Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update this morning AP2!!!!.....NOT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course you do realize that AP 2.0 full implementation is years away most likely.
Jurisdictions will have a field day with this technology and, as in the past, as new tech is introduced, it will be delayed and argued for years.
I would not count on full self driving anywhere for years to come. You will also still need to touch the steering wheel every few minutes anyway, so what's the point?

• Disagree
Reactions: HumanGenome
My experience is different. Mine seems to get the speed limit from GPS mapping data instead of "reading" the sign. I was driving on a small local street and the system did not show any speed limit, even I drove pass the speed limit sign twice.

On more major roads, of course all maps have their speed limit info. Even without seeing any sign, the system reported the speed limit correctly.
I suppose the GPS could be in sync where the signs are located. I think I'll be able to prove it one way or another when I go home this afternoon. It showed 35 incorrectly on my street before it saw any speed limit signs. If it shows 20 mph this afternoon, then that means the camera speed sign recognition works. My friend's AP1 car shows the correct speed limit on the same street.

Reactions: wesley888
To be exact, the tweet he responded to was specific and mentioned 8.1 and his tweet said in return, "about three weeks and it will get rolled out incrementally in monthly releases". Getting rolled out in monthly releases means there's no 8.1, doesn't it?

upload_2016-12-13_14-17-53.png

My experience is different. Mine seems to get the speed limit from GPS mapping data instead of "reading" the sign. I was driving on a small local street and the system did not show any speed limit, even I drove pass the speed limit sign twice.

On more major roads, of course all maps have their speed limit info. Even without seeing any sign, the system reported the speed limit correctly.
I forgot to check when passing the 20 mph sign in my neighborhood last night. I did notice that it shows 35 mph when I first leave my driveway every morning but it should be showing 20 mph. My street has been around 50 years and has probably always been 20 mph so I assumed it is just showing a default of 35 mph. I took a different way to work this morning and noticed it was wrong in many places. There are a few speed limit signs that have changed location over the years or the speeds have been bumped up or down slightly. On this way to work, it seemed like it was using data that was years old. Come to think of it, the way I took to work yesterday hasn't had speeds change in the 20 years that I've driven that road so maybe that's why they seemed to match perfectly. Sounds like you are probably right about it using GPS-based speeds currently.

Yes I was just adding that the point for those of us caught in the neverneverland of ordering before the AP2 hardware upgrade (and having test driven and paid for cars with AP1 being demo'd) and then being excited about getting AP2 Hardware, then AT DELIVERY being told:
No Autopilot
No lane warning
No auto headlights
No auto wipers
And no clear delivery date on any of it
Oh and by the way, were keeping your $2500

Its a bit much, fair business practice would say refund the $2500 until AP2 is FULLY delivered (or at a minimum AP1 which was what was demo'd during the test drive)

Well, we knew that AP2 won't be functional at all when we placed our order for the AP2 cars. They were all clearly listed out on the website. The site also never advertise auto headlights or auto wiper. We also had a choice to order the AP1 inventory cars. We just chose to get the AP2 cars. :)

Yes I was just adding that the point for those of us caught in the neverneverland of ordering before the AP2 hardware upgrade (and having test driven and paid for cars with AP1 being demo'd) and then being excited about getting AP2 Hardware, then AT DELIVERY being told:
No Autopilot
No lane warning
No auto headlights
No auto wipers
And no clear delivery date on any of it
Oh and by the way, were keeping your $2500

Its a bit much, fair business practice would say refund the $2500 until AP2 is FULLY delivered (or at a minimum AP1 which was what was demo'd during the test drive)

I have a Model S90D in production right now. I read the information when ordering the car in the Design Studio that said that all of the features above would not be available until December 2016. Hopefully you read this also and were not surprised when your car was delivered.

I have a Model S90D in production right now. I read the information when ordering the car in the Design Studio that said that all of the features above would not be available until December 2016. Hopefully you read this also and were not surprised when your car was delivered.

I think the point was that AP1 cars ordered but not built before the AP2 switch over were automatically converted to AP2 orders, and the customers were not presented with the Design Studio statement that we got to see before ordering.

I think the point was that AP1 cars ordered but not built before the AP2 switch over were automatically converted to AP2 orders, and the customers were not presented with the Design Studio statement that we got to see before ordering.

I was not aware of that so I totally agree that not having the features on you car that were there in AP1 would make me upset also.

But most, if not all, of them were contacted with information about the change as well as an offer to upgrade their AP1 level package to EAP/FSD.

No....I was surprised....unpleasantly....as I ordered the car in September after test driving a car with autopilot (AP1) and PAYING for autopilot (no mention of future AP2 and all the disclaimers on availability), then I get the "good news" that my car will be equipped with AP2 hardware in late October so im like "wooohoo" and then at delivery november 19th I get told there is no autopilot WHATSOEVER until "sometime in December".
I find out on the way home that my rain sensing wipers dont work and when i go thru the manual it says "future update".
The next day I find out i have no auto headlights, as that too is a "future update" So basically a Toyota Corolla has more tech features if you call auto headlights and rain sensing wipers tech features, since they have been around for 10+ years) than my tesla.

Look, Im super happy that I have AP2 hardware, Tesla just should have been fair and delayed charging me the $2500 for Autopilot until it was actually installed in the car.

I also work for a similar highly government regulated industry that makes limited production devices that require electrical engineering, software and firmware and I am painfully aware of all the bugs that occur in the final stages of product release testing and the unknown whims of regulatory approval groups. that cause endless delays. And maybe Tesla has phenomenal folks that can deliver as promised.....but I just have a feeling that the update we just got will be it for a while...

Last edited:
No....I was surprised....unpleasantly....as I ordered the car in September after test driving a car with autopilot (AP1) and PAYING for autopilot (no mention of future AP2 and all the disclaimers on availability), then I get the "good news" that my car will be equipped with AP2 hardware in late October so im like "wooohoo" and then at delivery november 19th I get told there is no autopilot WHATSOEVER until "sometime in December".

I find out on the way home that my rain sensing wipers dont work and when i go thru the manual it says "future update".
The next day I find out i have no auto headlights, as that too is a "future update" So basically a Toyota Corolla has more tech features if you call auto headlights and rain sensing wipers tech features, since they have been around for 10+ years) than my tesla.

Look, Im super happy that I have AP2 hardware, Tesla just should have been fair and delayed charging me the $2500 for Autopilot until it was actually installed in the car.

My Model 585D was delivered on June 2, 2015. I paid for the Autopilot software and it was not available until October 2015. The difference is that I knew it was going to be delayed. I traded the car in for the AP2 hardware and again I knew it would be delayed until the end of December.

You situation is different in that you were not told that getting the AP2 car, it would not come with the Autopilot, rain sensing wipers, TACC, and all of the other features that the AP1 cars have. The good news for you is that many Tesla owners got their new Model S a week or so before you and they got the AP1 hardware. We all know how quickly technology changes. I am sure that they will offer the 100KW battery early next year and I will not have the opportunity to get that option. No big deal, the 90D has 24 miles more range than my 85D had.

The Model S is the best, most amazing car I have ever owned. I am looking forward to getting the new car hopefully before the end of the year with all of the AP1 features. We will all then have to patiently wait for the AP2 software to be delivered. I am sure that we will get frequent updates until fully autonomous driving is available.