Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So glad I had my Model 3 wrapped!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, if I wasn’t driving 80 miles round trip daily and having to leave my car parked in a crowded parking lot all day (read: door scuffs galore), I probably wouldn’t have paid the extra $$.
Giving this further thought, I am actually in a valley that is topographically prone to significant wind advisories, and that includes a fair amount of sandblasting. While I can minimize vehicular exposure to these atmospheric events, I likely won't be able to completely avoid it. If I wasn't already stretching to afford the 3, I might more more seriously consider one of these options.

Giving this further thought, I am actually in a valley that is topographically prone to significant wind advisories, and that includes a fair amount of sandblasting. While I can minimize vehicular exposure to these atmospheric events, I likely won't be able to completely avoid it. If I wasn't already stretching to afford the 3, I might more more seriously consider one of these options.

A good old fashioned application of wax can help protect against sandblasting too, and all it costs is some elbow grease and a few dollars for a nice wax.

Funny, I was just looking at the foam lance on amazon the other day and was debating about it. Guess I am getting it now!! ;)

I also had my 2013 Model S fully wrapped. I unfortunately had the pre-cut film applied. Didn't do my proper research on who could do it better. Still glad I got it. It has saved me on multiple occasions so already worth the money.

There are also foam cannons/lances on Amazon for about $20 that seem to be just as good (if not the same product) as the MTM. I recall seeing a YouTube video in which they were compared and found to perform the same. With my $20 cannon, $70 Ryobi electric pressure washer, and some soap, I'm good to go...

There are also foam cannons/lances on Amazon for about $20 that seem to be just as good (if not the same product) as the MTM. I recall seeing a YouTube video in which they were compared and found to perform the same. With my $20 cannon, $70 Ryobi electric pressure washer, and some soap, I'm good to go...

Well.... I looked into lower cost alternatives to the MTM. Here's why I chose the MTM;

1. The MTM includes documentation that lists all individual part numbers so that if a small $4 piece of plastic or brass fails you can order just that piece from MTM rather than throwing cheap foam lance in garbage and replacing it.
2. The MTM has a foam dispensing adjustment in the output head that works pretty well. Many of the cheap ones do not.
3. The MTM includes the adapter needed to use the foam lance with the type of pressure washer interface found on most gas pressure washers. This was a $15 part if I purchased this separately for use with my gas pressure washer... it might not matter for those who have an electric pressure washer.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue in NC
I'm more interested in how this happened:

upload_2018-4-17_12-22-27.png

Boom chicka wah wah

We had a NASTY windstorm last week. Sustained winds of 35mph and gusts up to 50mph that lasted all day. I could hear my car getting absolutely sand-blasted both to and from work. I was hearing pretty good sized pebbles hit my car as I drove through the various sand clouds. Ugh.

Finally had time to wash her up today and not a single chip or scratch or anything after I was done! My windshield is starting to get etched, but that is pretty unavoidable out here in the desert, unfortunately.

I am very happy with the $$ I spent on that wrap. It is a full body Suntek one. I am using the green Optimum no-rinse and the two bucket method to keep her clean - nothing fancy.

Before - yikes!
View attachment 294273

Halfway done:
View attachment 294274

All pretty again!!
View attachment 294275
Hello. I live a couple houses down from you. I tried sending you a direct message, but, it wont let me.

Ray

I pulled the trigger on a light duty electric pressure washer, a MTM foam lance, and some Chemical Guys Honeydew soap after seeing the recommendation in this thread. Looking forward to trying it out once everything arrives!

I've been using the Honeydew snow foam for a long time... the first thing you'll notice is how good is smells. I look forward to washing the car just to huff some of the honeydew soap scent ;) For anyone else reading this thread, don't even bother with the "foam" dispensers that attach to a normal hose. The foam cannons make an exponentially better coating and require very little scrubbing to clean the car.

I've been using the Honeydew snow foam for a long time... the first thing you'll notice is how good is smells. I look forward to washing the car just to huff some of the honeydew soap scent ;) For anyone else reading this thread, don't even bother with the "foam" dispensers that attach to a normal hose. The foam cannons make an exponentially better coating and require very little scrubbing to clean the car.
And that's how kids get started eating Tide pods.

I'm more interested in how this happened:

View attachment 294865

Boom chicka wah wah

LOL! I claim total innocence!! :oops:

Actually, you can see my proper frunk closure technique there, then when I saw how it left handprints showing how dirty the car was (which was a bit hard to capture since it was so coated) I decided to add an additional hand print for effect.

It was effective then! ;)

@voip-ninja OK, that was totally worth it! Had a bit of a learning curve figuring out how to connect the foam lance to my pressure washer, but I was totally stoked with the results!

Bonus: two missionaries from the LDS church were going door to door our street and they decided to pass me by when they saw I was busy foaming up my car. :D

20180420_181904.jpg

Last edited:
@voip-ninja OK, that was totally worth it! Had a bit of a learning curve figuring out how to connect the foam lance to my pressure washer, but I was totally stoked with the results!

Bonus: two missionaries from the LDS church were going door to door our street and they decided to pass me by when they saw I was busy foaming up my car. :D

View attachment 295561

Or as I say, “foam lance, I love you”.

:)

Reactions: Az_Rael
What are you thinking of the water usage with the pressure washer, more/less/same?

Hard to say - maybe the same amount as my two bucket ONR method or a little more? Was surprised at how little water it used, actually. Way less than a hose wash would. Not much runoff at all (at least until I got to the foam part, LOL)

Now the only hard part is getting the car dried before the desert sun and wind make water spots. But I don't think I am ready to go fully down the rabbit hole to a de-ionizer or air dryer yet. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
Hard to say - maybe the same amount as my two bucket ONR method or a little more? Was surprised at how little water it used, actually. Way less than a hose wash would. Not much runoff at all (at least until I got to the foam part, LOL)

Now the only hard part is getting the car dried before the desert sun and wind make water spots. But I don't think I am ready to go fully down the rabbit hole to a de-ionizer or air dryer yet. ;)

If your car is properly waxed (and I hope it is!) then a leaf blower with a narrow outlet works great. My neighbors look at me like I'm insane but eh, they're probably right.

You've embarked on a slippery slope by the way... I also live in the desert with hard water and I installed a water softener to keep the spots down. I say it's for the rest of the house but the secret is I really got it for the cars...

What are you thinking of the water usage with the pressure washer, more/less/same?
I'm quite sure that Pressure Washer washes use a lot let water than hose washes. You're getting much more pressure and effect than out of a regular hose nozzle. I've done a lot of regular hose washes and pressure washer washes and the amount of water collecting at the bottom of the driveway is much less with a pressure washer. It's somewhat counter-intuitive though.

I'm quite sure that Pressure Washer washes use a lot let water than hose washes. You're getting much more pressure and effect than out of a regular hose nozzle. I've done a lot of regular hose washes and pressure washer washes and the amount of water collecting at the bottom of the driveway is much less with a pressure washer. It's somewhat counter-intuitive though.

Yes I have a pressure washer setup but I was curious what her impression was in how it compared to her two bucket method.