Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So....any thoughts on when the SR cars will ship? And if they will just be software locked LR cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the title says, now that Tesla has given their Q4 guidance and they're shipping LR models to all states for previous Tesla owners does anyone have thoughts on when they'll start shipping the 220 mile standard range version?

Also, any thoughts on whether they'll just software lock the battery to keep manufacturing as simple as possible? Tesla has certainly shown a willingness to do that before. The advantages would be that they could capture extra revenue after the sale, and can keep everything on one manufacturing line. Disadvantage of wasting cells (although I think they are over that particular bottleneck) and possibly lower profits depending on how many software unlock down the road.

Yeah I know those were the published specs, but to my knowledge no Standard Range car has actually been produced yet & Tesla has been known to change their minds about things in the past.

Like, for example, the analogue to this case--40 kWh Model S. Specs were created, but the vehicle never actually shipped with 40 kWh pack--it was a software-locked 60 kWh. Of course the plan at the time it finally shipped was to make that a very short-term thing, but they've done software-locked packs in other cases, as well.

I'd still bet against them doing it here, but I also wouldn't rule it out. There's an up-front cost for sure, but if they think they could get any sort of significant percentage of the SR buyers to take the software unlock during ownership, that's a potentially large additional revenue stream over time that also helps them keep cell production volume (and thus per-cell cost) dropping for *all* their products.

"Early 18"

tmp.jpg

Like, for example, the analogue to this case--40 kWh Model S. Specs were created, but the vehicle never actually shipped with 40 kWh pack--it was a software-locked 60 kWh. Of course the plan at the time it finally shipped was to make that a very short-term thing, but they've done software-locked packs in other cases, as well.
That was a different situation. Tesla cancelled the S40 before any of the cars were made. For the very small number of preorders for the S40 they provided a software locked 60 rather than cancelling the orders.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and Gen3
That was a different situation. Tesla cancelled the S40 before any of the cars were made. For the very small number of preorders for the S40 they provided a software locked 60 rather than cancelling the orders.

Indeed, as I alluded to. But they've done it in other cases, as well. 60 to 75. AP hardware on all cars. There's a cost for those who don't buy the upsell, but there are also benefits to Tesla. Data in the AP hardware case.

In this case, it's increased cell volume / lower per-cell cost, plus simplifying the line while working a ramp that they're having trouble ramping to plan.

Again, I don't think they'd do this here, as even if you assume Tesla's got a 50% margin on the LR battery, that's a $4500 hit for anyone who doesn't buy the upsell. But the cost isn't as high as many seen to think. For example, let's say that was their margin, and they save say 10% in cell volume margin improvements plus a few hundred bucks/car by simplifying/improving throughout of the line via not changing out pack size during production. Further, assume 15% of SR owners upgrade during ownership. Tesla would charge a grand more for the upgrade than at build time, so that's a $10k charge against $4500 cost on 15% of SR vehicles. $5500 addl profit on 15% of cars. Say, $350 improvement to margin on *all* cars by simplifying the line and increasing volume.

Let's assume the steady state production is evenly split between SR and LR. This would mean Tesla's cost before upsell is $4150 on SRs ($4500 - $350 line savings) and additional profit of $350 on LRs. Net of $1900/car across the 3 line.

Now add back the $10k from 15% of SR buyers, or 7.5% of the fleet. That's $750/car. Net cost is now $1150/car across the line.

Now, some portion of those cars will be traded in, and Tesla resells them all as LRs, making back further some of the up-front cost (realistically all of it for the vehicles they get back as trades, as LRs will surely sell for $4k more than SRs). If 40% of 3s are traded back to Tesla, we've now made additional profit across the line.

So what at first looks like a $4500 hit on each SR car may very well be a net-even or long-term profitable proposition.

These numbers were pulled from thin air, are likely wrong, etc. I don't think they'll do this, as I said above. But don't toss it out as a crazy thought as the long-term cost is far lower than it seems when just taking the $9k sticker price and assuming Tesla eats it.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Indeed, as I alluded to. But they've done it in other cases, as well. 60 to 75. AP hardware on all cars. There's a cost for those who don't buy the upsell, but there are also benefits to Tesla. Data in the AP hardware case...

The 60(75) was a failed experiment that was tried because there wasn't the Model 3. It was dropped pretty quickly. Probably too many downsells.

AP has the problem that the hardware is used for the safety systems and that they're releasing the hardware ahead of the software. Deferral at purchase makes much more sense.

Reactions: brkaus
I highly doubt Tesla will fit more cells than what is absolutely necessary in the SR model. If they offer this to all customers then can you imagine how many LR customers will opt for the SR model to try out the car and upgrade the battery if they end up needing the extra range? I suspect a large no of customers will go this route. Not a good business decision in my opinion and leaving a lot of money on the table.

Also, I don't know that only building one capacity pack simplifies their assembly that much as opposed to building two. The physical packs are the same, the only difference is the number of cells. Everything else is the same, the number of modules and the number of bricks per module. There may be a separate line for creating bricks with a different number of cells in them but the assembly of bricks into modules and modules into packs will be the same.