Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm impatiently waiting for V11 so I was finding it frustrating that we were getting loads of seemingly benign updates, but it seems that there are possibly some bigger improvements being tested and revised in the background so I'm keeping up-to-date since I figure it'll be feeding back potentially useful data for whatever is being worked on.

I'm happy that I have a car that has software that's improving over time, slowly perhaps, but improving nonetheless. The 'move fast and break things' motto isn't the best when you're updating software on a fleet of a few million vehicles, each weighing several thousand kilograms, that can travel at over a hundred kph, and can kill you and others in an instant.

When there are no release notes to speak of i think even Tesla considers them inconsequential. How many cold weather bug fixes does one need especially when one lives in a climate where there are 5 to 10 cold days in a year😄
no, it's just that not everything is put into release notes. Everyone would prefer to see the details of course. Yet, no, Tesla doesn't consider the updates inconsequential either. ;) Just like assuming the climate updates are just for areas where it is cold 5 to 10 days in a year. You know it is always winter somewhere in the world where Tesla sells cars.

Reactions: AlexHung
Nah, I'm still on 2020.48.12.1. Now I'm getting messages warning me that my Netflix, Hulu, etc. isn't going to work soon due to changes in those services. Nice try, Tesla. My driving GUI is far more important to me than the entertainment system. I'll keep waiting until an update comes out that doesn't have the crappy new GUI.
I had a little bit of a shock at first, but it's not all that bad after maybe a week. I'd like to think other under the hood improvements outweigh the little UI change.

Reactions: nightowl
Nah, I'm still on 2020.48.12.1. Now I'm getting messages warning me that my Netflix, Hulu, etc. isn't going to work soon due to changes in those services. Nice try, Tesla. My driving GUI is far more important to me than the entertainment system. I'll keep waiting until an update comes out that doesn't have the crappy new GUI.

You will probably be waiting a while (which is totally up to you). If they were going to appreciably change the UI "back to what it was" they would have done so.

Of course, there were model S drivers who drove on UIs which were full versions behind, not just point releases, so if you dont care about that stuff, thats up to you. Humans are adaptable. If you installed the UI, it would likely bother you for a couple weeks tops, then you wouldnt care anymore.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I suspect the key issue here is that the maintenance releases don't offer transparency of what they're fixing, no matter of how minor they may be. Personally I'd rather have visibility of the detail so I know if it's resolving a bug-bare for me, and I don't mind if it installs and it isn't (so long as something else isn't broken).
It could also be a bit of a marketing strategy. The minor releases may be dribbling out to reassure us that they are still fixing things while working on new capability i.e. V11.

Reactions: DanCar
I have received 2 that is two updates this year. I keep reading about all the new features but my lowly 2019 M3DM apparently does not qualify. It is getting really frustrating. And as for the Fsd beta, I am beginning to think it is an advertising ploy. Surely there is some part of it that could filter down to regular cars. It wss supposed to be available.in late 2020, then early 2021, now.there is no forecast of any date. But it looks like.something in 2022 is really the earliest but I seriously doubt it. I bought my car for its safety features. Not just the ones it had but what was supposed to be coming. But apparently, my super duper 3 computer is not going to be enough to add the fsd to it. I am 76 and I bought the car to be able to continue to drive as I got older. Unless they get their thumb out of their ass I doubt if it will really help me

Reactions: mf68859
I have received 2 that is two updates this year.
Only 2?? I've received 8 this year:

2021 Updates.JPG

I suspect the key issue here is that the maintenance releases don't offer transparency of what they're fixing, no matter of how minor they may be. Personally I'd rather have visibility of the detail so I know if it's resolving a bug-bare for me, and I don't mind if it installs and it isn't (so long as something else isn't broken).
It could also be a bit of a marketing strategy. The minor releases may be dribbling out to reassure us that they are still fixing things while working on new capability i.e. V11.
I seriously doubt they are rolling out empty releases as a marketing strategy. I also don't expect them to be 100% transparent nor should they. Many of these minor fixes likely correct errors/issues in AP. Release notes can't say, "Fixes radar problem that enabled rear end collision", or "Fixes understeer that would cause exit of the roadway". Obviously I'm exaggerating the wording, but any obvious admission of error/issue (even if spun positively) would be field day for the press.