Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that comma.ai has stated that traffic signal and stop sign reaction is dependent upon 10cm GPS, does anyone recall when that tech emerged from Defense into the private sector?

There are a good handful of systems available now or in development that claim this. They can only do it under ideal conditions, multiple satellites visible, etc. Not even the best military-grade system can do it in a typical "urban canyon" where there are tall buildings on all sides. For that you need very good GPS plus a very good inertial measurement unit, and those still cost more than the car. (Yes, 6 figures, to get one that can give you 10cm where GPS doesn't work.)

Which is why you need sensor-based localization. Currently this works best with LiDAR, though in principle it can work with cameras only. In principle.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and croman
Actually, “people” continue to follow up their concerns with regard to the shortcomings of the v8 UI, in order to ensure that their requests for changes don’t get lost in a sea of complacency and acceptance of mediocrity.
Let me chime in off-topic: I still hate the disappearing top icons when map is on top. I'm not used to it, and find it a daily annoyance at best (and distracting hazard at worst).

Let me chime in off-topic: I still hate the disappearing top icons when map is on top. I'm not used to it, and find it a daily annoyance at best (and distracting hazard at worst).

I agree! You can't ever really get used to bad UX. This is a decision that as far as I can tell was made for aesthetic reasons. Aesthetic "improvements" that are detrimental to functionality are great for demos and impressing people, but anybody who has to actually use the system every day learns to hate them. They learn to live with them. They never get used to them.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I absolutely agree. Nobody asked for that feature. It provides no tangible benefit. It increases the number of presses and eyes-off-the-road time. And, to top it all off, the icons that do remain at the top of the screen are largely illegible, especially the time.

I can't wait until we get the next 'even' release to see what changes. I *still* think this is a beta that was shoved out because we 'had' to have nags. :D :confused:

And I add: next week we should get 2018.26 if all is right with the world....

(Edit: I can't read numbers, last week was 24, so this week we should get that, if we are back on 'schedule'. Thanks for the correction!)

Last edited:
I can't wait until we get the next 'even' release to see what changes. I *still* think this is a beta that was shoved out because we 'had' to have nags. :D :confused:

And I add: next week we should get 2018.26 if all is right with the world....
Would that not be week after next.

Isn't this week 25. Which would normally mean sometime this week we would start to get 2018.24?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Would that not be week after next.

Isn't this week 25. Which would normally mean sometime this week we would start to get 2018.24?
My bad, you are correct, if they are back on schedule, we should be getting 2018.24. Compiled last week, pushed starting Wednesday AM or so this week.

Let's see if the world has righted itself!

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Wouldn't you think, that by now, an "official from Tesla would have posted something here, one of the most used forums, explaining what is wrong with the system, or what is wrong with the driver's (posts.) opinions. I didn't get it in the past, nor do I get their silence now. Could anyone imagine an air conditioner manufacturer who refused to provide customers who have purchased an expensive unit and don't understand how it operates, or how it is supposed to operate?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Wouldn't you think, that by now, an "official from Tesla would have posted something here, one of the most used forums, explaining what is wrong with the system, or what is wrong with the driver's (posts.) opinions. I didn't get it in the past, nor do I get their silence now. Could anyone imagine an air conditioner manufacturer who refused to provide customers who have purchased an expensive unit and don't understand how it operates, or how it is supposed to operate?

Tesla will never officially recommend keeping only one hand on the wheel, which is the practical solution that 99% of their customers will elect. Tesla will tell you to keep both hands on the wheel and turn the wheel very lightly every 15 seconds. Which of course mostly defeats the purpose and value of autosteer.

And just because my position been routinely misinterpreted, I'll restate: I am not an advocate for Autosteer working with no hands on the wheel. I think you should have your hands on the wheel. Hands plural. And I think that should be enough, but it's not -- their system cannot detect two hands on the wheel in a neutral position. Your hands have to be active, or you have to apply assymetric torque by using only one hand.

I'd rather just steer myself. Steering is mostly automatic. I honestly don't have to think about it. Responding to nags by tugging the wheel every 15s is something I have to think about.

Tesla will never officially recommend keeping only one hand on the wheel, which is the practical solution that 99% of their customers will elect. Tesla will tell you to keep both hands on the wheel and turn the wheel very lightly every 15 seconds. Which of course mostly defeats the purpose and value of autosteer.

And just because my position been routinely misinterpreted, I'll restate: I am not an advocate for Autosteer working with no hands on the wheel. I think you should have your hands on the wheel. Hands plural. And I think that should be enough, but it's not -- their system cannot detect two hands on the wheel in a neutral position. Your hands have to be active, or you have to apply assymetric torque by using only one hand.

I'd rather just steer myself. Steering is mostly automatic. I honestly don't have to think about it. Responding to nags by tugging the wheel every 15s is something I have to think about.
Please watch this video from the Tesla web site. Notice that the driver has both hands on the wheel in the 10/2 position. Then notice the driver activates AP (TACC+AS). Then notice the hand(s) position of the driver. I am not sure what she is doing with her left hand. But her right hand is definitely moved to position 5 on the steer wheel. I do not know about you but it sure seems in this video (from Tesla) that they are saying when driving without AP then use the 10/2 position (both hands) but when using AP you should (or can?) move to the 1 hand (or 2) in the lower part of the steering wheel. This is the first time I have seen this video but I normally drive with my right hand in the 5 position but in my case it is normally over the wheel instead of to the under. But I sometimes do exactly what she is doing. And sometimes I use my left hand at then 7 position. By moving your hands to this position it is easier to handle resistance and torque when required.

https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/models/autonomy/ap-models.mp4

• Informative
Reactions: chwall P90DL
Please watch this video from the Tesla web site. Notice that the driver has both hands on the wheel in the 10/2 position. Then notice the driver activates AP (TACC+AS). Then notice the hand(s) position of the driver. I am not sure what she is doing with her left hand. But her right hand is definitely moved to position 5 on the steer wheel. I do not know about you but it sure seems in this video (from Tesla) that they are saying when driving without AP then use the 10/2 position (both hands) but when using AP you should (or can?) move to the 1 hand (or 2) in the lower part of the steering wheel. This is the first time I have seen this video but I normally drive with my right hand in the 5 position but in my case it is normally over the wheel instead of to the under. But I sometimes do exactly what she is doing. And sometimes I use my left hand at then 7 position. By moving your hands to this position it is easier to handle resistance and torque when required.

https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/models/autonomy/ap-models.mp4

Yup- I do the same. Works great normally but I’ll admit that my over 800 mile weekend trip did show me what all the gripes are about with this new nag frequency. For the most part I don’t think it’s a big deal, but I did get thrown in AP jail once, even tho I had my hand on the wheel the entire time. Guess I didn’t respond fast enough/enough torque to repeated nags.

On another note, this trip was the best I’ve ever seen AP perform, and that’s me comparing my use of AP 1.0 for over 1.5 years and AP 2.0 since March 2017. It was absolutely flawless, even at 90mph for sustained periods of time.