Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest software update is listed as 2019.40.50.1. I've installed the latest update I've received, but on the Tesla app it's listed as 2019.40.2.4. Are these the same, or am I missing something?
Updates are rolled out gradually, it is normal to be a version or two behind the latest. As long as the app is able to connect to your car, the version listed in your Tesla app is the version you currently have installed. To get an approximate picture of when updates roll out, check out teslafi.com/firmware. To check if an update is available for your car, open the Software tab in the settings menu in the car and wait for the update check to finish - you'll see a message saying that your car is up to date or that an update is available. Finally, if you'd like to get the updates sooner, make sure you have the Advances option selected on the Software tab in the settings menu in the car.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200 and drip
The latest software update is listed as 2019.40.50.1. I've installed the latest update I've received, but on the Tesla app it's listed as 2019.40.2.4. Are these the same, or am I missing something?

Must be new.
Your car will NOT get every update. You will NEVER get an update as someone reports it on the forums.
You will ONLY get the updates that are advertised to your car, whenever it is offered to your car. This can sometimes take days or weeks.

Chill

Updates are rolled out gradually, it is normal to be a version or two behind the latest. As long as the app is able to connect to your car, the version listed in your Tesla app is the version you currently have installed. To get an approximate picture of when updates roll out, check out teslafi.com/firmware. To check if an update is available for your car, open the Software tab in the settings menu in the car and wait for the update check to finish - you'll see a message saying that your car is up to date or that an update is available. Finally, if you'd like to get the updates sooner, make sure you have the Advances option selected on the Software tab in the settings menu in the car.

ilyak,
Thanks for the information. I looked at the web page you suggested. If I am interpreting things correctly, 2019.40.2.4 is the second or third most recent update with 2019.40.50.1 being the most recent. The bar graph on the page for "Contributing Vehicles" appears to list only 7 with the 2019.40.2.4 update. It seems unlikely that I am one of just 7, so I must not be understanding something. Any further enlightenment would be welcome.

According to the Stats app 33.3% of cars are still on 2019.40.2.1 and 40.2% have now been updated to 2019.40.50.1. Updates for individual cars happen when it happens, meaning hard to predict who get updates first, last........Now as for 2019.40.2.4, I don't think many people ever got that one. I went right from 40.2.1 to 40.50.1...........

ilyak,
Thanks for the information. I looked at the web page you suggested. If I am interpreting things correctly, 2019.40.2.4 is the second or third most recent update with 2019.40.50.1 being the most recent. The bar graph on the page for "Contributing Vehicles" appears to list only 7 with the 2019.40.2.4 update. It seems unlikely that I am one of just 7, so I must not be understanding something. Any further enlightenment would be welcome.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
1. TeslaFi is a third party service, only a small subset of all Tesla vehicles are signed up for it. However, the number is large enough that you can use it to infer the general progress of a roll-out.
2. Look at the major version (in your case, .40.2), not a sub-version (40.2.4). We’re in a bit of a unique situation right now because a subversion has introduced new features, but the general idea is that Tesla will release a new set of features and then follow up with several bug fix updates that focus on polishing the software. If you add up various sub-versions of .40.2, yours see that some 30% of cars are still on this version.

Hi Steve,

I might be able to help a bit here...
TeslaFi is a subscription service.
It's relatively inexpensive at $50 per year.
All may look at the statistics you saw without being a subscriber.

If you are not a subscriber your numbers are not included on the totals...
The only way TeslaFi counts your information as a subscriber is to have some tokens
that work with Tesla.

I find the service to be valuable.
It will tell you many things about your car and its energy usage.
It's worth a look.
I think they offer a 30 day free trial...

Good luck,

Shawn

According to the Stats app 33.3% of cars are still on 2019.40.2.1 and 40.2% have now been updated to 2019.40.50.1. Updates for individual cars happen when it happens, meaning hard to predict who get updates first, last........Now as for 2019.40.2.4, I don't think many people ever got that one. I went right from 40.2.1 to 40.50.1...........

Interesting, Thank you.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1. TeslaFi is a third party service, only a small subset of all Tesla vehicles are signed up for it. However, the number is large enough that you can use it to infer the general progress of a roll-out.
2. Look at the major version (in your case, .40.2), not a sub-version (40.2.4). We’re in a bit of a unique situation right now because a subversion has introduced new features, but the general idea is that Tesla will release a new set of features and then follow up with several bug fix updates that focus on polishing the software. If you add up various sub-versions of .40.2, yours see that some 30% of cars are still on this version.

That helps. Thanks.

Hi Steve,

I might be able to help a bit here...
TeslaFi is a subscription service.
It's relatively inexpensive at $50 per year.
All may look at the statistics you saw without being a subscriber.

If you are not a subscriber your numbers are not included on the totals...
The only way TeslaFi counts your information as a subscriber is to have some tokens
that work with Tesla.

I find the service to be valuable.
It will tell you many things about your car and its energy usage.
It's worth a look.
I think they offer a 30 day free trial...

Good luck,

Shawn

That helps clear things up. Thanks.