Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 2018.50.6 - No new features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto lane change seems to have become much worse for me. The past two days I’ve had multiple hesitations when my 3 was doing an auto lane change. It would start changing lanes and then think there was a car or other obstacle in the way when there wasn’t anything at all and it would ping pong back between the lane I was currently in and the lane I was trying to change to. After the third attempt it made to change lanes I got frustrated and took over control. I’ve never experienced so many issues with auto lane change before. After each incident I submitted a bug report.

You’re not alone. Hope they’ll address this with the next release.

Reactions: Richt
Auto lane change seems to have become much worse for me. The past two days I’ve had multiple hesitations when my 3 was doing an auto lane change. It would start changing lanes and then think there was a car or other obstacle in the way when there wasn’t anything at all and it would ping pong back between the lane I was currently in and the lane I was trying to change to. After the third attempt it made to change lanes I got frustrated and took over control. I’ve never experienced so many issues with auto lane change before. After each incident I submitted a bug report.

Strange, with my limited testing it seems to have only gotten more reliable and somewhat more snappy (if the lane is clear, the lane change begins almost immediately). I had a pretty high number of aborted lane changes on NoA with 48.12.1, but with this version I saw just 1 on my last couple of freeway runs. Of course, other things changed since then, such as the car had been washed, and lighting/traffic conditions were different.

It seems that they changed the turn signal for auto lane change. Previously when you did an auto lane change the signal blinked for another 2 or 3 times after the lane change finished but now it stops blinking as soon as the lane change has completed.

• Informative
Reactions: Richt and GSP

Same for me, also put my blinker on and the car would never switch lanes that’s a first for me

I call this update, this thread, the 50.6 speculation thread. All of the things mentioned by the posters in the 6 pages before this... haven’t changed for me. My HVAC power on/off function still works the same, wake up time is the same, frunk and trunk respond the same, cold weather response seems to be the same, my browser has been just as responsive - at least with Tesla WAZE, and on an on.

Tesla engineers, what ever they’ve done for this mod, might be chuckling at all our speculation and grasping for straws at what’s changed here... but I’m not sure any of us have found (definitively) what’s been been upgraded/improved.

But let’s keep sleuthing... at least until the next version update. ;)

Reactions: Perry and Deraillor

Autopilot in general has been a lot more problematic in this update. I've never really had issues with autopilot but in this release it'll detect items as being in the way that it never flagged on previously leading to random brake checks, not auto changing lanes when I confirm with the stalk. The worse has been driving through my neighborhood. It's never alerted to cars parked on the street and now it'll sometimes flash red and slam on the breaks when I drive the same as I always have through my neighborhood.

Hope they tighten things back up in the next release.

I call this update, this thread, the 50.6 speculation thread. All of the things mentioned by the posters in the 6 pages before this... haven’t changed for me. My HVAC power on/off function still works the same, wake up time is the same, frunk and trunk respond the same, cold weather response seems to be the same, my browser has been just as responsive - at least with Tesla WAZE, and on an on.

Tesla engineers, what ever they’ve done for this mod, might be chuckling at all our speculation and grasping for straws at what’s changed here... but I’m not sure any of us have found (definitively) what’s been been upgraded/improved.

But let’s keep sleuthing... at least until the next version update. ;)

it was never about browser responsiveness for me - it was about the reliability. More than often, the browser would fail to load anything until I reboot the MCU. After 50.6, in the past week, I've been able to open web pages each time I got into the car

it was never about browser responsiveness for me - it was about the reliability. More than often, the browser would fail to load anything until I reboot the MCU. After 50.6, in the past week, I've been able to open web pages each time I got into the car

I have seen others comment previously here (other version threads), that the browser loading woes seem to have been cured sometime after 48.x. Mine wouldn't load either prior to 48.x, but was cured with one of the 48 versions. Also lots of peeps commenting that just a simple reboot and/or version upgrade would often cure the browser (even if temporarily).

I believe the larger point ibdb was trying to make was that, in all likelihood, a lot of “changes” people are noticing are most likely unrelated to this specific software upgrade. ; )

It’s human nature to assign cause to effect in a statistically imperfect way.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
Interesting that Tesla is still tweaking software release from the 2nd week of Dec....

No new versions released yet and we are in the 4th week of Jan...

Could allot of something big be just on the horizon?

I didn’t have a tesla this time last year so I only have one data point but my speculation would be that tech companies with customer facing products will frequently pause major releases for the holiday season, and resume in the first week of January, which is probably what Tesla did too.

Given the pattern of general releases being a bit delayed compared to the week number in the release version, I’d expect the next version to be like 2019.2 maybe released next week.

Last edited:
I believe the larger point ibdb was trying to make was...
Actually, that wasn't me. I really am having an issue with this firmware release that I had never seen before. o_O

I've gone through all the standard troubleshooting, plus a few bonus rounds that I've picked up since I first got our S 3.5 years ago, and can only assume that something in this specific release has created an issue that wasn't there before.

I will agree that some things are very situational and a result of a perceived difference when there could be any of a number of variables involved beyond the firmware. In my case, I have controlled for every other variable, and the firmware is the only thing left to explain the change in behavior.

I'm also having auto pilot inconsistencies. Lane changes will starting changing but abruptly turn back into original lane then when I change lanes again my turn blinker would be stuck. I've also encountered flickering headlights and black screen for 30 seconds upon entering vehicle for the first time on 50.6.