Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.28.5 377ec8b

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed 28.5 last night. Here is the data from www.TeslaFI.COM on their fleets (730 of 2368) distribution on 28.5.

I was driving with this version for the first time last night (1 hr before sunset) and 3 or 4 times it was not slowing down for stopped cars as well (or at all I braked) as my previous version (2018.26 3bbd9fd - 14Jul2018). Others have this issue?

New thing happened, while driving today. I had the nav on, and was heading to a destination in traffic. I suddenly notice the behind-steering-wheel dash display go wild, first the nav section animates wildly in a circular motion, as if I had just done a rapid 360, and then the speedometer area suddenly showed those dashed yellow lines above (limiting energy) and below (limiting regen) for a second or two, and then everything went back to normal. I was moving about 30mph when it happened. Another software glitch!?

Reactions: camthehombre
Damn so many bugs! The software team must be as tired or something. Someone should remind those software developers that it isn't some cool webapp they are making, but a mission critical real-time system.

While I'm also disappointed with the number of user-facing bugs in the Tesla software, the mission-critical stuff is actually the embedded code that runs the charging system, inverters, drive units, brakes, SAS, etc. My experience so far is that those parts of the car work pretty well.

(Put another way, if the CID or IC go bonkers, that's a major annoyance, but even in that case, the car is still going to accelerate when I hit the go pedal and stop when I hit the brake pedal because those controllers will still work right.)

Bruce.

Went on a small trip today after update from 2018.26 to 2018.28.5.

First thing that I noticed was the car was no longer hugging the inside of curves and playing Pac-man with the reflectors going down the center of the road like 2018.26! The stopping while in traffic was much improved, starting to slow down well before the stopped traffic ahead and easing up to a complete stop. The air-conditioning seemed much colder at the setting I always use.

Reactions: conman
Got this update still today and not the newest 2018.32.x. Just test drove the 2018.28.5 (coming from 2018.26) on my regular local test routes. I have been driving same routes with the previous version this week. Car is 2017 90D AP2.0.

Some fine tuning has happened. For several months the car allowed limit + 10 km/h on cruise and AP on all roads. Now it is back on limit only, except for freeway. Sometimes I was able to go beyond the limit until there was a refresh of the map tile or something, which enforced the limit again. This is a bummer as the traffic is 5 - 10 km/h over limit generally. I feel awkward about building a queue with a 100k Tesla...

I was anxious when I read this post. For me previously on .26 the AP1 limit was not consistent; sometimes it would allow +10 and other times it would allow any speed I wanted beyond the posted speed limit. Other times it would allow a higher than +10 posted speed for a little while, and then decelerate to +10 with a dash message stating autopilot limited to +10; with no change in posted speed on the road in question and no traffic signs were passed.

On 28.5 so far I have noticed no change. I was still able to drive beyond +10 using AP1. At one place AP1 was happy going 126 in a 90 zone. (yes, the dash displayed 90km/h)

I have not noticed a change in anything at all with this update, but I haven't used Navigation yet.

While I'm also disappointed with the number of user-facing bugs in the Tesla software, the mission-critical stuff is actually the embedded code that runs the charging system, inverters, drive units, brakes, SAS, etc. My experience so far is that those parts of the car work pretty well.

(Put another way, if the CID or IC go bonkers, that's a major annoyance, but even in that case, the car is still going to accelerate when I hit the go pedal and stop when I hit the brake pedal because those controllers will still work right.)

Bruce.

Indeed, but I would consider an instrument cluster as a crucial part that should be considered mission critical. It should have proper watchdogs that will reset it for you. :)

Is it just me, or is the navigation tracking much more smoothly than it used to? After installing 28.5, it seems like the navigation on the main screen is updating at 20-30 frames per second when I thought it used to be more like 3-4 frames per second. I wonder if they've further optimized the software. Anyone run those benchmark tests on the MCU lately?

Is it just me, or is the navigation tracking much more smoothly than it used to? After installing 28.5, it seems like the navigation on the main screen is updating at 20-30 frames per second when I thought it used to be more like 3-4 frames per second. I wonder if they've further optimized the software. Anyone run those benchmark tests on the MCU lately?
It seemed much smoother to me. It used to seem to refresh at one frame per second or two.

Got this update yesterday morning and ever since the long press on the left steering wheel buttons to change Slacker stations don’t work. Anyone else experiencing this?

I didn't know I could do this, so I tried. Yes, I could change the station to the next stored favourite Slacker station by holding the button down.

Thanks for the info! and sorry yours doesn't do it anymore :(

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve