Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So far so good MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Want to balance the people having issues after MCU2 uograde. (Not to dismiss their issues, just to say not all is bad)

2015 S90D. Had MCU2 upgrade with radio upgrade done. Lancaster PA SC.

couldn’t have been smoother. SC gave me a loaner. Dropped car off at 8 am, had a text by 1 car done.

found all presets (profiles?) all retained. Only three things I did was repair WiFi, my cell phone and garage door. Even my radio favorites (only the FM obviously) still there.

as for sound system, may have been a little different, but playing with equalizer seemed to get all acceptable. Rear camera may be a little dimmer, but usable.

voice commands are now totally reliable, and the web browser is no actually usable.

AP1 car, was charged $1500 + $500 for radio. (Was afraid my car was caught in the recent price increase).

not thrilled to spend the money (I think MCU1 is a crappy design and with all the ‘ bloat ware’ it can’t handle it. But, I’m planning on keeping the car for a while. Definitely makes the car feel like it should, with no lock ups or extreme sluggishness.

I just got the car back from the upgrade on Monday. It took my SC 2 days and I was dumb enough to drop the car off on a Friday (so technically without a car for 4 days). Uber voucher made being without the car a bit harder. Also got the car back with a broken driver's door handle.

However - I love the upgrade. Mine was a clean slate - everything was cleared out and I was ok with that. I bought the car used so it was fun being the one to set everything up. It felt like a new car in several ways - but the clean slate make it feel more so than expected. A few of the "radio" playlists were there but that was all that linked the pointed to the fact anything back to me. I too did the FM upgrade.

LTE signal is way better. Everything is way faster. XM option showed up (new to me) but doesn't work - I imagine I don't have the sat antenna. I didn't realize this till today but the car is ready from sleep in about the time it takes for me to open the door an sit down - absolutely love how quick it now is.

One of the main reasons for this upgrade was bubbles in both the main screen and IC. It is unbelievably satisfying to see a bubble free screens again.

I had an initial issue with the proximity sensors not working correctly but a reset fixed it. Mobile Service came to my house this morning to fix the door handle and unexpectedly didn't charge me for the repair.

Upgrade is indeed worth it.

Good info. I have an AP1 MCU1 car, and am very on the fence about this upgrade.

I don't see myself ever using netflix or games or whatever in the car...faster response times on the screen might be nice, but i'm not sure if it's $1500 nice.

Like you, I'll probably end up doing it if I get screen yellowing or bubbling, but not until then.

Want to balance the people having issues after MCU2 uograde. (Not to dismiss their issues, just to say not all is bad)

2015 S90D. Had MCU2 upgrade with radio upgrade done. Lancaster PA SC.

couldn’t have been smoother. SC gave me a loaner. Dropped car off at 8 am, had a text by 1 car done.

found all presets (profiles?) all retained. Only three things I did was repair WiFi, my cell phone and garage door. Even my radio favorites (only the FM obviously) still there.

as for sound system, may have been a little different, but playing with equalizer seemed to get all acceptable. Rear camera may be a little dimmer, but usable.

voice commands are now totally reliable, and the web browser is no actually usable.

AP1 car, was charged $1500 + $500 for radio. (Was afraid my car was caught in the recent price increase).

not thrilled to spend the money (I think MCU1 is a crappy design and with all the ‘ bloat ware’ it can’t handle it. But, I’m planning on keeping the car for a while. Definitely makes the car feel like it should, with no lock ups or extreme sluggishness.
I just had mine done too last week on my 2017 S90D.
Was done the same day.
Two minor issues:

1. TACC didn’t work. Had to reload 1 of 2 software packages. Found this out right away. I think I was the first upgrade my new service center ever did. All new people.

2. USB ports in console didn’t work. Mobile service came out to fix that right away. Plug wasn’t pushed all the way in on back of new MCU.

so far so good on everything else. I wasn’t having any MCU 1 issues but I wanted the upgrade. It is hella quick. I recommend getting it done if you have AP2 or above. Sentry mode/dashcam is slick. Especially the ability to play back in case of an accident.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Also just had this done at our new service center in Boise. Got an M3 for a loaner. Dropped off at 8:30 AM was done at 2 PM. I also got HW3 installed so now have visualizations on the IC. The "blue" of the car is a different blue than it was since the IC was also replaced. $2500 + tax for me.

Preserved my XM and FM stations. New XM radio serial number so did the online process to switch radios from old to new. Took 10 minutes with the car outside to get the activation download from the satellite cluster.

I have premium connectivity and FUSC, both of which were preserved.

The car spent the first 20 minutes of driving calibrating the cameras at which time autopilot was enabled. The service advisor asked if I wouldn't mind setting up Homelink, cell phones, WiFi, and profiles when the car was returned. His explanation was they didn't want to move any erroneous data. They are simple processes so no problem for me to do. He also said that downloading maps was the longest process for them. The actual HW install was under 2 hours.

Also had 2021.4.15 as a pending FW upgrade which I did when I got home. That was followed by a number of game updates now that I have an MCU that can do more than Backgammon.

Noticeable UI things that are now better include album art actually showing up for XM, quickness of the MCU, a workable browser. Have not tried voice commands yet. Phone (Android) connectivity for contacts, recent calls has a better organization on the MCU screen. I'm sure there's more to find and a lot of it is because I was stuck at 2020.44 before this upgrade.

The only thing they forgot was to put the cubby back. It was on the rear seat.

AP2.0 S75D EAP just upgraded to MCU2. Lifetime Supercharging & Data retained.

Super responsive. New IC is excellent since I was getting some yellowing on the old.

Gained the following:
1. FSD Computer/ Preview Visualizations in IC
2. New IC & MCU w/ touch screens
3. “Real” Sentry Mode
4. TeslaCam functionality
5. Reliable and Instant Voice Commands
6. Fully functional Web Browser
7. Tesla Theatre
8. Dog Mode
9. Plethora of High Resolution Games

I did not opt for the radio upgrade. I only Slacker stream and use Bluetooth radio.

The process has been seamless and was a great experience. Only oddity, is selecting Backgammon provokes a reboot which is odd and irritating as I enjoy that one. Anyone else have that particular bug? (2021.4.15)

Finally pulled the plug and upgraded to MCU2. Boy, glad that I did it. It’s like I have new car now. Great stuff and will keep me up to date with my 2016 S until cybertruck arrives. By the way peps from old Tesla forums holla!

Reactions: SO16
My car had some issues discovering my Wi-Fi network after the upgrade, otherwise all is good. I opted out of the radio module to get it done in one day, and I almost had to accept a loaner due to issues with one of the updates.

I did the upgrade to MCU2 last week, it's a P85D AP1, for $1,500. When I got the car back, I thought they made a mistake or they installed a bad refurbished part. The screen glass was horrible, it's got full of marks, scratches and bubbles. Mine originally was mint. After I scheduled another service to get it looked at and sending photos of it, it was discovered that the plastic protective film was not removed during the installation. I removed it myself and saved a trip. The only beef I have at this time is Youtube Log In issues which I think is prevalent everywhere. Glad to have Netflix and Youtube onboard. It's a perfect match with having lifetime Premium Connectivity.

Reactions: WhiteWi and SO16
MCU2 upgrade done last week on 2015 S 85D. Appointment for Monday morning at 9:45. App said estimated completion 5 PM, OK. Wait, 5 PM Wednesday - what ? Link provided for Uber credits to get me home. Pick up the car and YES, it's like getting a new car. I figured I would have to reset garage door setting, wifi, etc., but not everything.

Still unable to get door handles to auto present. Menu setting is set for auto-present, but the passive entry setting is grayed out. Any ideas ?