Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software requests for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1

Waze would be awesome. Does Tesla's current system factor in traffic conditions when plotting a route? Does Tesla's current system factor in traffic conditions when computing ETA? Does Tesla's current system factor in new traffic developments and decide to reroute you? Does Tesla's current system warn you of speed traps and road debris? I wonder if Tesla would allow the Waze app -- maybe people wouldn't spring for the Tesla nav system.

Agreed, I'm a newly converted "Wazer"!

Hey, Rich!

I've got one, too... I don't want to get locked out!

This morning, I left my bag in the car and it shut down and locked itself. The problem? According to Service, there are two 'blind spots" in the car: the trunk and just below the central display and close to the firewall. The car can't "see" the key, the it is placed in those locations (or its container is placed in those locations).

How about a User-Configurable "Favorites" bar on the 17" touch screen?

I'm thinking of a persistent bar, like the HVAC bar at the bottom or the options bar across the top. The screen is already huge, and I'd be willing to give up a bit of space for something like this. I know there's a separate "Apps" screen, but that is not a persistent view.

As an example, I might place an icon for door lock/unlock on this bar. Right now, if I pull up to pick someone up in my car, I just hit the switch on the door panel, but in Model S you have to click through to the Controls screen to get to the lock option. (I realize there are "tricks" like putting the car in and out of park). If I use a lot of J1772 charging stations, I might put an icon there to pop the charge port door. I think you get the idea.

Speaking of "Favorites", does the built-in web browser have any way of storing favorites?

How about a User-Configurable "Favorites" bar on the 17" touch

Speaking of "Favorites", does the built-in web browser have any way of storing favorites?

It does. There is a heart icon with a plus sign over it. You can't rearrange them or put them in folders though. A way to import your bookmarks from a USB drive would be great too.

Software request for the Nav system (please correct me if this is already a feature):
1) Ability to import POIs in one of the commonly used POI formats (from a USB stick is fine). This for example would be good for keeping local charging stations updated at all times. Even better if you're able to input online libraries of POIs so that the Nav keeps itself updated at all times.
2) Ability to define differt types/classes of POIs - namely I'm thinking of speed cameras - I'd like to get an audible warning when approaching these. Preferrably with directionality too (i.e. the car knows the direction of travel and the POI has a defined directionality. This way the car doesn't have to warn me if I'm approaching a speed camera "from behind" where the camera is pointing).

This repeats some from above, but these are some comments I passed on to Tesla after a couple of weeks of driving:

It would be huge if the car would remember to go to Very High as you approach home and stay there until you leave. I have to remember to get and stay below 9mph and put it on Very High before entering or exiting my driveway. Effectively, that means I typically have to stop in the middle of the street and raise the car before I pull in. My neighbors/fellow drivers love that.
Option to have the Google map oriented to the cars direction versus always North
Homelink “Favorite” button on top so that you don’t have to hit the Homelink Button, then choose the garage
Better interface with contacts – on Blackberry, I tap “D” space “H” and all my contacts with D H initials pop up. As a businessman with 1500+ contacts, something like that would be a huge help. For me to scroll to someone now is completely impractical.
Better interface with music – I have a flash drive with several thousand songs on it, there has to be a better way than scrolling – shuffle play mode would be great, too.
When I left the car, even with the fob in there with my wife in the passenger seat, the car shut down. Would be nice if somehow (and I may just not know what to do) the A/C, music, etc. would stay on for passengers even when the driver hops out.

And my favorite:
“Screen Capture” on rear camera, so I can record when people behind me are taking pictures of the car (just kidding!)

Last edited:
Homelink “Favorite” button on top so that you don’t have to hit the Homelink Button, then choose the garage

I like it, and think this supports my earlier idea of a "Favorites" bar. Probably each of us have 4 or 5 items we'd want always on top. I'd probably have Homelink, Door Locks, and Charge Port Lock for starters.

- - - Updated - - -

“Screen Capture” on rear camera, so I can record when people behind me are taking pictures of the car (just kidding!)

This is not a bad idea, seriously. It could be evidence in the case of rear-end collisions and such. I wouldn't mind having a forward-facing dash cam as well.

mknox:

I like with your idea of a "Favorites Bar". I do spend a fair amount of time clicking through the sames sets of commands. If I had seen your idea before passing my suggestions on to Tesla, I would have included it. Next time!

I would like thay while the car is on, the backup camera would be constantly active (even if not actively viewed on the screen) and recording. This video stream would go in a file that was for example 10 minutes long - i.e. the last 10 minutes. At drivers request these last 10 mins could be saved to USB or harddrive. Think of the useability of this if/when someone runs into you. Evidence!

I think it would be cool if it had a player, that when you tag mp3s with certain values, it would pick randomly among those tags that match the driving conditions. For you example, if it is raining, it would pick mp3's with the tag [raining]. Or if you are driving 70+ mph it would pick songs with a fast tempo (or visa versa however you program it).

I'm not familiar with the XM radio interface on the Model S, but I would love to see a recording feature, like a DVR or Tivo, to record scheduled programs and play them back later. That way I can listen to my favorite talk radio program, even if I missed it. And also skip the commercials!