Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's clear that both the S/X and 3/Y have some, er, changes in the latest update pertaining to the size and placement of information. Just to point out that this problem manifests itself in different ways for different models and that can cause some confusion with all of them being discussed in the same thread. (Or at least I've been confused at various points.)

Bruce.

I see a lot of folk don't like the reduction in the map size, although personally I prefer it. When we first sat in a 3 in a Tesla gallery prior to placing our order for an M3SR+, my wife and I were puzzled that a) the map took up so much screen space, and b) you can't make it go away (although the energy display or music display etc can overlay instead.)

As I have lived in my city for 42 years, I rarely use the navigation screen. The maps and routes are already in my head. I'm old school :) I can visualize a route and "recalculate" on the move. Occasionally I use Google maps on my phone before leaving home to check on traffic congestion. So, for me, sometimes I would like to be able to completely minimize the map display and just devote the entire screen to the driving/status display.

That said, I don't like the status indicators (P,R,N,D, low beam, high beam, side/parking lights, fog lights, seat belt reminder, SRS warning, ABS warning, Park brake, Hold etc etc) down the edge of the screen. Everything below the level of the side/parking lights indicator is obscured by the steering wheel and my hand. See photo. I don't mind them being displayed vertically, but they need to be located where they are visible e.g. may be between the driving display and the map display. Note: I'm in a left side of the road / right hand side of the car driving country, so I don't know whether the North American cars also have the status indicators down the side nearest to the steering wheel.

2020-12-29 Driver view 2020.48.26.png

Finally, anyone else notice that the update is 2020.48.26 but the release notes say 2020.48.25 ?

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
(I know you probably have a way to force that, but I'm taking about what us mortal users would normally see.)
yes. like I mentioned from the start, there's a "hidden setting" that you can enable on s/x cars (since all s/x cars share the same firmware (well, now mcu1 andmcu2 have their own of course, but since you can have mcu2 with no AP, the option is present in there as well).
Model 3 on the other hand did away with a bunch of the legacy stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Folks, it's not that bad. Even with the smaller screen area for the backup camera, it's still as big if not bigger than the rear view camera display of other OEMs (with the exception of maybe the new Ram with 12.1" vertical display). Also, Elon tweeted in the last couple of days that they're going to allow for user selection of screen layout in a future update, so you can prioritize what takes up the screen. I do feel like this update was rushed out just so Tesla could say that they delivered something for the holidays, but any grievances should hopefully be rectified quickly. Remember that Tesla will be pushing a Part II update within the next couple of weeks.
O

I can't measure (obviously) but my display, 2018 model 3, the speedo. numbers appear to be larger, and the backup field of view wider. Took a while to figure where mileage data and tire pressure went - see the thin bars either side of 3 dots near the bottom of the screen. I don't have the obstruction problem from side bar. Perhaps this relates to seating position or model? I do think visualization of surrounding traffic is a bit better.

By far, my biggest complaint of visualization is the font size of the warning messages, some of which are serious. I have 20/20 vision but I have trouble reading them while I'm driving, especially as they often relate to traffic hazards, and they need to stay on the screen a bit longer. If larger, I wouldn't take my eyes off the road so long. I think this is the biggest issue I have had with the format - old or new. I want safety messages to scream out at me. Squinting is not a benefit of using less space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Transformer
I created a service ticket in the Tesla app. They'll probably close it and I'll post if I get a response. Otherwise, I have a mobile service appointment for Wednesday morning. :)

So apparently mobile service cannot roll back or re-flash the previous version of the software. The reply I received from Tesla said, "...We cannot change the firmware back. What I can do is send your request in regards to your concerns to our engineering team for feedback."

Well, that's disappointing.

• Informative
I am going to spend more time with before I make my decision whether I like it or not. Like most, I am disappointed that the nav screen and backup camera space was decreased. I haven’t spent enough time with it to see if it is functionally better. Yeah, maybe over time it will grow on me. Who knows. I don’t have FSD and agree that the left side of the screen now underutilized.

Also, I have bad eyesight and being able to see everything hasn’t been an issue for me.

Still not understanding why we (most of us) blindly jump to update not knowing what all will be changed.

Why don't we get a demo (online) that describes and shows what to expect with the update? Giving us a choice to do - or not.

Certainly the software team is already using a demo to show their achievement to their superiors before final release.

Adding to the list of setbacks on this update
  • Speed adjustment is now undiscoverable, you must memorize right scroll wheel for this. Following distance too
  • Ditto voice command - press right scroll wheel. Memorize memorize memorize.
  • For those with presbyopia, the status bar that shows regen power is now mere pixels and light gray on white. Can barely see it let alone tell where the line is dotted.
  • And of course, font decrease renders just about everything unreadable for people with presbyopia
On the plus side, I think the gray battery is an improvement. Best practices for visualization call for using color only when something requires your attention.

I do want to say what while unhappy, I don’t think it is right to slam the developers.
I went to test drive my MS this after noon after looking at my wifes M3.....hers has the grey battery and no color on stop lights....however, mine MS has green color in the battery, red, yellow and green in the stop lights....all stop lights, not just the one in my lane....did I miss something earlier with regards to this issue?

also, I was able to see the fonts s little better today, but after my rant yesterday, I think I might be able to live with it...but my presbyopia is getting worse, especially at night with glasses...with my with contacts during the day, it is ok, but not not perfect.....still should be one size larger

Reactions: pilotSteve
I just don't understand new UI designers. Its like they don't use their own UI in context. In this case; DRIVING!
Low contrast, less color, small icons, small font. An "easter egg" hunt for functionality, swipe swipe. Reallly? while driving?
They won't quit until its just a blank white page. They call it "Clean". I call it unusable.
In a car, I call it DANGEROUS.

I like the font to be smaller. Everyone knows how fast it is and the battery can always be seen how charged it is. These are not things of first and immediate necessity. For the image of the signs I am OK again. I have a problem with the rear camera at night - nothing is visible (it is very dark). This problem is also from the last update.

Reactions: BDC62
So apparently mobile service cannot roll back or re-flash the previous version of the software.

The reply I received from Tesla said, "...We cannot change the firmware back.
What I can do is send your request in regards to your concerns to our engineering team for feedback."

Well, that's disappointing.
This is B.S.

When I got my FSD 3.0 new computer, the Software version was set to a much older version.

May be to get coherent installation results based on the same software version when installing a new hardware.

can cause some confusion

Discussion is even more confusing when a poster owns or refers to multiple models within a post or responds to such a post without being clear which model the original comments related to.

Overlay different ages / eyesight and it becomes quite confusing to follow.

Fortunately, concepts like 'one size doesn't fit all', 'certain changes should allow rollback' and 'OTA updates can make negative as well as positive changes' are fairly universal.