Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So my company CEO agreed to add charging stations. I need help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what country you're in. Here in the US, it seems like the solution that's most useful for the largest number of people is the simple, low tech one - a whole bunch of standard 120 V outlets on separate circuits. The drivers then plug in with the portable EVSE that came with the car (in Tesla's case, the UMC.)

You can put a couple dozen in for the price of one or two dedicated charging stations, and that way there's less arguing over who gets to use it or moving cars during the day. Obviously, it limits the amount of energy a given car can gain from a day to something on the order of 12 kWh (depending on just how long your work days are...) - but it'll easily cover most people's commutes.

Not quite as dramatic as a brand new polished Clipper Creek out front, but more practical for less money. :)
Walter

Or 50 amp 220 volt (or 208 volt) circuits. Many times faster, and actually worth plugging into. And not much more money than 110 volt.

Again, operations will have no clue where to start their research. Any companies that people can suggest that sell charge stations might be a good start. Any websites that discuss the topic wouldn't hurt either. Thanks for the quick responses!

Here is a website with lots of info, and links to additional resources.
It isn't local for you, but has lots of applicable info.

Employers

I will agree with getting 2 (3 if you can convince your VP to get a Tesla while you are at it) Tesla EV chargers and rest J1772. You want it as convenient as possible for your CEO. Because since he left it in your hands you probably want to make it convenient for him, the 2nd will be the CEO's backup charger which you will keep :wink:

I wonder though, since SolarCity operates in those areas would they be able to do the installs? I know they installed both Tesla Chargers and Creeper Creek chargers:

Home Solar Installer SolarCity To Sell Electric Car Charging Stations - Forbes

But not sure if they do commercial or not.

I started this process at my company too.

Don't forget to involve your marketing and corporate social responsibility folks. Eco cred.

Spotlight PHEV, BEV, parking spots as perks, close to entrance... justification: shorter wiring runs.

Paint the stalls green put up EV signage. Just as important as putting the chargers up. People at work who have chosen those spots over the last N years will get nose out of joint, and ICE it to spite. Prepare a friendly parking notice and have facilities or security personnel tuck then under ICE wipers.

Really, 5-20 is all you need to offer for all day employees. If you have sales staff or delivery services that are in and out, these should get EVs leased and priority spots, and higher power. Put 40 amp circuits out there minimum for those Nema 15-40 or any J1772 chqrger for $1000 or less will do.

If you are servicing customers or prospects coming to the business, offer next to entrance EV spots and up the amperes to 80 and J chargers. Especially if your business is 40 miles from anywhere.

If you have glam clientelle, offer HPWC because you can expect Tesla products showing up.

Whatever you do convince and support the others who have emerge in the process. Gain that support, make a presentation, and go back to CEO to show the process you went through.

Find out his travel radius from work and make a suggestion of what might best suit his needs to charge at work. If he is off to the airport every other day, yes HPWC makes sense at 80 amps. But also tell him to buy the second charger for in the car... which is something he could easily overlook. Then you find yourself as a trusted and consulted friend... finally.. give him a ride before he buys and you will make a connection that is more important than charging a car.

I'm also in the Dallas area and work for a larger company. We installed EV charging early last year. I've heard (NOT confirmed) that there is some sort of certification a company can get where EV charging is one requirement. If the company has this certification there's some sort of incentive (tax break???) from the state/city. I was honestly a bit surprised they installed EV charging, but if there's an incentive for the company that would explain it.

As for the charging stations they used ChargePoint. These are private ChargePoint stations, they do not show up on the ChargePoint map. I need a ChargePoint card to turn them on, but they are completely free (for me).

Early on the spots were always ICEd. They then painted the spots green and security started calling violators and demand they move their cars. It is now rare to see a non-EV in the spots and I've always been able to charge if I show up at work somewhat early. We have 2 leafs, a Volt, my Tesla and a Fusion Energi. There are 3 chargers but so far we haven't all tried to charge at the same time.

One thing to consider is that many businesses will be interested in being able to get metrics about charger use: how many charge, how long they charge, how many chargers are vacant. You only get that with a smart charger, not from installing plain NEMA outlets or residential type chargers or hpwc's. If you use Chargepoint, for example, you can make the charger free, charge by time, or even have it free to your employees and paid for clients or neighbors. As EVs become more popular, you likely will encounter congestion at the Chargers. Metrics will let you easily decide when to add more chargers.

- - - Updated - - -

EV charging is a way to get LEED credits for construction.

One thing to consider is that many businesses will be interested in being able to get metrics about charger use: how many charge, how long they charge, how many chargers are vacant. You only get that with a smart charger, not from installing plain NEMA outlets or residential type chargers or hpwc's. If you use Chargepoint, for example, you can make the charger free, charge by time, or even have it free to your employees and paid for clients or neighbors. As EVs become more popular, you likely will encounter congestion at the Chargers. Metrics will let you easily decide when to add more chargers..
Or you can save thousands of dollars per charging station by installing something other than Chargepoints, and just look out the window to gauge when you might need a few more.

At my work, they have a a few charger in the middle of 4 parking spots that are marked off for EV only around the charger.
People just unplug another car when they some someone is charged up. Obviously, there are A-holes who unplug others even then they're not charged up, but it's not that common.