the video, is having to look at the screen to stop / select gear. This is something I just naturally do with 22 RW Model 3. I don't have to look anywhere and it's been far more convenient than a gear selector. Car parking and 3 point turns are a doddle. I hate having to look at the screen to do functions at the best of times. If the wipers randomly go off on Auto and I have to switch it off on the screen while driving - I find it really distracting. Of course on a test drive I will be able to get a better understanding, but it seems to me to be a really unnecessary concession removing the stalks. That rear screen would be a total waste on me, as it would never get used. I'd resent it more for draining the battery! :D The LED lights and the better suspension are a big bonus though...

Reactions: Dasher
You should be able to flick your eyes between the upper right corner of the screen and back to the road very rapidly. It shouldn't be appreciably different to looking down slightly at a speedo and back to the road. It's a fairly rapid eye movement.
Yes agreed & I also know when I am driving too fast by hearing the (optional) offset chime, +3mph in my case without even needing to look at the screen.

I think a load of old Toyotas like the Yaris also has a speedo in the middle
My daughter has this. It's up very high, almost at the bottom of the windscreen so really isn't a problem - easier to see than in a binnacle.

I don't think the M3/MY speedo is an issue either. A large digital figure is much easier to see quickly than many cars with an analogue speedo. Looking down or down & left doesn't really make much difference.

I proper HUD would be my preference, but the M3/MY are all about stripping out manufacturing costs so we ain't getting one :(

Reactions: Oxid8ter
The indicators were exactly what I expected, but I’m sure someone will be along shortly to tell us he’s using them wrong or something
Of course, we would. He clearly says he doesn’t like all buttons on wheels type - so not very open to the new design. Also, why do you have to turn the wheel first and then indicate when you are moving out of lay-by parking. As far as I can remember my driving instructor in those old days taught me MSM rather than MMS. He is doing it wrongly @Zilla91 :)

This isn’t the first video review I’ve seen where the conclusion is that the NVH levels are only slightly improved from the previous gen model. And that the ride, whilst better, isn’t night and day better. So, evolutionary, not a step change. The new interior looks the.biggest step up, albeit that the stalks continue to provoke controversy.

Of course, we would. He clearly says he doesn’t like all buttons on wheels type - so not very open to the new design. Also, why do you have to turn the wheel first and then indicate when you are moving out of lay-by parking. As far as I can remember my driving instructor in those old days taught me MSM rather than MMS. He is doing it wrongly @Zilla91 :)
I knew you wouldn’t disappoint 😆

Perhaps Tesla should put the indicators on the touch screen as well. At least they wouldn’t move. Is putting them on the steering wheel the dumbest thing they’ve done - must be close.
Maybe start a poll :)
Have to come up with a shortlist though
Vision based auto windscreen wipers and removal of parking sensors should probably be on there as well but the indicators might still clinch it.

Is it hard to get to the point of not having a speedo?

I may not be thinking of all circumstances, but I think the only time I need it is to check I'm not speeding.

If the car won't exceed speed limit, or chimes, then do I still need to look at speedo?

I've never met anyone who has a to-the-side speedo that has a problem with it, but I know plenty who say they can't see THIS or THAT instrument because steering wheel is in the way.

It’s interesting to see the “pro indicators on the steering wheel” lobby have decided to move to the pro speedo offset as a justification for the former being ok. I get that some just resist change, but I’m still waiting to hear one good reason for the change or an advantage of steering wheel mounted indicators.

Does anyone think it’s actually better? If so, why?

Or is the best you can get ‘It’s not worse’?

I’ll offer an advantage of stalks - they’re always in the same place, and a physical downward move will always be to indicate left and an upward movement, right. No pressing of one of two buttons which feel exactly the same other than a slightly different location relative to other features of the steering wheel and without a visual indication you’re hoping you’ve hit the right one

It’s interesting to see the “pro indicators on the steering wheel” lobby have decided to move to the pro speedo offset as a justification for the former being ok. I get that some just resist change, but I’m still waiting to hear one good reason for the change or an advantage of steering wheel mounted indicators.

Does anyone think it’s actually better? If so, why?

Or is the best you can get ‘It’s not worse’?
Playing Devil’s Advocate - I guess if you can say ‘it’s not worse’, and there is a manufacturing benefit (like cost saving), then it might be a sound decision.

It would be interesting to know what the cost saving is if that’s Tesla’s justification for doing it. Clearly it’s not £hundreds per car and I suspect it’s absolutely minimal.
Acording to google, tesla has sold over 4.5 million to date. If they save £1 per car that is over 4.5 million extra in their account to put it into perspective.