Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So tell me about a model 3 without EAP. What will it still do.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do not get the car without EAP. It is what makes the car different from all others. No other systems compare to it. The additional monthly cost if you have a loan is definitely worth it. It works on almost ALL roads, not just highways. Soon it will even be recommended on all roads. It "sees" and identifies a "driving surface" independent of lane markings now. The items displayed on the screen are a fraction of what the car is actually identifying. It is identifying all the objects around it now. It brakes for pedestrians. After being engaged with at least one visible lane marker it will often drive miles on the correct side of a road after the lane markers end. This is a very advanced system.

Wow. So much butt hurt disagrees to your post.

Objectionally speaking, you don’t get the full
Tesla experience without EAP.

Sone of the other magical Tesla things are -
1.) EV performance
2.) Charging network
3.) Car Updates
4.) Battery management prowess

If you were ever going to add it, it’s less expensive now than later and doing it later is just less time you got to use it.

You don't want TACC for surface streets. And when you have it, you lose the basic cruise control which actually IS functional on surface streets.
Not so. The TACC and EAP work fine on surface streets in stop and go traffic.

It does not yet recognize stop lights or stop signs. It is unclear whether those functions when available will be released under EAP or FSD. Musk has said stop signs are easy, stop lights are harder.

Do not get the car without EAP. It is what makes the car different from all others. No other systems compare to it. The additional monthly cost if you have a loan is definitely worth it. It works on almost ALL roads, not just highways. Soon it will even be recommended on all roads. It "sees" and identifies a "driving surface" independent of lane markings now. The items displayed on the screen are a fraction of what the car is actually identifying. It is identifying all the objects around it now. It brakes for pedestrians. After being engaged with at least one visible lane marker it will often drive miles on the correct side of a road after the lane markers end. This is a very advanced system.
What does everyone disagree with, the first sentence? The rest is fact.

Maybe because they don't feel that just the answer, especially wrong ones really answer the question.
Plus the simple fact that it you read the question, it asked for elaboration.

: still maintain a selectable distance to the car in front?
No, this is a function of Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) one of those items explicitly listed.
: still apply the brakes aggressively when something is in front?
Only emergency braking, the type that you never want to test.
: lane control of any sort?
You will not have anything controlling the steering wheel, but you will have the wheel shake when crossing lane inadvertently
: how about backing hazards.
You will have the close hazard lines. I don't think that a crossing vehicle in the back is actually warned right now anyway.

I have the 2018 Leaf with ProPilot, EAP provides the same functionality as ProPilot, but does it a LOT better. Whereas the Leaf will tend to turn on and off driving down most roads that aren't Interstates, the Tesla stay own the entire way. The Tesla autopilot does a great job of driving the car now. It's not perfect yet, but hopefully that isn't far off. It will now see a curve and slow down to a speed that is comfortable for the curve. At a full stop, like a traffic light, if behind a car, it handles everything, unlike Nissan where you have to re-enable most of the time.

Like the Nissan, the intelligent cruise control (TACC) is probably one of the best things that can dramatically reduce driving workload. Works awesome in rush hour stop and go traffic.

My recommendation, get it now, roll it into the loan, it's cheaper and doesn't hurt as bad when in a loan.

To me, the advantage of EAP is much more than AWD or the Performance model.

So you just wrote 9 paragraphs and your answers were No, Yes, No, No. Cool.

The design auto-braking protocols are fundamentally different between EAP and non-EAP models. Rarely do observers note these differences — or TACC state — when sharing near-miss self-braking videos.

I cobbled together the graphic below to capture the differences. Two takeaways: (1) to properly assess braking performance IRL videos, we need to know if the M3 has EAP and whether and when TACC was engaged — and the car’s speed at which AEB deployed. (2) Whether or not you like TACC driving behaviors (and I do not), TACC undeniably makes a huge difference in AEB protection, and it’s silly to pretend that a $5-7k upgrade to get TACC does not fundamentally degrade the car’s AEB safety envelope.

Eventually Tesla will have to make TACC standard with or without EAP for AEB safety reasons. I believe It is inevitable. Maybe they’ll bump the base price but it will not be by $5000 or more.

8D53C043-D0CF-41C7-83B4-B1AA3E1E3D64.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Probllama
I did a trial of EAP. TACC was nice, and should either be standard on the car or available for $1-2k. Auto-steer (really what people mean when they say autopilot) was not reliable enough to trust on the curvy interstates in my area. It may get there some day, but I'm not paying for a feature that isn't reliable today. If the car got totaled before they made auto-steer reliable, I'd be out the money I paid for it (insurance companies don't reimburse for options that aren't reflected in a VIN decode).

Reactions: Magnets!
What does everyone disagree with, the first sentence? The rest is fact.

The first sentence is fact as well. Even if you don’t it, doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

It’s like going to a restaurant called “House of Prime Rib” and ordering something other than the prime rib. Sure you can do it.. but

EAP has no equivalent from other auto.

We have an AP1 car and use it all the time, both on highways and stop and go situations on local roads. I'd be very reluctant to buy a car without at least adaptive cruise control that would handle stop and go. Highway lane keeping is really very nice, but I could live without it, albeit reluctantly.

However, my wife and I always watch it like hawks. It is a VERY long way from FSD.

It does not yet recognize stop lights or stop signs. It is unclear whether those functions when available will be released under EAP or FSD. Musk has said stop signs are easy, stop lights are harder.

That's not my experience, one example is when passing cars in a left hand turn lane TACC hit the brakes for some reason. Very dangerous if there had been a car behind me. Does it technically work, yes. Is it better than me and does it give me confidence, NO.

No, it's pretty clear- EAP is never going to recognize those things, because EAP is explicitly not intended to be used on such roads... it mentions this multiple times in the owners manual.

It allows you to turn it on there, and it offers some functionality (though being unable to handle stop signs, stop lights, or offer anything but incredibly rudimentary pedestrian detection make it a sometimes terrible idea depending where you engage it) but it's not designed or intended to be used there.

If the car got totaled before they made auto-steer reliable, I'd be out the money I paid for it (insurance companies don't reimburse for options that aren't reflected in a VIN decode).

Not sure where you get this idea...

There's a ton of options not captured in a VIN (for example a Performance Model 3 that originally cost $16,000 more than an AWD one will have exactly the same VIN for options)...if your insurance company is confused about the value of the vehicle and otherwise unable to look up its details you can always provide them a copy of the original window sticker

There's a ton of options not captured in a VIN (for example a Performance Model 3 that originally cost $16,000 more than an AWD one will have exactly the same VIN for options)...if your insurance company is confused about the value of the vehicle and otherwise unable to look up its details you can always provide them a copy of the original window sticker

As an economist that looks at financial decisions daily I allow myself a few bone headed emotional decisions that make no sense.

One of them is going ride or die by keeping FUSC.

Most of the stupidity of the decision stems from not being able to transfer this perk on event of total. I wonder what’s my odds are of arguing value if it can’t be purchased?

As an economist that looks at financial decisions daily I allow myself a few bone headed emotional decisions that make no sense.

One of them is going ride or die by keeping FUSC.

Most of the stupidity of the decision stems from not being able to transfer this perk on event of total. I wonder what’s my odds are of arguing value if it can’t be purchased?

Probably pretty low since it doesn't appear (AFAIK) as an itemized option on the window sticker so you can't really assign an objective value to it.

The point you raise is yet another reason taking the 5k was the more rational choice for anyone who doesn't take like 40,000 miles a year in roadtrips in their Tesla.

Probably pretty low since it doesn't appear (AFAIK) as an itemized option on the window sticker so you can't really assign an objective value to it.

The point you raise is yet another reason taking the 5k was the more rational choice for anyone who doesn't take like 40,000 miles a year in roadtrips in their Tesla.

I can attempt to record my Tesla page and Elon’s tweets for a long shot. I take this risk willingly.

This is what I tweeted in response to Elon when he said it was worth 5K

0AAB516E-B3D5-4E8D-93DD-B4C01EC9C2BF.jpeg

I kept it in the end though despite my cheeky ness. 5000 towards a future Tesla makes infinitely more sense.

Asking Elon back for money because he got bullied into it did not sit well with my personal code of conduct and ethos so I sucked it up.

There is no way to justify FUSC over 5k unless it was $2kw or more. Oppportunity costs of time. 50,000 mile a year road warrior can name themselves outliers and get tossed from my sample sets.

Last edited:
With all the nagging EAP isn't really worth much to me. If I'm going to keep my hands on the wheel and stay alert I might as well drive the car myself (which is not exactly a chore with this car, btw). It's just as easy to use the "dumb" cruise control and just adjust the speed with the scroll wheel as traffic slows down or speeds up. It's also not difficult to stay centered within a traffic lane.

I'd be happy to give Tesla $10K for FSD or something very close but $5-7K for EAP in its current form is kinda crazy.
The more basic features of EAP should be included for free on a technologically advanced luxury car such as Tesla since other less sophisticated cars have these basic features included like TACC. The more advanced AEP features should be rolled into FSD as that matures and that should be the only package that comes at a premium cost. Call it something simple like "Auto Pilot" or "Self Driving" and be done. Less confusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMBTUS
I don't have EAP on my 3, but I have had the two free trials of V.8 and V.9 . It got better in 9, but not $5000 worth of better.

If Tesla had a $50 per month subscription plan.... I'd probably get it, but $5K all at once? Hell no.

And I'd like to know how Tesla justifies charging more to turn EAP on later after you already have the car. It's a simple software unlock. It is a blatant money grab, yet again, for Tesla.

And I'd like to know how Tesla justifies charging more to turn EAP on later after you already have the car. It's a simple software unlock. It is a blatant money grab, yet again, for Tesla.
Because they want you to buy it? That seems fairly straight forward to me. The money has future value, so if they sold it later for the same price it would be less to them. In the business world a package deal is usually cheaper than buying the parts separately.

Reactions: richyrich