Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still in 48.12 here. Does the update come randomly? Haven't received any alerts or notification of any new updates. Will the app notify you or do you have to be in your car?
You never know when you will get an update, so yes they are random. If an update is available and you take your car in for service, you will normally get an update within a few hours after leaving the service center.

You will get a notification on your phone when an update is available and you can start the update on your Tesla phone app

Reactions: jvl007
You never know when you will get an update, so yes they are random. If an update is available and you take your car in for service, you will normally get an update within a few hours after leaving the service center.

You will get a notification on your phone when an update is available and you can start the update on your Tesla phone app

Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Has anyone else had "charging complete" notifications stop appearing? I've been unable to get them since pretty much V9. I've tried disabling and re-enabling them and they still never show up.

Maybe totally different issue but I had that happen to me when I moved to 48. Someone on the forum told me to look at my phone app and sure enough the charging notifications had been turned off somehow. Turned them back on and all was well. Still getting the charge complete messages on my iPhone / Watch with 50.7.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
  • MCU not freezing and requiring a reboot daily or if you are lucky, weekly.
  • Spotify or Slacker working more than 50% of the time.
  • USB music media handling improvements.
  • Display or read out SMS messages (even just a notification icon for goodness sake).
  • Rain sensing wipers working better than 50% of the time.
  • Visual display of parking bay lines.
  • Dog mode

Interesting how different our experiences are. My MCU doesn't freeze. My Slacker works 99.9% of the time. The auto-wipers on the first notch work well 99.9% of the time. I don't listen to USB music and my dog cannot ride in the car so those I cannot comment on.

But your point in fixing bugs as a priority is definitely needed. I'd love to have a working browser again and 2 apps up at the same time besides map/tunes. I guess the latter is not technically a bug but rather a stupid design. And I don't care personally about reading texts (they rarely bring good news) but auto mirror fold is definitely something I could use.

Reactions: Siggy101
My MCU has never Frozen... so how luck am I ???
As best as owners have been able to determine, the MCU freeze is linked in to Spofity not working (yes I know the US does not get this option).
But if you have any Spofity albums on the recently played bar down the bottom and you press one when Spofity is not working (which is more often than not) then the screen just freezes, it is totally unresponsive and requires a two button reset. (Why they don't have a watchdog checking for frozen apps I have no idea). A frozen music app should NEVER prevent access to menu items that affect the cars operation.
Like I'd mentioned, Service Centre has been made well aware by many owners and they acknowledge Tesla know about it.....since October last year.

As best as owners have been able to determine, the MCU freeze is linked in to Spofity not working (yes I know the US does not get this option).
But if you have any Spofity albums on the recently played bar down the bottom and you press one when Spofity is not working (which is more often than not) then the screen just freezes, it is totally unresponsive and requires a two button reset. (Why they don't have a watchdog checking for frozen apps I have no idea). A frozen music app should NEVER prevent access to menu items that affect the cars operation.
Like I'd mentioned, Service Centre has been made well aware by many owners and they acknowledge Tesla know about it.....since October last year.

I've seen that behavior or at least a similar one - wife was trying to find music on Spotify, and whatever happened, the MCU locked up and then rebooted itself. She doesn't touch spotify so often now, so its more stable.

Had a new one yesterday, was trucking along down a motorway on AP, all of a sudden the car started making the "Tesla Collision Warning" sound, and the MCU repeatedly flashed "Take over immediately". I noticed that the driver display was not updating at all. After a minute of puzzling what happened the drivers display faded to grey and rebooted itself. Certainly a bit of a WTF moment.

Ah the joys of owning a Tesla - I love the car, could live without some of the software faults.

Reactions: OPRCE and Siggy101
Yep, why I've never used AP in my car, too many WTF stories out there like the one you just told.
Thankfully the car redeems itself beyond anything else out there in how it drives, and it's super comfortable too.

These are 2 different systems. When the ATT Cellular Signal was out a few days ago, I thought it was the 50 update which I had just received. So I tried that two finger reboot to see if it would reconnect. I was using AP at the time going thru downtown Rochester and it did not disengage and did not falter. But then again I always have my Hands on the wheel, because I dont care who programmed it, I'm not gonna 100% trust it.

Reactions: StefanSarzio
I've seen that behavior or at least a similar one - wife was trying to find music on Spotify, and whatever happened, the MCU locked up and then rebooted itself. She doesn't touch spotify so often now, so its more stable.

Had a new one yesterday, was trucking along down a motorway on AP, all of a sudden the car started making the "Tesla Collision Warning" sound, and the MCU repeatedly flashed "Take over immediately". I noticed that the driver display was not updating at all. After a minute of puzzling what happened the drivers display faded to grey and rebooted itself. Certainly a bit of a WTF moment.

Ah the joys of owning a Tesla - I love the car, could live without some of the software faults.

The Driver Display is the Only Display that warns for Collision.
The Main Screen does not display that, at least not here in the US???
Also, again AP kept functioning during a reboot, so not run by the MediaContolUnit

Reactions: StefanSarzio
The Driver Display is the Only Display that warns for Collision.
The Main Screen does not display that, at least not here in the US???
Also, again AP kept functioning during a reboot, so not run by the MediaContolUnit

I can only report what I saw, big flashing "Take over immediately" displayed on the MCU. Maybe you've never seen the consequences of a driver display crash - I certainly hadn't either.

I'm not a new owner and thought I knew my car and its quirks inside out, like I said bit of a WTF moment.

I can only report what I saw, big flashing "Take over immediately" displayed on the MCU. Maybe you've never seen the consequences of a driver display crash - I certainly hadn't either.

I'm not a new owner and thought I knew my car and its quirks inside out, like I said bit of a WTF moment.

I'm certainly no expert, but I know a 2 thumb wheel reboot will restart both screens & will not effect driving or AutoPilot... it was probably not wise of me to try my reboot while in AutoPilot, but at least I was in the 25 mph zone of Downtown, so nothing too catastrophic was gonna happen. Happy to report AutoPilot continues to drive during an MCU reboot and worked without problem. The MCU is the Media Control Unit which most likely handles Radio, etc & maybe displaying the little cars on the Driver Display, but I think it has Zero to do with anything Driving.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I'm certainly no expert, but I know a 2 thumb wheel reboot will restart both screens
That's the case if it's a newer car that has an MCU2. If the car has the older MCU the two screens (or actually "computers") are independent of each other. You can reboot the MCU by pressing both wheels and reboot the IC (instrument cluster) by pressing the buttons above the wheels. While rebooting one screen the other remains working.

With the older MCU If there's an AP message while rebooting the IC it will be displayed on the MCU.

Rollout wise, seems like this is getting to the corners now. :D Our 3 got it a month ago and just got it on our X tonight.

And a comment on charging notifications, always get charging started, but never completed. Been that way forever, so I do think it’s a back end issue.

I observed once a driver display failure that causes the diaplay too freeze. The speed and display was not updating for seconds. Car was on AP. Then out of nothing a big icon (nearlynhalf the screen of the MCU) with beeping sound and a warning message 'take over control'

This was in a loaner, not experienced this in my own car, in a older firmware that we are discussing

Rollout wise, seems like this is getting to the corners now. :D Our 3 got it a month ago and just got it on our X tonight.
I got 2018.50.6 on the 90D several weeks ago and just got updates on the 75D and 100D last night. The 75D has AP2.5 so maybe there's a chance it will get a more recent version than 2018.50.6.

Update: The 75D and 100D both got the 2018.50.6 update. The Model 3 has 2018.50.6 and didn't get any new updates.

File sizes for the 75D and 100D were 236 MB and 300 MB, respectively.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I drove on 2018.50.7 for the first time yesterday.

I didn't see any real improvements in Navigate On Autopilot -- in fact it seemed a bit more squirrelly on lane changes. Yesterday in heavy freeway traffic, light rain: it found a hole, started the change, balked after crossing the line, returned to the first lane, then resumed and completed the lane change.

It did that twice -- made me look like a bit of an id1ot driver. But it could have been unique circumstances and not anything to do with 2019.50.7.

Aside from that, I'm hoping to discover that it will do a better job of storing my preferences. I keep finding I lost my enable of Navigate on Autopilot, my parking chime setting, my mirror auto-tilt, and a few other settings that would magically be reset in 2018.48.1.

There must be some change or it would not have been sent, right?

I am not a computer person but maybe the purpose is to rewrite a whole bunch of code in a more efficient fashion to make operations quicker? or free up some storage space?

Or does it just lay some kind of framework to set up the next update?

Reactions: Richard34212