Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, does it bother anyone else ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when you tell the family to do laundry while the sun is out and they only half listen to you ;-)

Me: I like the spikes inside the curve.
Them: That's what the Powerwalls are for.

1685471174635.png

It used to bother me but I'm reformed. Currently the only thing that I really pay attention to is car charging. Everything else fits inside the Powerwalls without any real thought (if the grid is up). Specifically I will do laundry and run the dishwasher when it is convenient for the humans.

Oh, I should add that I run in "self-powered" so it doesn't matter when the energy gets pulled from the battery. The short version of the long story running self powered is making sure I get "full credit" for all of my production.

We still behave during peak hours like there are no Powerwalls, unless it's for something important like baking cookies. :)

Agreed, the whole point of getting Powerwalls was to ignore the TOU/peak time and just act normally. The Utilities gaslight ratepayers by blaming their "peak time" usage for why their energy bills are so high. With PV + ESS (edit: and NEM 2.0) you can ignore the gaslighting... which is where I derive the payback for my ROI on this stuff.

The only behavior worth modifying was scheduling an EV to charge overnight. But in the future if they ever enabled the "charge with excess solar" option then even then the whole point will be to just plug the car in and forget about it (edit: assuming the feature is smart enough to not charge with shoulder or peak time excess solar).

Agreed, the whole point of getting Powerwalls was to ignore the TOU/peak time and just act normally. The Utilities gaslight ratepayers by blaming their "peak time" usage for why their energy bills are so high. With PV + ESS (edit: and NEM 2.0) you can ignore the gaslighting... which is where I derive the payback for my ROI on this stuff.

The only behavior worth modifying was scheduling an EV to charge overnight. But in the future if they ever enabled the "charge with excess solar" option then even then the whole point will be to just plug the car in and forget about it (edit: assuming the feature is smart enough to not charge with shoulder or peak time excess solar).
I Just plug in after lunch. No need for an app to charge EV from solar
Or I could plug in and just set the timer to charge after lunch

We have enough solar now that I’m happy to let the house run the way the empress wants it to run.

I do offer up the occasional non-judgmental tidbit - stuff like “if you dry that laundry in an hour instead of now we can make those evil PG&E sonsofbitches pay us 3 bucks for our extra solar at peak rates”.

Sometimes 3 bucks in the piggy bank is worth it - sometimes not. Our bill forecast for this period is -$400 though, so it must be sinking in at least a little bit. :)

While “self powered” should probably be the altruistic goal, I’m perpetually mad enough at PG&E to make sure that my singular objective is to pay them as little as humanly possible.

ZTesla, You need to use more energy, so do l… :D Is your ground mount array one axis tracker? I’m impressed with my 21.5Kw peak solar, and 3.1Kw on a 4.0KW north solar array. I’m roof mounted, all four azimuths…
Don't worry, I use plenty in winter with mini-splits for heating. See the chart below.
I can crank the panels up/down, so yes, one-axis but manual not tracked. Figured it was one less thing to break, and gets me out to check everything over about once a week.
@CrazyRabbit , @zTesla - what software is this?
There are a few on Github. If memory serves, this is the one I used as a baseline: GitHub - jasonacox/Powerwall-Dashboard: Grafana Dashboard for Tesla Powerwall

1685624611563.png