Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost never. With connectivity issues, there could be other factors (the phone, the router, interference, etc) that sort themselves out after a retry or a few seconds. The reboot might not actually be solving the problem, just the act of trying again after 30 seconds.

For instance, voice commands fail and need to be retried when just starting the car, and that's not too uncommon. Reboot is not a solution though.

Hey all, still new to the Tesla world and was wondering how often are you finding yourself doing a soft boot? I've leveraged it twice within 2 weeks for a voice command issue and bluetooth sync. Thanks in advance

I power the car off (using the menu command in the service menu) after every single update is applied. On average, I think I get around 1 update a month or so, sometimes more, sometimes a little less. After every single one, I power the car off and let it sit that way till the next time I drive it, whether thats a few hours later, or days later.

I also check my USB drive and reformat it every 2-3 months to ensure it isnt filling up with Sentry Mode stuff.

Reboots because of "issues" (two scroll wheel reboot because of issues), perhaps 2-3 times a year.

After every new software update install and maybe once a month for other bugs / issues. Note that I do not install every single new update presented. As an example, I'm still on 2020.12.3.2 and have 2020.20.8 waiting for installation.

Forced manual reboots mainly center on media system not working properly.

For Bluetooth connection issues I go into the Tesla Bluetooth menu and tell the Tesla to connect with my phone.

For voice command issues I have always simply issued the voice command again. I believe that the car sends the audio to a Tesla mainframe server for voice recognition processing. So any issues with the car's data connection can cause a failure. Also note that the car sometimes takes awhile to switch between its WIFI and cellular data connections when leaving a WIFI connection's range.
Hey all, still new to the Tesla world and was wondering how often are you finding yourself doing a soft boot? I've leveraged it twice within 2 weeks for a voice command issue and bluetooth sync. Thanks in advance

Reactions: APT21
Another new owner here. I've had to reboot mine 3 times in 8 days. Twice was because the image of the car was gone. Don't know how else to fix that and can't find anything written up about it. Starting to get concerned, but hoping it's something that can be fixed without rebooting.

It's a MYLR with FSD and those 8 days are the first 8 days that I've owned it.

Another new owner here. I've had to reboot mine 3 times in 8 days. Twice was because the image of the car was gone. Don't know how else to fix that and can't find anything written up about it. Starting to get concerned, but hoping it's something that can be fixed without rebooting.

I know it sounds a little crazy, but let things settle in for a while. To early to get concerned yet, things will probably settle out. Reboot if needed, and give it a little while. So long as the car isn't throwing errors, then definitely time to call service.

Reactions: rpiotro

Another thing: you are most likely still on a factory firmware version (assuming you haven't had your first update yet) and those seem to always have their little quirks.

Reactions: rpiotro