Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Radar when you have a lot of metal objects close by is veeeeery ghosty. Lots of shadowing, ghosting, and combining effects from the beam bouncing on multiple cars all going at low speeds.

It's the high speed motion of a car that makes radar signals easier to process because there can only be so many gigantic metal objects traveling at your speed.
For some types of radar I generally agree. It's probably not obvious that radar design is one of my specialties so the in the case of the Tesla, this isn't an issue, or at least of minor consequence. I am intimately familiar with that design. ;)

Is anyone else having trouble using summon from your smartphone app on V9? My app is still able to do everything else but it just says "connecting" when I go into the summon screen on the app.
Yes, that's happening with me (iPhone X and all current software)
But I use the FOB for summons everyday, so did not notice.

old |v2018.34.1|AP2,PUP|
new |v2018.39.6|AP2,PUP|

For some types of radar I generally agree. It's probably not obvious that radar design is one of my specialties so the in the case of the Tesla, this isn't an issue, or at least of minor consequence. I am intimately familiar with that design. ;)

Haha I actually spent a lot of time in automotive too, working with the LRR14 :). I would imagine it behaves relatively similar to the MRR that AP2.0 and 1.0 uses.

FWIW if you haven't seen yet, Verygreen has some videos showing what Tesla's radar driver is able to produce:

I think "of minor consequence" is the key here. Yeah these radars are pretty awesome most of the time, but at what percentage is accelerating into the car ahead of you going to be considered acceptable?

FWIW I've seen a ton of distance mis-estimation with trucks and certain smaller pickups. It's as if it's tracking the differential hanging under the car as the rear of the car.

I am still 32.2. I have yet to see anyone on TeslaFi who got the update to V9 coming from 32.2. Perhaps not possible?

I think it just hasn't happened yet. I'm on 32.2 as well.

Actually my biggest question is why those of us on 32.2 never got the PIN-to-drive update. Haha.

Well you could go from 32.2 to 26.2 like this one fellow: that is the second downgrade I have seen lately, typo?
Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 3.44.13 PM.png

@HumanGenome @djlott @mfmvdsande @scottf200 @ReturnZero

What exactly about my statement are yall disagreeing with here? Do you feel I should have been using my screen differently in the past? Have yall been dissatisfied with having the split screen option for the past 6 years, and prefer having LESS configurability?

Gonna go out on a limb and say it’s none of the above.

Change is hard for people. Happens across all kinds of products. Apple Microsoft Tesla and other companies change things all the time that some people don’t like.

Either you learn to accept it or you dont buy the product. These posts of signing a petition, escalating to executive, all make folks look like entitled whiners. This is the way it is and it’s been like that for years.

Either get over it or move on to something else.

Last edited:
Escalating to executive all make folks look like entitled whiners.

These people paid for a $100K vehicle.

They are entitled to their whining.

Tesla has to cave to them because Tesla wouldn't be where it is today without them.

The best future customer a car company has is an existing customer. They're likely going to be brand loyal as long as the company listens to their concerns/issues. They're also likely going to talk positively about the car, and ownership to coworkers/friends/strangers/etc.

This UI request isn't a massive ask. It's not asking for anything new, but for functionality to be restored. This isn't asking for anything risky like wanting to remove nags.

Got a good long freeway drive in today. AP 2.0.

Autosteer seems a little more nervous and darty at times. Some previously tricky cases (one lane splitting into two) that used to result in a last minute swerve one way or another is now handled pretty smoothly.

The blind spot monitoring is pretty good at rendering cars, pretty bad at big trucks. They still dance around, double up, and generally distract from an otherwise decent experience.

Gonna go out on a limb and say it’s none of the above.

Change is hard for people. Happens across all kinds of products. Apple Microsoft Tesla and other companies change things all the time that some people don’t like.

Either you learn to accept it or you dont buy the product. These posts of signing a petition, escalating to executive, all make folks look like entitled whiners. This is the way it is and it’s been like that for years.

Either get over it or move on to something else.

Strongly disagree. It’s taking away an actual feature without warning and without any valid reason. And attaching it to an update that will inevitably become necessary for many over time.

There really isn’t any justification for it. Bringing the s and x in alignment with the 3 is a terrible justification for it.

The split screen is something that Tesla has advertised and was highlighted on every test drive I did.

And while it may seem easy to dismiss the number of people here as the vocal minority you actually have no idea what the average owner thinks. But I can assure you that my wife won’t go anywhere near an internet message board, but when we finally get updated to V9 her first sense of confusion is going to be where did the split screen go. She loves it. I personally am indifferent. But I know it’s going to be an issue for her. And she will have a right to be upset by it. Functionality was not added.... it was removed.