Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's possible... but the nice thing about the timing of this is that investors can read the details of the story for themselves and make their own conclusions, whereas if it were in the middle of the day, they might just stop at the headlines.

I wonder how the bots will react though… if they are programmed to simply read headlines and react, they might dump shares regardless of context or merit.

I say TSLA closes above $200 tomorrow.

If it falls to $194, I am buying. If it were to go to $186, I am going in very big.

But I don't think it will get anywhere close to there. This fire story is just a great shake out of the weak longs. This is the perfect setup for ER. Need to shake out the weak ones...

I've never done puts either. However, I expect a small drop but remember that the 'shorts' are going to give the stock support because they see that 200 is not far off and they know that the ER and Guidance will be positive. In addition, there are many TSLA longs that will stay the course and buy more as the shorts and TM has put more cash in our pockets to buy more shares. I sold 1/3 of my shares with the first 'problem' and all shares with the 'third'. Bought back near the bottom. I will not sell shares this time. I am confident that merely putting the words Tesla and fire in the same article will not result in a big dip...and if it does I will be buying this time, not selling. I believe this is the sentiment of many here.

I'm not selling tsla either. I have some cash though that is waiting to go to work. If it's a huge drop then I will likely sell some solar.

I wonder how the bots will react though… if they are programmed to simply read headlines and react, they might dump shares regardless of context or merit.

Yes, the bots do react to headlines, and that's why we saw the dip down to $193 in after-hours, before it recovered to $197. I have the same opinion as sleepy. We might see some selling from weak longs at the start, but should reverse quickly as investors realize what's really going on. That could cause shorts to start covering when they realize their "story" isn't gaining the traction they were hoping for.

So, we potentially have 3 trading days (prior to earnings after the bell on Wednesday) to watch the turbulence. I'm going to bet it goes down until insiders get the earnings pdf around 1pm Wednesday EST (assuming no other details emerge until then).

Going to watch the call prices drop and find a nice happy place to buy ;)

I think this story might have some legs. The problem being is that the owner states that car was not charging and he had just got done driving it. The problems I see is that people are going to start believe that this car is going to spontaneously combust. Similiar to the the fiasco that Fisker had. Now I'm not saying that is what happen but the public will interpret the story this way. This could be a big PR problem if it gains traction. The other fires where easily contributed to an outside force. Hopefully Tesla will clarify tomorrow. With all that being said I will be buying on the dip!

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by that.... Earnings are usually out after the closing bell at 4:00pm EST right? Are they announcing it in the middle of the day this time? I highly doubt that...

If you look at the intra-day trading on Wednesday, there will most likely be a sharp buy/sell/activity around 1pm. I've noticed this on several of the last earnings. I'm making a guess that some insiders either get an advanced copy of the earnings pdf or somehow get wind of the jist of the pdf.

But you are right, the pdf is not 'published' on the ir.teslamotors.com site until after the bell.

If you look at the intra-day trading on Wednesday, there will most likely be a sharp buy/sell/activity around 1pm. I've noticed this on several of the last earnings. I'm making a guess that some insiders either get an advanced copy of the earnings pdf or somehow get wind of the jist of the pdf.

But you are right, the pdf is not 'published' on the ir.teslamotors.com site until after the bell.

No way stuff like this happens.

I say TSLA closes above $200 tomorrow.

If it falls to $194, I am buying. If it were to go to $186, I am going in very big.

But I don't think it will get anywhere close to there. This fire story is just a great shake out of the weak longs. This is the perfect setup for ER. Need to shake out the weak ones...

I started buying at 196 in after market trading. I think we've been in the 198 range for long enough that people who wanted to unload have (me included) and I see the emergence of another fire story as a reduction in risk. If each time a fire story breaks, the drop is a mere 5 dollars, it encourages me to buy more. I have been fearing a short attack at the 200 level and it looks like this is it. I would also be buying tons of options at the 185 range. I think the fact that we all speak of buying more indicates that there is appetite for shares, and the most risky of us will be the ones buying at as little as a 2 dollar dip.

yes, tomorrow will be a real interesting day to see how much short vs. long balance as shifted. like many of you, I'll be looking for entry points tomorrow but i'm pretty happy with my long setup so if I don't see real bargains I don't feel the need to extend my current position.

I started buying at 196 in after market trading. I think we've been in the 198 range for long enough that people who wanted to unload have (me included) and I see the emergence of another fire story as a reduction in risk. If each time a fire story breaks, the drop is a mere 5 dollars, it encourages me to buy more. I have been fearing a short attack at the 200 level and it looks like this is it. I would also be buying tons of options at the 185 range. I think the fact that we all speak of buying more indicates that there is appetite for shares, and the most risky of us will be the ones buying at as little as a 2 dollar dip.

You bought my shares then at 196. I have loads of exposure with calls still, but I expect an overreaction today as a dip down in the morning, correcting in the afternoon. a 5% dip wouldn't be an outlandish guess and from 199 that gets you to the 190ish range. I will be looking to rebuy there if Schwab will let me come out of the settled-funds-only doghouse.

...and its 198 in pre-market. I hope I am wrong and the market shrugs this off. THAT will be a very bullish sign indeed (as others have noted) since it indicates a certain "thick skin" for new incidents.

You bought my shares then at 196. I have loads of exposure with calls still, but I expect an overreaction today as a dip down in the morning, correcting in the afternoon. a 5% dip wouldn't be an outlandish guess and from 199 that gets you to the 190ish range. I will be looking to rebuy there if Schwab will let me come out of the settled-funds-only doghouse.

...and its 198 in pre-market. I hope I am wrong and the market shrugs this off. THAT will be a very bullish sign indeed (as others have noted) since it indicates a certain "thick skin" for new incidents.

mershaw2001: I would like my shares back at 196, please sir. I will write you a check.