Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in March 2023 Tesla sold 10,493 cars in the UK. This March they sold 6,995. That’s a drop in sales of 33.34%. Market share fell from 3.65% in March 2023 to 2.2% this March.

I’d describe that as absolutely disastrous, but I’m sure someone will be along soon to explain why it’s actually fantastic news for Tesla.

Reactions: Hurricane
So in March 2023 Tesla sold 10,493 cars in the UK. This March they sold 6,995. That’s a drop in sales of 33.34%. Market share fell from 3.65% in March 2023 to 2.2% this March.

I’d describe that as absolutely disastrous, but I’m sure someone will be along soon to explain why it’s actually fantastic news for Tesla.
Just for reference this has all the figures on it: March plate-change new car sales: winners and losers

"Overall fleet sales rose 29.6% as the sector continues to recover following the constrained supply of previous years. Registrations by private buyers fell by -7.7%, which the SMMT attributed to a “challenging economic backdrop” of low growth, weak consumer confidence and high interest rates."

I'm going to hazard a guess that Tesla's huge price drops last year have hurt their fleet sales as they like reasonably predictable depreciation of their assets. Private sales are down so they cannot really help plus private buyers which don't get all the tax benefits of an EV could also be more likely to be swayed by the media campaign against EV's.

Agree it's not good, hence why I'm surprised they didn't lower the APR on the Model 3 but have increased it. Pretty much every other brand is selling their EV's with 0% APR now because they are struggling to shift them vs the amount they are building or need to sell to avoid fines if they also make ICE vehicles. Model 3 despite a reasonable sticker price is not a good monthly payment price for private buyers right now.

Don't drop the list price, bring the APR's down though so you do drop it for private buyers. Give users some free supercharger miles, throw in Enhanced Autopilot into the price and drop the FSD update price (which does nothing really in UK anyway). Offer some other paint colours for free, etc, etc. Something to increase demand.

Finally need to advertise.

Reactions: MD70 and Pagemakers
But but they're all waiting for a refresh they don't even know exists

Don't drop the list price, bring the APR's down though so you do drop it for private buyers. Give users some free supercharger miles, throw in Enhanced Autopilot into the price and drop the FSD update price (which does nothing really in UK anyway). Offer some other paint colours for free, etc, etc. Something to increase demand.
And whack some indicators in so that you don't alienate potential customers

But but they're all waiting for a refresh they don't even know exists

And whack some indicators in so that you don't alienate potential customers
So looking for some figures, see in Europe they list 251k Model Y's sold last year and 100k Model 3 so it's a lot lower but still a pretty significant part of their business.

I agree removing the indicators will stop some people buying the car, I'd love to know what kind of impact it's really having but suspect we might never know. A normal company might revert on this but I expect even if it's hurting on Model 3, Elon will go all in and remove them on the Model Y anyway in the refresh. I get there's people that have the car and say they get used to it, I suspect for many that might be true but there's still plenty that will simply refuse to even try it to give it a chance either way.

Reactions: Simonsquiff
I'm going to hazard a guess that Tesla's huge price drops last year have hurt their fleet sales as they like reasonably predictable depreciation of their assets.

Not sure this really holds up, the real price drops on other vehicles were as much as if not more than what Tesla did.

Don’t forget other manufacturers increased their RRPs and stopped ‘discounts’ and incentives, Tesla just did the former.

Tesla dropped their prices but they are still up on early 2021 except for the Model 3 SR.

And there's plenty that will buy the car without even knowing the stalks have gone. See also USS.
Not sure it's plenty but they've 14 days to return it. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think most would do a test drive before buying a car though? Be easy in a test drive to miss that USS isn't there but you won't be able to drive the car and miss that there's no stalks.

Be some that get caught out even if they did a test drive as they might have tried a pre-Highland and then got the refresh without knowing it was coming.

Not sure this really holds up, the real price drops on other vehicles were as much as if not more than what Tesla did.

Don’t forget other manufacturers increased their RRPs and stopped ‘discounts’ and incentives, Tesla just did the former.

Tesla dropped their prices but they are still up on early 2021 except for the Model 3 SR.
Not sure I follow. Tesla dropped their RRP and then your talking about others putting their prices up and stopping discounts.

Also doesn't matter what prices are vs 2021 really, what matters is if you buy a car say for £60k one month with an expectation that it'll be worth say £35k after 4 years and next month it's £50k new and your car will now be worth £25k after 4 years. For a fleet buyer, they want more predictability in residuals than that.

Reactions: Tonyf and MD70
I'm going to hazard a guess that Tesla's huge price drops last year have hurt their fleet sales as they like reasonably predictable depreciation of their assets.
I would imagine fleet sales have tanked because a 2024 Model 3 is roughly £200/month more than it was in 2021 with most providers. You could have a Model 3 for £800/month, or you could have a Hyundai Ioniq 6 for roughly half that price with the same spec but 800v architecture.

Not sure it's plenty but they've 14 days to return it. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think most would do a test drive before buying a car though? Be easy in a test drive to miss that USS isn't there but you won't be able to drive the car and miss that there's no stalks.

Be some that get caught out even if they did a test drive as they might have tried a pre-Highland and then got the refresh without knowing it was coming.
When USS dropped there were quite a few people who asked where it was and admitted they hadn't even had a test drive. See also EAP/FSD.

When USS dropped there were quite a few people who asked where it was and admitted they hadn't even had a test drive. See also EAP/FSD.
Not saying it doesn't happen but you could also have had a test drive and not noticed there's no USS also. Just don't see how you'd test drive a Highland and not notice there's no stalks. Therefore those that test drive are deciding it's fine for them or at least when I spoke to the guy at Milton Keynes after my test drive, the lack of stalks is stopping some buying the car.

How many sales might they have got but now won't because of the lack of stalks. Something small like 5%, 20% or maybe it's even higher at 40 - 50%? Who knows and while some do say they get used to it or even prefer it afterwards, you'd only know that after owning the car for a while. Plenty just won't take that chance.

I don't see anyway it's a positive selling point causing you to want to pick the Highland over another car. It's a negative point that you might decide you can live with and before some jump in, decide that you like it in the end or wasn't as big deal as you thought.

I don't disagree. I was just saying that there are a lot of people who don't even do that basic level of research or test drive. I was genuinely shocked that people would plonk down 10s of thousands of pounds without the most basic of research, but this forum proves otherwise.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
I don't see anyway it's a positive selling point causing you to want to pick the Highland over another car. It's a negative point that you might decide you can live with and before some jump in, decide that you like it in the end or wasn't as big deal as you thought.
The narrative can be different rather than fitting with stalks as positive selling point and no stalk as negative one. If that is the only way to look at this sales data then Model 3 shouldn’t be such a success story as it did in 2019. Because it broke all the stuff normal car buyers thought a car should have. And stalk is just one among those various buttons that got lost in this new age transformation of what a car should be like.

The Tesla buying (Model 3) crowd demography (atleast in NA) is overwhelmingly male. Eighty-three percent of drivers were men, compared to 49% of drivers for all other vehicles. Tesla owners are also typically younger; around 70% of drivers are 34 or younger, falling primarily into the millennial and Gen Z generations. And most live in California.

This is not a crowd that goes and buys a car that Uncle John or Joe took them to the show room and given his stamp of approval - after doing the routine tyre check, the classic thud check and indicator check (sorry stalks folk you can’t do that).

The point is all of Model 3 H issues need not be seen only via stalks! I think this has become a really stalking issue :)

The narrative can be different rather than fitting with stalks as positive selling point and no stalk as negative one. If that is the only way to look at this sales data then Model 3 shouldn’t be such a success story as it did in 2019. Because it broke all the stuff normal car buyers thought a car should have. And stalk is just one among those various buttons that got lost in this new age transformation of what a car should be like.

The Tesla buying (Model 3) crowd demography (atleast in NA) is overwhelmingly male. Eighty-three percent of drivers were men, compared to 49% of drivers for all other vehicles. Tesla owners are also typically younger; around 70% of drivers are 34 or younger, falling primarily into the millennial and Gen Z generations. And most live in California.

This is not a crowd that goes and buys a car that Uncle John or Joe took them to the show room and given his stamp of approval - after doing the routine tyre check, the classic thud check and indicator check (sorry stalks folk you can’t do that).

The point is all of Model 3 H issues need not be seen only via stalks! I think this has become a really stalking issue :)
So remember we are talking about new car sales. There will be lots of Tesla owners, espdcially in the US where Model 3 was around longer that have a second hand car. I suspect in the UK the average age of a person that buys a new Model 3 is probably a bit older and is going to be less willing to give up on their stalks.

Early days there wasn't really any choice, if you wanted an EV it was pretty much a Tesla or maybe a Leaf. Early adopters would be fine accepting many of the differences a Tesla brings. Now though at the volumes they ship, they need to attract people from all walks of life. No stalks when there's now lots of good EV's from other brands, it's easier to turn people away.

You can claim it's a positive, you must see even in a forum of people that must like Tesla quite a bit to spend our time here talking about them it's not 100% support for the change. If you go outside of this forum and it's Tesla bias it will be even less support. I'm 100% sure that not having stalks will have cost Tesla some sales, I just don't know the level of impact.

I feel also be pretty sure that if they left the stalks in, no one would be complaining in the UK that they hadn't removed them.

Tesla was/is not made for UK market. It is an American car that will cater to their market first and the rest follows irrespective of where a model is launched.
Even in the US, some complained on the Model S / Y when the stalks were removed. However Tesla is a global car company that sells in many different markets, they need to consider the differences of each of those markets if they want to succeed.

Also this is the UK part of the forum so frankly it’s a UK based discussion. They aren’t catering to our market as well as they used to.