Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would guess the SvC is sick and tired of requests for ‘current firmware’ and so pushes the button for ‘load current’ on all visits. No matter if you have the current one or not, the car will get the current one and you will get a software download notice. Too bad it’s not smart enough to disregard if it’s the same number.

They said they had to push the "latest" firmware because of the camera impact from changing the windshield. I "assumed" that meant new version. But @chillaban 's post helped me to understand they just meant they had to reload the software once the windshield was changed.

Sidebar - when I researched replacing windshield on TMC, I saw options to have Safelite do it. After now having had Tesla do it, I wonder about how Safelite would have dealt with the camera.

They said they had to push the "latest" firmware because of the camera impact from changing the windshield. I "assumed" that meant new version. But @chillaban 's post helped me to understand they just meant they had to reload the software once the windshield was changed.

Sidebar - when I researched replacing windshield on TMC, I saw options to have Safelite do it. After now having had Tesla do it, I wonder about how Safelite would have dealt with the camera.
I'm not sure he meant anything different from what I said. I doubt the 'camera' knows that the windshield changed or that replacing the windshield 'invalidates the current copy of the firmware'. What purpose would reloading it do? Seriously asking, because I bet the answer is none. The firmware isn't wiped out by changing the windshield or even replacing the cameras.

As for Safelite, yes, the SvC would have probably/perhaps had to deal with a camera alignment when the windshield is replaced. But they must replace windshields all the time now on cars that have cameras. Tesla isn't the only one. Wonder what their process is? But that's not 'reloading the firmware' if you are already on the current version (as over 85% of the TeslaFi fleet already is, for example).

Ok, then I know not to upgrade just yet. thanks.

I have a 2500 mile road trip in August, so I'll try and hold off on upgrading. The problem is Tesla is very aggressive popping up the firmware update screen every time I start and stop the car. I don't know which nag is worse!
Dismissing the update screen become automatic after a while. You just have to press anywhere outside the popup and it'll go away. One time per drive is a minimal fuss.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
New topic:

Anyone getting AP ‘double beeps’? I’ve never gotten these before 2018.21.9 and don’t know what the cause was. Got them three times on my road trip yesterday. It was ‘beep-beep’ while in AP, no disengagement, no icons on the screen, no change in behavior, no nothing, It wasn’t phantom braking, no vehicle too close, etc. Really puzzled by this. (Tones were the same, not at all like the AP engage/disengage, of course.)
I got the AP "double beeps" also since 2018.21.9

Reactions: boaterva and don123
Someone asked Elon about blind spot detection and he said it would be coming in v9 in August.

So why not make the visibility change then rather than crimping visibility of the visual nag at the moment they increase its frequency? There is no justifying something but alluding to a potentiality (especially citing Elon Musk timelines from twitter responses).

Reactions: MIT_S60
I applied this update a few days ago on an AP1 90D. One weird observed behavior. On a drive up the 405 in LA in the carpool lane traffic came to a stop twice. I was in lane keeping mode. When the traffic resumed moving the ID gave me a massage to press on the accelerator to resume. Since installing lane keeping in December 2015 I have never had to touch the accelerator in lane keeping mode for the car to begin moving forward. This happened twice yesterday, Other times yesterday when traffic came to a stop, the car resumed driving on its own when traffic began moving again. Neither stop that required the accelerator to resume lasted more than a minute. Anyone else have this happen for the first time with this update?

Reactions: Rossy
I applied this update a few days ago on an AP1 90D. One weird observed behavior. On a drive up the 405 in LA in the carpool lane traffic came to a stop twice. I was in lane keeping mode. When the traffic resumed moving the ID gave me a massage to press on the accelerator to resume. Since installing lane keeping in December 2015 I have never had to touch the accelerator in lane keeping mode for the car to begin moving forward. This happened twice yesterday, Other times yesterday when traffic came to a stop, the car resumed driving on its own when traffic began moving again. Neither stop that required the accelerator to resume lasted more than a minute. Anyone else have this happen for the first time with this update?
After reading this it happen to me at a stop light. I was there for a bit longer then usual. Not sure I’ve seen before. But heard of this some time ago.

Someone asked Elon about blind spot detection and he said it would be coming in v9 in August.

Presumably that’s what the left and right sides of the IC will be used for (maybe flashing red) now.

For bonus points, it would be nice to have some sort of accompanying audible alert for blind spot notification.

Since evidently lit side mirrors and HUD are out of the near-term question.

After reading this it happen to me at a stop light. I was there for a bit longer then usual. Not sure I’ve seen before. But heard of this some time ago.
It’s old behavior. I’ve seen it when the distance between you and the car in front of you get closer when stopped, like if they drifted back a bit. I think others reported it if someone walked in front of you while stopped.

Reactions: saniflash
It’s old behavior. I’ve seen it when the distance between you and the car in front of you get closer when stopped, like if they drifted back a bit. I think others reported it if someone walked in front of you while stopped.

Yes, ultrasonics trigger a hold. But what I've also observed is that no trigger occurs and it still puts a hold on. Sometimes a person is view of the camera and it does that, mostly it doesn't. So there is nothing consistent but its definitely giving holds more than it ever did just for idling in traffic.

Reactions: don123
Presumably that’s what the left and right sides of the IC will be used for (maybe flashing red) now.

For bonus points, it would be nice to have some sort of accompanying audible alert for blind spot notification.

Since evidently lit side mirrors and HUD are out of the near-term question.

I'm sure it will double beep. That's Tesla's code for "don't die!"

Yes, ultrasonics trigger a hold. But what I've also observed is that no trigger occurs and it still puts a hold on. Sometimes a person is view of the camera and it does that, mostly it doesn't. So there is nothing consistent but its definitely giving holds more than it ever did just for idling in traffic.

Again, I never had this happen over 2.5 years before this update, in exactly the same traffic on the same freeway day after day. But I will look to see if something is alerting the front ultrasonic sensors next time it happens.

And I always enjoy those ID massages.

Again, I never had this happen over 2.5 years before this update, in exactly the same traffic on the same freeway day after day. But I will look to see if something is alerting the front ultrasonic sensors next time it happens.

And I always enjoy those ID massages.
I've found that sometimes, dolls (especially with baseball caps) that people put on their rear trunk shelf get misidentified as pedestrians and can trigger a HOLD message.

Furthermore, ultrasonic detection has become a ton more sensitive since 2018.10.4 or so, so you might be seeing some effects of that.

It's also worth noting that certain other cars that have always-running ultrasonic sensors can interfere and trigger false-holds. This includes a lot of newer BMWs with driver assistance packages (the X5 seems to do it a lot for me), and even sometimes other Teslas.