Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jan '16 300/500 bull call spreads are only ~25 bucks right now. Break even at 325, with 8x potential upside. I've been replacing rock with some 400/500 spreads lately, considering doing that with the 300/500 too. Though probly not a great idea to sell stock at this particular moment, hmm.

still holding out on making a reservation, waiting to hear what their roof top cargo solution is... such a cool car but not being able to put the normal stuff like skis, cargo container or kayaks on top is a deal breaker for this family of 4.

I suspect that if they come out with a reasonable solution, that orders will skyrocket and lift TSLA as well.

Model X reservations speculated to be around 12,000 within a month or two, with a whole lot more to come in the near term.

Model X reservations within a month of two

Huh, this long drop in TSLA has put me close to hitting my margin limit. I don't actually have any borrowed amount on margin, just the margin capacity used for a sold PUT (which is green since it's a $180 PUT I sold it a long time ago).

Lucky you. i have a the first 11k of a 70k fed margin call due tomorrow.
Yea, worst case is I buy back my sold PUT and cash out enough shares to cover the premium that's no longer padding my account. Not sure I really want to sell super long term PUTs anyway. I think I might be better off selling short term ones repeatedly, but on the other hand, I'm fairly sure the long term PUT won't ever bite me (unless Tesla completely keels over and goes out of business) while the short term ones would obviously hurt in a week like this one.

Yea, worst case is I buy back my sold PUT and cash out enough shares to cover the premium that's no longer padding my account. Not sure I really want to sell super long term PUTs anyway. I think I might be better off selling short term ones repeatedly, but on the other hand, I'm fairly sure the long term PUT won't ever bite me (unless Tesla completely keels over and goes out of business) while the short term ones would obviously hurt in a week like this one.

I think i'm a fan of using margin when there's fear in the market, so loading up now.

So with the new v5.9 update allowing the low suspension setting again, maybe some good news from our favorite government agency is near!?

No offense intended to you, Cameron--but if I had 1/10th of a TSLA share for every time there was a mention on this board of "With <event or extrapolation X> occurring/being near, I bet NHTSA clearance is nigh!", I'd... well, I'd have a lot more shares of TSLA.

I hope you're right, but I will continue patiently waiting while the gears of government slowly grind.

Sorry for going off a tangent here. It is the Social Chat!

When was Elon's big family road trip due? Wasn't it supposed to happen around ... now? Haven't seen a hint for quite some time. On the other hand, it is probably prudent to not expose all those eggs to a harsh world in real time.

I figure that might be one part of a great run-up series of triggers, à la last year's 5-part trilogy. Just give me a day to load up some extra cash ... :tongue:

I take them finally sending out an official letter for recalling the adapters + v5.9 software rolling out now bringing back highway lowering as good evidence the NHTSA issues are resolved and we will indeed be hearing from them soon.

I bought some weeklies - expiring this week and next week - today on the dip.

Sorry for going off a tangent here. It is the Social Chat!

When was Elon's big family road trip due? Wasn't it supposed to happen around ... now? Haven't seen a hint for quite some time. On the other hand, it is probably prudent to not expose all those eggs to a harsh world in real time.

I figure that might be one part of a great run-up series of triggers, à la last year's 5-part trilogy. Just give me a day to load up some extra cash ... :tongue:

It could be next month, but I don't see what the big deal is now (in terms of TSLA impact), really. A few people have already done the coast-to-coast trip on superchargers only. One of them (callmesam) even did it in a 60 kWh model, both ways. Unless it's a huge press event that goes viral or something, I don't think it will have much of an impact.

It could be next month, but I don't see what the big deal is now (in terms of TSLA impact), really. A few people have already done the coast-to-coast trip on superchargers only. One of them (callmesam) even did it in a 60 kWh model, both ways. Unless it's a huge press event that goes viral or something, I don't think it will have much of an impact.

Yes, your points are valid. I just think Elon has shown a certain flair for PR, dropping one well-aimed little bit after another to drive home one orchestrated message. This trip might be one of those opening items, creating media exposure from a wider group than motor or financial reporters.

Also, it's been eerily quiet about European superchargers lately, I can't even find any official permits where I have looked. Someone speculated this silence could be due to a new generation of higher power chargers being in the making. And a German guy (JP) has a couple of videos test-driving a Model S, where he asks the Tesla rep when he can go to Hamburg or Berlin and the reply was: "Ask me again in 3 or 4 weeks"! There are 82 in the US today but the European number has been frozen at 14 since last Fall. If/when v6 is released combined with Autobahn tuning, sales in DE may take a leap. Fremont production may have jumped lately. Nearing Q1 end, perhaps a hint of current state, Gigafactory plans taking on some concretion, start of delivery in CN, production of LHD, etc might all contribute to support TSLA.

Well, we can dream.

Just put in a series of orders for shorter term TSLA call options including a couple weeklies. Currently I have a stock and LEAP replacement of stock strategy only. I could be wrong but it looks like we are oversold and short interest comes out today. I am expecting a big number. Oversold (close to 20% off ATH), short interest, hopeful positive catalyst on the horizon (release of 5.9 with auto lowering shows TM bullish on NHTSA decision even if not released; pending announcement of Elon's Xcountry trip). Fingers crossed!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jackperkowski/2014/03/24/whats-it-like-to-buy-a-tesla-in-china/

positive catalyst??

Last edited:
Well, this is less than ideal. I sold my stock to buy LEAPS, but my broker only lets you buy 50% of your worth as options (non-margin securities). So, I'm sitting on a bunch of cash and I'm unable to buy nearly as many LEAPS as I'd expected. Despite reading up on margin and such many times, the vagaries of the rules still manage to surprise me. I never ran into this with Ameritrade, but I always had a significant core stock position.

Edit: Fortunately, the fix was a simple call to the broker and they changed my account to 100% available for options. Though they also doubled my margin capacity for non-options...too much power there, dangerous :).

Last edited:
Yes, your points are valid. I just think Elon has shown a certain flair for PR, dropping one well-aimed little bit after another to drive home one orchestrated message. This trip might be one of those opening items, creating media exposure from a wider group than motor or financial reporters.

Also, it's been eerily quiet about European superchargers lately, I can't even find any official permits where I have looked. Someone speculated this silence could be due to a new generation of higher power chargers being in the making. And a German guy (JP) has a couple of videos test-driving a Model S, where he asks the Tesla rep when he can go to Hamburg or Berlin and the reply was: "Ask me again in 3 or 4 weeks"! There are 82 in the US today but the European number has been frozen at 14 since last Fall. If/when v6 is released combined with Autobahn tuning, sales in DE may take a leap. Fremont production may have jumped lately. Nearing Q1 end, perhaps a hint of current state, Gigafactory plans taking on some concretion, start of delivery in CN, production of LHD, etc might all contribute to support TSLA.

Well, we can dream.

I agree about the EU superchargers potentially being a bigger catalyst. That, along with the rollout of the 3-phase HPWCs in EU will help Tesla homogenize some of the charging issues related to having multiple different plug types in EU. In the Q1 call, they mentioned they were working on EU charging issues, which they expect to fix, followed by an increase in EU demand. This is what I am looking forward to.