Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.34

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated to this version. Going to use Pin to Drive all the time, the most common form of car theft in Australia (37% of all car thefts) is stealing the keys during a break and enter of your home. This removes that risk completely!
Now they will just break into your house, creep into your bedroom, wake you up and force you to reveal your PIN.... before they steal your car.

Just curious, since the thefts are done by amplifying the FOB signal so the car still thinks it's talking directly to the FOB, but instead it talks with the same FOB only a bit further away and amplified:

How can an additional layer of encryption solve this problem? The car is still talking to the same FOB, and the middleman is not altering the signal.

The PIN is entered on the big screen and is entirely separate from the keyless entry system. The PIN acts as a second line of defence, preventing the car from being driven, after someone has already gained access.

Blocking attacks against keyless entry systems using bidirectional relays will probably require the use of time/distance sensitive protocols.

Just got this update as well but not using Pin to drive. Thinking about it, doesn't this potentially open up a new problem... if your touch screen fails due to a bug or any software failure, you would not be able to enter the pin even if you have the key on you. Also if you are in an accident and the screen is damaged. There will be no way for you to type the pin in.

Just got this update as well but not using Pin to drive. Thinking about it, doesn't this potentially open up a new problem... if your touch screen fails due to a bug or any software failure, you would not be able to enter the pin even if you have the key on you. Also if you are in an accident and the screen is damaged. There will be no way for you to type the pin in.
For whatever reason you are unable to unlock the PIN to drive - The keyless drive feature in the Tesla App overrides the PIN to drive lock.

I was actually expecting a new feature in the App to turn off PIN to drive, just like you would with Valet mode, however it looks like they haven't bothered with it yet.

Last edited:
For whatever reason you are unable to unlock the PIN to drive - The keyless drive feature in the Tesla App overrides the PIN to drive lock.

I was actually expecting a new feature in the App to turn off PIN to drive, just like you would with Valet mode, however it looks like they haven't bothered with it yet.

Tested and confirmed that this works. Thanks for the tip! Using PIN to drive now!

This is an interesting observation with autopilot:
18.34 no longer requires you to physically move the steering wheel while on autopilot. : teslamotors
He discovered that using any scrollwheel on the steering wheel or the indicator stalk also works as acknowledgement you're holding the steering wheel without moving it. Of course it still nags and you still need to actively do something, but at least it's a start towards less nags.

Can anyone here confirm this works on S and X?

I have confirmed this. Scrolling the wheels, using the turn signal meets the nag requirement and it goes away until the next time it needs feedback.
That's good that turn signal would meet the nag requirement. It was annoying and unsafe when I would get a nag in the middle of using auto lane change, and holding the stalk wasn't enough to make the nag go away.

Reactions: croman and SpudLime
Or you could use the system as intended and keep your hands on the wheel as autopilot reminds you EVERY TIME you activate ito_O.
Except that I get nagged all the time by autopilot even though I ALWAYS have both hands on the wheel... but then we've had this debate a thousand times over already and everyone on the other side of the fence insists we're driving wrong. Let's leave it there shall we, and discuss how the false positive nag can be improved?

Reactions: rnortman