Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@HumanGenome @djlott @mfmvdsande @scottf200 @ReturnZero

What exactly about my statement are yall disagreeing with here? Do you feel I should have been using my screen differently in the past? Have yall been dissatisfied with having the split screen option for the past 6 years, and prefer having LESS configurability?

Specifically, the hyperbole of stating that half the screen is useless, which it clearly isn't. I understand that you want it to be different, and I support sending Tesla messages requesting this change back - and I think it's likely that they will add this back in a future version. I'm just getting tired of the overstatements and petitions, and won't be surprised when I see the first class action suit against Tesla about it. Your post was particularly egregious and I disagreed with it.

View attachment 342040 Still waiting for v9.

Watching traffic is killing me smalls.

I know exactly how you feel

0143DCEC-B301-4CDD-99F6-DEF9C9DDCA32.png

Reactions: SpudLime
@HumanGenome @djlott @mfmvdsande @scottf200 @ReturnZero

What exactly about my statement are yall disagreeing with here? Do you feel I should have been using my screen differently in the past? Have yall been dissatisfied with having the split screen option for the past 6 years, and prefer having LESS configurability?
50% of my huge screen is now useless for most of my driving.
Your 'useless' exaggeration. I don't think the intent was every for people to stare at a 'rear' (backup) screen for 'safety' reason while driving 'forward'. They have emphasized Nav at eye level for a while just like other human UIs in other cars. Recall when the buttons on the top disappeared after a few seconds so more of the Nav could be put on top (quicker glance level). I don't think all software changes that 'let' users customize things to the X-th degree are inherently a reason that the designers can't change their intended focus and human tested UI experiences. That 'Less configurable' is really a misleading statement. why not split the screen in to 1/4th or configure it more and put the backup screen on the Drive Info Center/Console in place of the speed and car within lane. In a car driving simulation I bet the backup camera on the top actually is less safe if people are really looking at it much.

That being said I have driven with the backup camera when hauling large things in my X as I didn't have a rearview mirror then. It would make no difference if it was on the bottom half of the screen or top half. Just my worthless 2 cents :) Peace out.

There are, naturally, a number of different points of view. One point of view is that the rear view camera is just an app (and this appears to be Tesla's take on it). Another view seems to be that it's just a UI change and everyone should just get over it. Some seem to think it should only ever be used when backing up.

My point of view is this: When I bought my first Tesla, being able to keep that rear view camera up all the time was a fantastic feature. The pick-up truck I drove before had a very large FOV out the rear view mirror, and the Model S didn't. The rear view camera more than made up for this loss of view, however, as the FOV on the camera when coupled with the side mirrors meant that I no longer had any blind spots. Any cars that were passing me (and this is the critical piece of information wrt my use case), I would still see the back end of the car in the rear camera view while the front of the car was visible in the side mirror. No blind spots.

But, for this to work, the rear camera view really needed to be close to the same level as the rear view cameras. The way the center console screen is mounted in the Model S, I can't really see the rear camera view when it's at the bottom if I'm holding onto the steering wheel with my right hand as my arm will block most of the view. Locking the view to the bottom of the display means I can no longer use it to check around me when changing lanes. I used the camera more for lane changes than for backing up by far. Is it completely useless to me? No. Has its function been significantly hindered? For my purposes, absolutely.

At this point I think Nissan and other car manufacturers have an edge on Tesla in this regard. At least when you back up in their cars, you get a full 360 degree view around the car. IMO Tesla has taken a step backwards in capability and, as far as my use case is concerned, safety.

You are of course welcome to use the capabilities Tesla allows you to keep whichever way you want. I'm currently trying to decide whether to mount my old Nexus 7 tablet on the dash and connect it to my dashcam to replace the capability, or whether I want to ask for a firmware downgrade.

(I might add that I'm underwhelmed by the lack of FSD features that had been tweeted about, puzzled by the inclusion of video games and indifferent about the rest of the UI changes on the whole)

Yes, people do get the download a LOT faster (due to bandwidth) on WiFi, but he convinces me that it does not come any "sooner" in most cases. I

IIRC, it works like this:

- Software updates are _only_ downloaded over WiFi _except_ for security updates. The only security update I ever got was 'NagGate', 21.9. Map updates are also only downloaded over WiFi.

- If your car is on WiFi it does not help you in any way in getting your update. It is just a requirement to get it, but it doesn't make you get it sooner than anybody else. You need to wait your turn in line. Not all cars get all updates.

Tesla does some sort of A/B testing. So for example 50% of the fleet gets update A, the other 50% gets update B. Rollouts are done gradually so they can spot and fix issues to prevent a bug from bricking all cars. Tesla is becoming a bit like the Android of cars. They have lots of different hardware configurations (different display resolutions throughout the years, different MCUs, AP1/AP2/AP2.5, differences between MS/MX/M3, etc, etc) so there is a lot to test.

My car for example is still running 2018.34 and I don't think I'll get the 2018.36 update. My car is connected to WiFi every night. Yet, I've received other updates as one of the first.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman