Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, Just hung up from an unexpected and very interesting phone call from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven´t been on another auto forum, but this thread turned sour for no reason IMHO. Don´t like if people just pile up on a new poster, it is not like he was spreading any wrong facts or being unfriendly - unlike us.

I agree and I share the blame. Thanks for accepting my apology tigoe and welcome to the forum. I agree to move on -- and look on the bright side, you experience posting here can only get better! (hopefully).

Oh, and I haven't been to the Audi forums either... it was a joke because we all know the kind of people who drive Audi's (again, it's just a joke people). I have friends who drive Audi's. My lower tier of friends, of course.

I didn't get a phone call, but I did have an interesting.. somewhat.. well, not that interesting conversation today with Tesla Service. I called about an issue with my vehicle and they asked, "your Model X or Model S is having the issue?" I replied that I haven't yet taken delivery of the Model X. He said something to the effect of "oh, it shows here that you have."

Another person would get excited and think that it means my car is secretly done, which explains the VIN I was assigned yesterday. Me? I'll just use it to change the direction of this thread.

I didn't get a phone call, but I did have an interesting.. somewhat.. well, not that interesting conversation today with Tesla Service. I called about an issue with my vehicle and they asked, "your Model X or Model S is having the issue?" I replied that I haven't yet taken delivery of the Model X. He said something to the effect of "oh, it shows here that you have."

Another person would get excited and think that it means my car is secretly done, which explains the VIN I was assigned yesterday. Me? I'll just use it to change the direction of this thread.
Whoah. Something tells me you'll be in your 90D long before August. :) How quickly can you get that $100K together? And when are you coming to visit me in NYC?

Just thought I'd mention that the 90D VIN assignments aren't limited to CA deliveries. We just received a VIN (a little under 5000) for our 90D, no premium interior, order for pickup in Chicago.
Interesting... I know we're not supposed to read anything into VIN number assignments, but I like seeing a 5000 (ish) number for what that may mean about confirmed orders, particularly since most of the VIN assignments have been in the US. And the latest Model X reservation count in the US (according to the Model X Tracker) was around 22,000 not taking into consideration cancellations. With several "Meet Model X" events still to come, I think the confirmed order count is going to be pretty respectable by the end of the month.

Hey guys. I also got a similar call. I live in LA but they said there is no place you could see the car. I'm bummed as I want to order this week and get it by end of March. Is there anyone here in LA that has an X that would be willing to let me take a look? Would appreciate it greatly!

I am not really concerned about how many people have/haven't actually confirmed. I think the more Xs people see, and as they get to stores, sales will grow. That said, I think demand will be less than the S until 70Ds are available. Need a lower cost option.

It's funny, I was thinking the opposite--I'm glad for what this says about when we might get our X, but I'm worried that it means that the total number of confirmations may be low so far. :D
Well the highest VIN that I had seen/heard of before that was in the 2000 range, just a couple of weeks ago so 5K isn't too shabby. Even if less than half of the original confirmed orders ever convert to sales, that could still be around 10K advance U.S. sales of a $100K car: $1B in revenue. Model X could easily crack the top 5 luxury SUV sales in the US in its first year, at a price that's at the extreme high end for that category. Here are last year's rankings:

Large Luxury SUV Sales In America - December 2015 And 2015 Year End - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

For all those who are saying : hey I confirmed weeks ago but haven't heard anything, why isn't Tesla producing my car in those open slots? Simple : you have already lost your bargaining chip with Tesla. You confirmed your order. Trigoe still has his bargaining chip : he can still withdraw his reservation and request a refund. Tesla wants to take that option off the table by offering him a position at the head of the queue.

For all those who are saying : hey I confirmed weeks ago but haven't heard anything, why isn't Tesla producing my car in those open slots? Simple : you have already lost your bargaining chip with Tesla. You confirmed your order. Trigoe still has his bargaining chip : he can still withdraw his reservation and request a refund. Tesla wants to take that option off the table by offering him a position at the head of the queue.

Hmmm, that's a very interesting and (the first) intellectually compelling reason for the call. Makes a ton of sense. Well done.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry you're being hazed like this - we do have a lot of shorts coming through with crazy stories, trolling the forums, trying to get rumors started.

Count me as one of the folks who believes you. And hopefully you'll stick around to see our better side down the road. Lots of emotions running high right now due to stock price, X deliveries, etc. We're really a good bunch most of the time :).

Thanks Bonnie. That's very kind and I appreciate it. It's not much of a hazing, but more like puppy sniping from guys who learned manners in a frat. From my experience on Audi, MB and BMW and now TESLA boards, this is standard operating procedure. They act this way only because there are no penalties for douchebaggery. My advice? Ban a couple of repeat ungracious malcontents, so brave behind their anonymous screen names and watch everyone else come to order right quick. "Fire one, teach 100" as the saying goes.

Last edited:
It's not much of a hazing, but more like puppy sniping from guys who learned manners in a frat. From my experience on Audi, MB and BMW and now TESLA boards, this is standard operating procedure. They act this way only because there are no penalties for douchebaggery. My advice? Ban a couple of repeat ungracious malcontents, so brave behind their anonymous screen names and watch everyone else come to order right quick. "Fire one, teach 100" as the saying goes.

That's probably a bit of a harsh response. This site actually has very good mods, and many complain they're too aggressive. Settle in before passing too much judgement. I've found responses to my posts to be nothing short of respectful.

That's probably a bit of a harsh response. This site actually has very good mods, and many complain they're too aggressive. Settle in before passing too much judgement. I've found responses to my posts to be nothing short of respectful.

Oh, I agree! Most peeps, even on the other boards I mentioned are amazing people and incredibly knowledgeable and generous. But you know what they say about apples and it's true. As far as mods? In my experience on other boards, which is varied, long and extensive, the mods do a great job but really only remove the most profane or abusive posts, which leaves the tenor of the board to be created by everyone else. So, forward we go. As I said, most people on here seem amazingly cool. I look forward to contributing valuable information when I have it, too.

They just cold-called me at home and said this exactly: "We have open production slots open right now and if I configure immediately, my car will go into production before end of March".

I said basically thanks but no thanks. I want to sit in it and take a nice look at my own pace and not at a specialized event with other people buzzing around. Not interested. I want to see it in the showroom under my own timeline. And when I'm ready, I'll pull the trigger. Not one second before.

He said, how about if I can get one to you? My mouth hit the ground, I was stunned. Again, I declined. It's great they want to go the extra mile, but it felt a little desperate. There are obviously a lot of people, way more than we thought, that are not hitting the order button. They don't cold-call order holders offering production slots if there is a long list of completed orders waiting in the cue.

Actually, they called you because Tesla has ramped-up production faster than previously planned and is trying to fill in the empty spots.

I ordered P90DL 1/4/16 with factory delivery and did not get a call. People who have not ordered and not even configured will get one? Something is wrong with this picture.
Same here. Same vehicle (P90DL), same area (San Francisco), and almost the same order (12/29/15) and confirmation date (1/5/16). I got a VIN recently like everyone else, but still no indication of when this car will be delivered. The whole process seems pretty haphazard...