Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would be interesting to know the number of Tesla owners that will ever use FSD. Unless you have a soul crushing commute why give up driving a car that's really fun to drive. If the % of FSD users is small, why do the non-FSDers have to live w the compromises (like the latest update) entail?
Thoughts?

...give up driving a car that's really fun to drive...

That's a myth!

Yes, the car is fun but until you drive a lot and it becomes a mundane task and it's no fun to get ticketed.

People have paid FSD since 2016 and there's no way telling when they can shift the burden of paying attention to the road to the machine.

People falsely think that it's either pure joy of manual driving or totally machine driving with no steering wheels and brake pedals when we paid for FSD!

We paid good money for FSD but we still have to do lots of manual driving tasks and if we don't pay attention to the road we got ticketed!

This might not be a popular opinion on this forum, but I’m alarmed by how the UI is being optimized for FSD at the expense of folks who just want to drive the car manually. As someone who doesn’t even like using the basic autopilot and has absolutely no interest in paying for FSD, I’d love to minimize the car visualization. Instead they keep taking up more of the screen and becoming more distracting at the expense of usability.
in fact there's an option for that. just shows you a big analog speedometer (it's used on ap-less cars by default).
Too bad it's not something regular users can control

Reactions: bmah
Hi I got the update yesterday (M3LR AWD). At first I thought it was neat but after 2 days of driving i agree that (1) too much dead space on left taken up by avatar and map is too small, (2) the battery bar should remain coloured and not be grey, but most frustrating of all (3) my trunk keeps opening on its own!

in fact there's an option for that. just shows you a big analog speedometer (it's used on ap-less cars by default).
Too bad it's not something regular users can control

That sounds like a dream come true! I always wished there was a setting similar to the Saab “Night Panel”.

30706028-FE62-4E74-B73D-4F763EF9F327.jpeg

I think it would be interesting to know the number of Tesla owners that will ever use FSD. Unless you have a soul crushing commute why give up driving a car that's really fun to drive. If the % of FSD users is small, why do the non-FSDers have to live w the compromises (like the latest update) entail?
Thoughts?

Agreed. I’m all for having two UI’s. One for cars with FSD, one without.

Well, it was migrated here from the model X subforum ;)

IIRC, the only cars that had the big analog speedo on the IC were Model S, either with pre-7.0 software, or cars that didn't have AP hardware at all. I don't think the Model X ever had it, because every Model X ever made has AP hardware and post-7.0 software.

(I know you probably have a way to force that, but I'm taking about what us mortal users would normally see.)

Bruce.

Perfect reason why there should be a different UI for FSD. I drive way more manually than with TACC / AS.
I won't mind that - make the max set speed bigger when on AP and the actual speed bigger when on manual drive.

Either way - quite happy with the font size. As I noted, I wouldn't have even realized the font size had changed, if I had not read these posts. I suspect the problem is not the font size reduction but the position shift.

IIRC, the only cars that had the big analog speedo on the IC were Model S, either with pre-7.0 software, or cars that didn't have AP hardware at all. I don't think the Model X ever had it, because every Model X ever made has AP hardware and post-7.0 software.

(I know you probably have a way to force that, but I'm taking about what us mortal users would normally see.)

Bruce.
My 2012 Sig 85 instrument cluster, circa 2014.
S85 2014.jpeg

Last edited:
My first post. I have a MS 2016.5. I first experienced this new update at night when I had to pickup a relative at the airport. I agree the font is too much smaller. I actually thought it was a little dangerous where they moved the drive selector clear to the left side of the display. I actually just had the MCU2 Upgrade done (December 23rd) and was enjoying the clarity of both displays and the speed of the MCU.

Reactions: Transformer
I won't mind that - make the max set speed bigger when on AP and the actual speed bigger when on manual drive.

Either way - quite happy with the font size. As I noted, I wouldn't have even realized the font size had changed, if I had not read these posts. I suspect the problem is not the font size reduction but the position shift.

I immediately suspected it was smaller. You’d think being a few inches closer I would have perceived it as larger. But I didn’t.

I kinda like it.
Folks, it's not that bad. Even with the smaller screen area for the backup camera, it's still as big if not bigger than the rear view camera display of other OEMs (with the exception of maybe the new Ram with 12.1" vertical display). Also, Elon tweeted in the last couple of days that they're going to allow for user selection of screen layout in a future update, so you can prioritize what takes up the screen. I do feel like this update was rushed out just so Tesla could say that they delivered something for the holidays, but any grievances should hopefully be rectified quickly. Remember that Tesla will be pushing a Part II update within the next couple of weeks.
I really hate the new layout. Having a smaller map and backup cam really sucks since I use those features daily. Seeing more of the car area is pointless.
Agree 100% - having less screen for navigation, music and backup cam, just so I can watch the much larger, stupid avatar driving down an empty road! Let US the DRIVER set up our own screen the way we like Elon!

Reactions: Transformer