Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 2018.50.6 - No new features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice anything weird with the "miles left in the battery" main range estimator? The green battery symbol is the one I'm talking about.

I did a short trip to dry off my car after a wash and hit tripple digits in speed, for about 2 minutes. When I parked after the short 10 minute blast up the freeway I noticed my freshly charged battery at 245 miles showed just over 210 miles, think it was 215, so I lost 30 miles in about 10 minutes and maybe 15 miles. It seemed like more battery was consumed than I expected.

When I parked back at work, I decided not to recharge, since it was a short commute day. When I got back to the car there were 11 more miles in the battery. Its almost as if the main range estimator was downgrading the range based on my very high usage.

Anyone else notice this?
If that's the case than its great since the range shown never took into account how one drives. At least for me this has always been a problem since it would always overestimate the miles left by using only rated kwh/mile.

Reactions: Richt
Works fine with my S7 Edge. Do you have the Tesla icon on your notification? Sometimes when there is an app update, I will need to open the app one time so the Tesla icon is back.
The App looked fine, and it still worked for the trunk and to start and drive the car. To unlock, I just swiped down on the part of the App that's always running and selected unlock there -- just like I had to lock the car (I don't have it lock automatically as I walk away).

Could you help with an explanation about Tesla Waze please. Are you streaming Waze from your cell or is there a way to use a Tesla ( S, X or 3 ) version of Waze? Love Waze & hope it can be used through our browsers.

Tesla Waze is Waze adapted to the Tesla browser. It is far from feature parity to Waze on a smartphone, but it is better than nothing.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Relayer
Oh I though I was the only one with this problem since no one ever complained. This needs a prompt fix since this was not a problem when I got the car.

I thought about this too, but then I thought if I can easily remove the charging cable by pressing the button then so can everyone else without a key to the car. I would not want anyone to do that to me, even as a joke. I have gotten used to simply opening the Tesla app and clicking on the car lock, it's fast and it does not have to wait to connect to the car like some of the other features. Just unlocks and wakes up the car. I use that every morning when the car is in deep sleep and i'm heading off to work and need to unplug the charger.

Oh I though I was the only one with this problem since no one ever complained. This needs a prompt fix since this was not a problem when I got the car.
There are several threads about this in the Charging sub-forum. Basically the car cannot detect the button on the charger handle when it is in sleep mode (which may be a hardware limitation that cannot be fixed by a software update). To make the button work you first need to wake up the car. Using a door handle is one way to do this, but you can also do it by opening the Tesla phone app or unlocking the car with a key fob or keycard. If you didn't encounter the issue earlier, it was very likely because the car happened to not be in sleep mode when you tried.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ibdb
Tesla Waze is Waze adapted to the Tesla browser. It is far from feature parity to Waze on a smartphone, but it is better than nothing.
This is mostly what I use the browser for. Occasionally radar, but mostly Waze.
And if I open it before I drive while it's connected to WiFi, it works the whole drive - even before the version updates which appear to have improved reliability.

• Informative
Reactions: kgclark
My wires go off when there is no rain streaking my window, then it is raining and they won't work so i have to keep piling the stick or set then to manual.

One of the wires things about the car for sure and It's not easy to anyway like it has been in cars done I was born...

Just got the update as well but I don't think the wipers will ever be good if they thought they could do this with cameras instead of tried and trued sensors.

Maybe there is an auto pilot update in there somewhere?

Iook forward to the day I can remove the charger from the car without messing with the door handle.
A confirmed workaround for the charge cable not releasing immediately is to press and HOLD the button on the charging cable for a second or so. Doing that, it has never failed to release the latch within a second in my experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Auto lane change seems to have become much worse for me. The past two days I’ve had multiple hesitations when my 3 was doing an auto lane change. It would start changing lanes and then think there was a car or other obstacle in the way when there wasn’t anything at all and it would ping pong back between the lane I was currently in and the lane I was trying to change to. After the third attempt it made to change lanes I got frustrated and took over control. I’ve never experienced so many issues with auto lane change before. After each incident I submitted a bug report.

A confirmed workaround for the charge cable not releasing immediately is to press and HOLD the button on the charging cable for a second or so. Doing that, it has never failed to release the latch within a second in my experience.
That's never worked for me at any point during the last 4 months.

I'm using the cable that came with my S, since it charges slightly faster than the one delivered with the 3. Since we're using one cable for both cars, I opted for the slightly faster of the two.

Installed 2018.50.6 4ec03ed last night. Today I discovered that the car will not unlock for me when I approach it with my phone -- something that has worked 100% of the time for me from the time of purchase up through today. Thought once might be a fluke and the car might be slow to wake until it happened a second time. Ran through a few scenarios at home and it was consistent.

I rebooted after the update, and again after I noticed the problem. I've had the car for 4 months now, and never had an issue with unlock on approach until today. The trunk still unlocks for me when I approach with my phone in my pocket or in my hand, but none of the doors do. The screen flashes for me to hold my key card to the door to unlock the car if I try to open the door. I can manually unlock the door from my phone, and I have no problem with the car recognizing the phone to drive.

Anyone else? Samsung Galaxy S8.
Stranger things.

Four family members (including me) were getting into the car today. Driver's door did not unlock on approach, as I'd been seeing. Started to reach for my phone and one of my kids tried opening the driver's side rear door, and it worked. All the doors were then unlocked, and I never got the phone out of my pocket.

Got home tonight and tried to replicate the experience. At home, the driver's side doors were not unlocking on approach, no matter what I tried. If I tried the passenger's side, they didn't work immediately, but did unlock the entire car after trying each door at least twice. I did all kinds of strange moves to try to have my phone in my pocket in similar positions relative to the car on both sides.

Phone hasn't changed. Phone software hasn't changed. The only thing that changed was the update to the Model 3 firmware.