Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely underwhelming update. Made fonts harder to read and added games I’ll likely never play. Wish they’d stop worrying about stupid crap like games and fart noises and spend more time adding features people actually care about (waypoints, 360 degree view, side view camera with turn signal, rain sensing wipers that work, etc).

Totally agree. I love my 2020 Model S, but unless Tesla starts to concern themselves with fit / finish and useful upgrades when my lease is up in 9 mo it will be replaced with a Taycan or maybe eTron GT (if available). Yes the font is too small, but I can accept that UI changes aren't always to everyones taste. I can even accept the fact that multiple UI options may add unwanted complexity. The thing that bothers me the most is that updates are mostly about games, farts and horns that play music. The kind of gimmicky non-sense that my nine-year-old nephew loves. It's just that he doesn't have 70-100k to spend on a car.

Last edited:
I think they should offer multiple layouts (and font sizes) and let the user choose. If you, for whatever reason, are not interested in driving visualizations you should be able to select a smaller size and use that space for map or cameras. They could even make the vertical line that divides the two areas draggable, for the ultimate user configurability. That should be not too difficult to do as long as the UI elements are scalable...

Absolutely!!! Need text 3 times the size. Also, need an option to speak various comments on dash and a button to delete text after I have the chance to look at it...

Reactions: rmh9
Reactions: Transformer
The update to the driver-side screen has not only moved the drive/reverse/park indicator but has reduced the size of the fonts for all of the text displayed on this screen. No, they're not easier to read. I chatted with support and no, there is no way to increase these fonts for those of us who have trouble reading small type.

Is there a way to get these issues escalated?

Couldn't agree more.
There is no doubt they are aware of the general displeasure of the new text sizes.
Hopefully Tesla will see the error of their ways and restore the most critical indicators to somewhere near their original sizes.
UI difference 3.JPG

Reactions: emulajavi
I thought maybe he is justifying the smaller text, by saying it is part of a U.I. overhaul.
Hmmm

Step 1 - create problem
Step 2 - show sympathy on social media
Step 3 - wait a month and announce the timeline for the fix. Doesn't have to be accurate - just give a date
Step 4 - if cheaply fixable deploy 12 to 18 months later. If NOT cheaply fixable, don't talk about it ever again.

Works. We're on schedule.

I have three thoughts on the UI change -

1. It looks like they moved everything so that there was more vertical area. Before, stoplights started being presented in back of other information. Now they don't.

2. If you have trouble reading the speed, you either need glasses, or probably shouldn't be driving in the first place because you're close to legally blind. All the other information is superfluous when you're moving.

3. They'll never please everyone.

The new layout is a total mess. Why fix something that ain't broke?

Totally agree. I love my 2020 Model S, but unless Tesla starts to concern themselves with fit / finish and useful upgrades when my lease is up in 9 mo it will be replaced with a Taycan or maybe eTron GT (if available). Yes the font is too small, but I can accept that UI changes aren't always to everyones taste. I can even accept the fact that multiple UI options may add unwanted complexity. The thing that bothers me the most is that updates are mostly about games, farts and horns that play music. The kind of gimmicky non-sense that my nine-year-old nephew loves. It's just that he doesn't have 70-100k to spend on a car.

I remember being in my 20s* and having no concept of what it was like not to be able to see small print clearly.

*20s - the likely age & demographic of Tesla's programmers

+1 Fun and games is one thing and I'm ok putting up with kids selling me the car b/c I don't have to deal with them again.

If you have trouble reading the speed, you either need glasses,

With due respect, I suspect you must be either very lucky or somewhat under 50. My eyesight is just fine but as you age your eyes may not change focus as quickly and for some there are other anomalies that fall well outside of 'needing glasses' or 'being blind' (for the purpose of driving).

If I stare or squint I can make out most things perfectly clearly, but when driving your eyes could be switching between close (IC screen) or distant views continuously. The longer it takes to see what you need on internal displays, the less time you concentrate on the road. Also your eyes have to adjust focus for longer to get a clear image of smaller text.

Great it doesn't effect you (yet?) but it is clearly a concern for many, particularly with regards to the Model S Instrument Cluster.

With due respect, I suspect you must be either very lucky or somewhat under 50. My eyesight is just fine but as you age your eyes may not change focus as quickly and for some there are other anomalies that fall well outside of 'needing glasses' or 'being blind' (for the purpose of driving).

If I stare or squint I can make out most things perfectly clearly, but when driving your eyes could be switching between close (IC screen) or distant views continuously. The longer it takes to see what you need on internal displays, the less time you concentrate on the road. Also your eyes have to adjust focus for longer to get a clear image of smaller text.

Great it doesn't effect you (yet?) but it is clearly a concern for many, particularly with regards to the Model S Instrument Cluster.

That is my main problem as a MS owner. Having to refocus from far to near/tiny-font, down low, takes too much time and effort. We all need to spend maximum time looking straight ahead!