Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... And this is how $200 will not hold.

You may be right and I may be wrong about $200 but I really tip my hat to you if you knew that TM would release ALL patents resulting in sub $200

on another note. As a sharehokder my initial response is 'not happy'. However, as someone who wants to see rapid adoption of EVs for the health of my kids/future grandkids....very happy!

@login actually we are clearly underperforming the market after the announcement. The huge drop at 1:28 from 205 to 203.8 was an example, the Nasdaq composite was actually flat at that time.
TSLA looks much the same as most of my solar stocks. If I weren't aware of Tesla's announcement, I couldn't tell simply by looking at the stock movement that anything was up other than a general drop across the board (JASO/CSIQ/TSLA/etc) at about the same point in time.

So Elon Musk is basically saying, Tesla is to electric cars as IBM is to PC's. Tesla has a head start, but is there reason to think they won't be overrun by competitors in the long run? I've been investing in Tesla because I thought they would end up the Microsoft of cars with their technology licensed in each vehicle. I'm sure this will help with the widespread adoption of EVs, but I'm not convinced this is a good thing for TSLA shareholders.

@ck actually CSIQ is still above their opening price. TSLA is already under it's opening price, and also below it's previous close...

Edit: Heads up. CNBC to later discuss whether Tesla's patent move is crazy..
Well, mostly I was thinking there wasn't/isn't a lot of volume but yeah on that metric it looks like TSLA lost a couple points relative to solars.

This means that this move has been discussed and agreed upon with the boards and execs. Steve Jurvetson is no idiot. If he approves, I approve. Plus, JB Straubel also mentioned, Tesla is as much of an energy innovation company than a car company. If this counterlogic move is successful, Tesla better be prepared to sell a lot of energy/batteries

Rising tide lifts all boats guys. If this results in a faster rising tide, then $TSLA will benefit plenty.

Steve J. took a photo of the now gone patent wall: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0288648675611.533974.718610610&type=3&theater

If you think of Tesla as on track to be the worlds largest electric energy pack producer, this patent policy makes it an even more attractive investment. Imagine 3 Giga factories with in the next 7 years. Once dedicated to Tesla Vehicles, One dedicated to producing for other car companies and one dedicated to produce power packs for stationary storage. Speculate to maybe 10 Giga factories in 10 to 15 years (This is a total WAG on my part).

I'm sure there are those out there that could do some modeling to figure out the profit potential available for that part of the business. Also add in the 300k to 500k unit volume Tesla branded cars and the profit from that and my guess would be that the current share price is not reflective of the possible profit paired with a reasonable P/E ratio for a growth company in the early/mid stage of it's life.

I totally agree. But it wil take time for others to appreciate how brilliant this move was.
Indeed. I suspect this is ultimately about the battery Gigafactories. One of the motives for making today's patent announcement may have been to inspire Panasonic to more quickly, unambiguously and aggressively partner with Tesla Motors in the Gigafactory ventures.

This may force other carmakers to adopt the Tesla/Panasonic small cell battery technology as the standard. Perhaps of even greater importance the Gigafactories will also supply solar storage capabilities for homes and businesses.

Tesla may not only eventually become the world's dominant automaker, but even more profitably the top energy supplier for a wide variety of purposes.

Elon Musk, I salute your for your genius and creativity that benefits not only your shareholders and car owners, but all of mankind.

The competitors still have to make a build vs. buy determination, and for most traditional car makers they'd probably prefer to buy anyway. Opening up the patents means that they have less to fear and can more easily deal with Tesla, without having to worry about licensing fees going up once they're hooked. Also, it means there can be a second source they can go to if Tesla goes belly up. Personally I think it's an extremely savvy move.

Indeed. I suspect this is ultimately about the battery Gigafactories. One of the motives for making today's patent announcement may have been to inspire Panasonic to more quickly, unambiguously and aggressively partner with Tesla Motors in the Gigafactory ventures.

This may force other carmakers to adopt the Tesla/Panasonic small cell battery technology as the standard. Perhaps of even greater importance the Gigafactories will also supply solar storage capabilities for homes and businesses.

Tesla may not only eventually become the world's dominant automaker, but even more profitably the top energy supplier for a wide variety of purposes.

Elon Musk, I salute your for your genius and creativity that benefits not only your shareholders and car owners, but all of mankind.

This is just to bump Curt's post to top of page.

If Tesla shifts from car making to energy management I will stay invested for longer. There are too many risks with car making, much less with energy management.

This is just to bump Curt's post to top of page.

If Tesla shifts from car making to energy management I will stay invested for longer. There are too many risks with car making, much less with energy management.

I think you'll get both Auzie. Don't see a shift as much as concurrent operations. Energy management is such a relatively easy by product and Elon-JB both firmly committed to that. Don't think there'll be any reason not to do both since the capital structures also feed directly into each other. I suppose at some point one could be a subsidiary of the other, but for the next decade, I'd guess both become equal parts of Tesla Power Co - my 2c