Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I have had my Tesla Y for 4 Days ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... and I freakin love it! Quite a few of my friends have Teslas and are thrilled for me ... and wondered why it took me so long to come around. Yeah, yeah, I get it. Seriously, though, I can't stop driving this thing!

I do have a few of hiccups I need to get worked out and I turn to the community for guidance on some:

1 - finally got my phone paired with the car. But if I answer my phone then hang up after talking it "seems" as if my radio/streaming audio doesn't automatically go back to where it was. Maybe a one-time hiccup but I literally just experienced that. I'll keep looking for an answer

2 - I bought a Tesla Bike Rack and installed it myself (a feat in its own right) ... but when in reverse with the Bike Rack folded down with no bike ... I still get the in-car "stop" alarms/notifications that something is behind me when tryin g to back out of my driveway, etc. I've learned to live with it after 2 days ... but wondered if there is a solution not labeled "take the bike rack off when not in use?"

3 - I had my electrician install a 50/220 outlet in my garage in anticipation of my Tesla being delivered - I did not install a Tesla charger/station ... and (wrongly) assumed I could simply plug my Tesla charger into the wall. I have looked and looked and ordered four different adaptors as the go between ... for my Tesla plug and the wall. I hope that makes sense. I am not the brightest with this stuff. Alas, it seems there isn't an adaptor for my problem ... so I will bite the bullet and now order a Tesla Charger/Station for my garage. Make sense? Thoughts?

4 - My elementary school-aged son is embarrassed by the Tesla. Says I should have kept my old car that I've been driving since 2013 (I have been saving for 8 years to buy this car). Anyone else have that familial problem? Yeah, awkward ... but it's a real thing with my son. Oh, and my wife thinks the White interior is gaudy. I absolutely LOVE it ha ha

5 - Still getting comfortable with the "just get out of the car and walk away" feature. I am so used to dealing with keys ... then hitting the alarm button, etc. I'm sure everyone has dealt with that? Is there ever a way where the car is mistakenly left on when simply getting out and walking away? That's my biggest worry right now

Lastly ...

6 - I will also look on YouTube, etc., but I couldn't "Unlock" the back door(s) this morning at school drop off ... and quickly got embarrassed cuz I didn't know how to ... so I simply unlocked my door which (thankfully) unlocked all car doors. I'm sure it's a button on my side of the car ;)

That's it ... just giving my impressions so far ... and, oh, I will be taking the car for a spin again today because I can!

1 - finally got my phone paired with the car. But if I answer my phone then hang up after talking it "seems" as if my radio/streaming audio doesn't automatically go back to where it was. Maybe a one-time hiccup but I literally just experienced that. I'll keep looking for an answer
There are several bugs with the Bluetooth functionality on the Model Y, this may be one or normal behavior. Another known issue is phone calls that will start out with the volume all the way down so you can't hear the caller. Hopefully, a UI overhaul is coming soon based on tweets from Elon.

2 - I bought a Tesla Bike Rack and installed it myself (a feat in its own right) ... but when in reverse with the Bike Rack folded down with no bike ... I still get the in-car "stop" alarms/notifications that something is behind me when tryin g to back out of my driveway, etc. I've learned to live with it after 2 days ... but wondered if there is a solution not labeled "take the bike rack off when not in use?"
Have you tried the towing mode? Not sure what exactly that all does, but it may help. I have the hitch, but haven't used it for anything yet so haven't really looked into the tow mode setting.

3 - I had my electrician install a 50/220 outlet in my garage in anticipation of my Tesla being delivered - I did not install a Tesla charger/station ... and (wrongly) assumed I could simply plug my Tesla charger into the wall. I have looked and looked and ordered four different adaptors as the go between ... for my Tesla plug and the wall. I hope that makes sense. I am not the brightest with this stuff. Alas, it seems there isn't an adaptor for my problem ... so I will bite the bullet and now order a Tesla Charger/Station for my garage. Make sense? Thoughts?
You need to determine what actual outlet you have installed on that circuit. As mentioned previously, it's most likely a NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 to be able to handle a 50A load. But note that if you use the mobile charger that came with your car (and the appropriate adapter) it will max out at 32A.

4 - My elementary school-aged son is embarrassed by the Tesla. Says I should have kept my old car that I've been driving since 2013 (I have been saving for 8 years to buy this car). Anyone else have that familial problem? Yeah, awkward ... but it's a real thing with my son. Oh, and my wife thinks the White interior is gaudy. I absolutely LOVE it ha ha
My kids love our Tesla and aren't embarrassed at all. It's actually my wife's and is spec'ed to her liking! Why exactly is your son embarrassed?

5 - Still getting comfortable with the "just get out of the car and walk away" feature. I am so used to dealing with keys ... then hitting the alarm button, etc. I'm sure everyone has dealt with that? Is there ever a way where the car is mistakenly left on when simply getting out and walking away? That's my biggest worry right now
Yeah, this was a little weird at first trusting that it was going to turn off and lock itself. Works perfectly every time and is very nice. The other thing we do now as summer is starting here in AZ is set the AC to stay on at 72 degrees to keep the interior cool while we are out shopping, dining, or at the gym. So nice to come out to a car that's 72 inside vs 105.

6 - I will also look on YouTube, etc., but I couldn't "Unlock" the back door(s) this morning at school drop off ... and quickly got embarrassed cuz I didn't know how to ... so I simply unlocked my door which (thankfully) unlocked all car doors. I'm sure it's a button on my side of the car ;)
There is a Lock icon in the upper left on the screen. That's how you lock and unlock all of the doors while the car is not in Park. When it's in Park, you can still use that button or the Lock button above the car avatar on the left.

Enjoy the car - it's so weird when you go back to an ICE car and have to use the brakes, keys, and have no instant power!

... and I freakin love it! Quite a few of my friends have Teslas and are thrilled for me ... and wondered why it took me so long to come around. Yeah, yeah, I get it. Seriously, though, I can't stop driving this thing!

I do have a few of hiccups I need to get worked out and I turn to the community for guidance on some:

Lastly ...

That's it ... just giving my impressions so far ... and, oh, I will be taking the car for a spin again today because I can!
Wow my children range from 8yrs to 18 and they love the tesla. They don't want to go with my wife anymore.

Did you show him boom box, the arcade, fart mode, Santa and the rest? Crazy stuff for kids.

Unlocking the doors took me months! I would put it in to park in order to unlock the door. I recently noticed the lock symbol in the top left of the screen.....

Enjoy the car, and try out the acceleration boost sometime 😀

Reactions: E-Dizzy
There is no such thing as a "50/220" plug, you probably have either a NEMA 14-50, or a NEMA 6-50. Does it have 3 prongs or 4? Look at those adapters for the mobile connector in the Tesla shop.

Keith

Thanks for the response, Keith. I knew I didn't explain it well (I am not mechanically inclined). The electrician I use referred to it as a 50/220 outlet ... and it has four prongs. It is a huge looking outlet on the wall versus the normal ones inside a home. Obviously the chord/plug that Tesla delivered with my car don't fit. Thus, I was buying bigger "adaptors" that just aren't working. I appreciate your response regardless ... and the smart moves seems to be buying a Tesla wall charging station.

• Disagree
Reactions: msee67
Wow my children range from 8yrs to 18 and they love the tesla. They don't want to go with my wife anymore.

Did you show him boom box, the arcade, fart mode, Santa and the rest? Crazy stuff for kids.

Unlocking the doors took me months! I would put it in to park in order to unlock the door. I recently noticed the lock symbol in the top left of the screen.....

Enjoy the car, and try out the acceleration boost sometime 😀

At age 11 my son seems to be the practical one of the family and he is a bit too wise for his age. He thinks I bought it to keep up with the Jones' if that makes sense. I found the farting for the turn signal but it got to be too much after the 50th fart ;) I am sure he and his buddies will love it. I will definitely try the other features with him soon enough. Thanks for the response

Thanks for the response, Keith. I knew I didn't explain it well (I am not mechanically inclined). The electrician I use referred to it as a 50/220 outlet ... and it has four prongs. It is a huge looking outlet on the wall versus the normal ones inside a home. Obviously the chord/plug that Tesla delivered with my car don't fit. Thus, I was buying bigger "adaptors" that just aren't working. I appreciate your response regardless ... and the smart moves seems to be buying a Tesla wall charging station.
I wouldn't necessarily say you should get the wall charging station. You'll be spending $500 on that, plus paying your electrician to come install it. The NEMA 14-50 adapter is $45 at Gen 2 NEMA Adapters.

It's what I use and would recommend for the price.

Reactions: BLUBER
There are several bugs with the Bluetooth functionality on the Model Y, this may be one or normal behavior. Another known issue is phone calls that will start out with the volume all the way down so you can't hear the caller. Hopefully, a UI overhaul is coming soon based on tweets from Elon.

Have you tried the towing mode? Not sure what exactly that all does, but it may help. I have the hitch, but haven't used it for anything yet so haven't really looked into the tow mode setting.

You need to determine what actual outlet you have installed on that circuit. As mentioned previously, it's most likely a NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 to be able to handle a 50A load. But note that if you use the mobile charger that came with your car (and the appropriate adapter) it will max out at 32A.

My kids love our Tesla and aren't embarrassed at all. It's actually my wife's and is spec'ed to her liking! Why exactly is your son embarrassed?

Yeah, this was a little weird at first trusting that it was going to turn off and lock itself. Works perfectly every time and is very nice. The other thing we do now as summer is starting here in AZ is set the AC to stay on at 72 degrees to keep the interior cool while we are out shopping, dining, or at the gym. So nice to come out to a car that's 72 inside vs 105.

There is a Lock icon in the upper left on the screen. That's how you lock and unlock all of the doors while the car is not in Park. When it's in Park, you can still use that button or the Lock button above the car avatar on the left.

Enjoy the car - it's so weird when you go back to an ICE car and have to use the brakes, keys, and have no instant power!

I really really appreciate your response. I didn't know if my initial post was too long. But hey, we are all newer to Teslas and trying to help each other out.

I will try Towing mode and try to report back

I will check out the top left of the screen and other features on the screen. It's almost like when I saw an IPhone for the 1st time - mindblowing features and functionality

Like you, I live in a part of LA that gets staggeringly hot (and in recent years, humid). So a couple days ago I tried the feature where you Turn on the Climate control 10 or so mins in advance and by the time I got to my car - voila! Incredible. Now you can shop at multiple markets and not worry about items wilting in the crazy summer heat.

Again, i appreciate your response. Thanks ...

I wouldn't necessarily say you should get the wall charging station. You'll be spending $500 on that, plus paying your electrician to come install it. The NEMA 14-50 adapter is $45 at Gen 2 NEMA Adapters.

It's what I use and would recommend for the price.

Wow quick reply - thank you. So to be clear: the Gen 2 NEMA Adaptor fits the bigger outlets? I will buy now and report back. Again, thank you very much ...

Yes, the 14-50 is huge, like an electric dryer plug. Look at your plug receptacle shape/layout and look at the plugs on that page to see which one matches (mirrored because you are viewing it from the plug side).

Also, I would ask your electrician (or look on any paperwork you have) what receptacle was installed.

This sounds a lot like the NEMA 14-50 plug. The adapter from Tesla only costs $45. Can you upload a picture so we can confirm which adapter you’ll need?

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I’ve used Trailer mode with my bike rack and while the ultra sonic sensors no longer trigger the red lines, the turn indicators are flashing at much faster rate due to no trailer lights connected.

Wow quick reply - thank you. So to be clear: the Gen 2 NEMA Adaptor fits the bigger outlets? I will buy now and report back. Again, thank you very much ...
Why don't you post a pic of your outlet? People here will instantly tell you which outlet type it is. Because to be absolutely clear, a Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 will only fit the NEMA 14-50 outlet, and nothing else. There is not one single adapter that fits all bigger outlets. You've already purchased four adapters for ~$160, take it easy before ordering more adapters or the $500 wall connector! There's eight adapters, let's figure out for sure which it is that you have.

havent got ours yet, but....

#4: My 14 yr old is amped and already has watched all the youtube and tiktok vids that exist for Tesla easter eggs lol MY older son just turned 18, has his first real girlfrend, so has other "things" on his mind. You know.... He seems unimpressed, or at least indifferent. :)

#3:

which is yours? then buy that plug-it replaces the 120 volt that comes With the car, It's 45 dollars. I bought ours before getting the car. (we installed a 14-50)

1622644641831.png

• Helpful