Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love some of the new updates on the M3H (particularly better suspension and reduced cabin noise), but like many others I'm a little worried about the lack of stalks. Indicating aside, my main concern is around the speed and fluency it takes to move between Drive and Reverse. My driveway backs onto quite a busy road and I have a blind spot until I've reversed out a little. Sometimes I find that I need to quickly move back into my driveway to allow traffic to come by, and this is currently very easy in my 2022 M3 - a quick flick of the stalk that's become so instinctive that it's split second. I also find this rapid changing between Drive and Reverse incredibly helpful in town for 3 point turns and parking, it's one of the most satisfying things about the M3 for me.

A question for those who have a M3H (and owned an 'older' M3): how fluid and fast are changes between Drive and Reverse compared to the older M3?

Has this ever been definitively confirmed or is cost saving as the reason speculation?
I’m not sure anything is ever proven with Tesla. The announcement of no stalks seemed to coincide with investor calls and simplifying build and reducing parts (the big ones being the giga casting). People put 2 and 2 together.

However I doubt any choice is based on one criteria, it might save a few quid, it might be a genuine styling choice, it might be to create a viral talking point, add others you can think of, and it’s likely to be a mix of all of them.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Sometimes I find that I need to quickly move back into my driveway to allow traffic to come by, and this is currently very easy in my 2022 M3 - a quick flick of the stalk that's become so instinctive that it's split second
You live in Cambridge where traffic rarely moves - so you have all the time in the world to use the screen to switch :)

Whilst cost savings is quite plausible it is frequently stated as definitive fact. I suspect as others have said that there are other factors than solely cost savings
They initially intended for the new S an X to have a yoke, and with that stalks would have been a bit awkward looking so they put controls on the yoke, like an F1 car I guess. They then carried that through to the wheel that replaced the yoke, and from there it is now just part of Tesla's design that's carrying though to new cars. It's part of making the cars feel 'modern' or 'futuristic' which I would bet wins more customers than it puts off, just like removing buttons and dials did already.

How can removing the stalks be a cost saving when they have added ambient lights and the rear screen in the back. These must cost a lot more than the stalks.

There is cost of parts and time to fit. Latter will affect production line and potentially have cost/throughput implications.

I don’t know the answer, but my son works for a European car manufacturer so have a bit of inside knowledge on how build of cars work and what pinch points there may be on the line - which may or may not be similar. So I am just using another vehicle manufacturer as an example which may not directly relate to Tesla’s scenario, or it might.

As far as lights built into dashboard is concerned, that will likely by a complete sub assembly so complexity of that would have minimal effect on production line speed.

But something like a stalks may quite possibly need to be fitted as individual parts on the production line (various reasons for me to believe that they would not form part of a sub assembly) so could possibly affect production line throughput/complexity.

Reactions: boombap
Received my M3 Highland LR yesterday having previously run a M3P since December 2019.

Only done about 100 miles but initial impressions are that it's a really nice upgrade to the previous car.

As has been well documented already, the ride is massively improved but I'm comparing it to a P so have to keep that in mind. The P's ride was just awful on our roads and I'm glad to be rid of that aspect of the car. The wheels just seem to be much more isolated from the cabin so you don't get the same crashing over crappy road surfaces. Wind noise is also much improved which I guess is down to better build and the full double glazing.

The lack of stalks doesn't bother me, but I think it will be the gear changing via the screen that will take longer to get used to than the indicators. Having quick access to a few more functions via the wheel buttons is nice.

The heated steering wheel is great - really missed that on my previous one. No idea why they didn't have them from the start.

Rear screen seems like a bit of a gimmick but handy to have I guess.

General fit and finish just seems much better all round but will be interesting to see how it holds up over time.

Nice that it comes with a 128GB USB stick in the glove compartment although reinserting it is quite fiddly if you have even moderately sized hands due to how narrow the glove compartment is.

The parking visualisation seems pretty good to me although I tend to use the camera feeds when reversing. Never relied on the ultrasonic sensors so I don't miss those at all.

Performance isn't as neck snapping as the previous car, but it's plenty fast enough as it is.

Certainly seems quite a bit more efficient than my previous car but will have to see over time.

I'm going to sound like a complete Tesla fanboy here which I'm really not (honest!) but I just can't imagine enjoying any other car as much as this one as my day to day runner right now.

How can removing the stalks be a cost saving when they have added ambient lights and the rear screen in the back. These must cost a lot more than the stalks.

Hmmm how to make this even simpler... if I cancel Netflix, but sign up to Disney and Amazon, cancelling Netflix still saved me money! :)

Arguably, the fact extra new stuff needed 'funding' makes it even more likely the motivation for removing stalks was to offset cost.

Arguably, the fact extra new stuff needed 'funding' makes it even more likely the motivation for removing stalks was to offset cost.

I'll start by saying that Its fair to say that everyone would prefer stalks given the choice.

However we cant dismiss that back in 2020 the base model started at £40,500 including the 3k government grant and since then we've seen additions of upgraded lights, heat pump, computer, motorised boot, usb key, screen at the rear, interior lighting, bigger capacity/longer range battery, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel and the base car now costs £39,990 all in. That is not too bad imho when you also take inflation into account.