Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software versions for Powerwall 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah ok, without solar it would make sense that you wouldn't charge when you're above your reserve. Ironically, with solar you would charge faster if you're above your reserve if the solar is producing over 3.4 kW.
Yes ok for no-solar this strategy works (self consumption with reserve=current SOE min 100 max 10 for safeguarding).

it will park at the next percentile point (so it may take a fraction of percent of discharge before it gets parked there) but after that it neither charges nor discharges and the app shows "standby" with partial charge. My understanding it would also support grid loss in that mode as well, which makes it indefinitely more useful for me than the complete stop api.

I'm actually running a service on my FreeNAS box. I'm using IFTTT instead of cron, though, because I also want to switch for OhmHours and OhmConnect has an IFTTT trigger. I may switch to cron for the scheduled part because I think I want to make a more complicated schedule and doing it on IFTTT is cumbersome.

• Helpful
Reactions: dlieu
So just same day as I set it up I got it enabled .. Irony (still on 0.15.0)

PS and now it also charges from grid at rates > 3.3kw per 2.. it started to charge at 10kw and then continued at 7kw sustained.

Hm... tesla, what did you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: NuShrike
Maybe, to enter stand-by, i need to read the soe and then switch to self_consumption/<current-soe-read>
That's exactly what you need to do.

upload_2018-4-3_21-32-18.png

You can see switching to charge in the early hours of the morning, followed by switching to standby until 2am, and switching to standby again a little after 5am. Blue is flow to/from the PW, and pink is grid. When switched to standby by setting backup percentage to current state of charge, flow to the PW stops in both directions. WIth solar, though, it will then start charging when solar exceed load.

• Informative
Reactions: dlieu
Precisely, there's no reason to choose to. [But if you are claiming the ITC, then SGIP forces you to apply as paired storage.] Unless you want priority in the event of a lottery, that is the one benefit I could find. Those who applied in Step 1 as paired storage are presumably glad they did so, since Step 1 had a lottery.

Note that none of the language from the SGIP handbook you quoted says "if you have solar, you must pair your energy storage from solar and charge the energy storage at least 75% from solar."

I applied for SGIP as my own developer (see the SGIP thread), and I simply indicated on my application that while I have solar, I'm not planning to charge 75% or more from solar.

Cheers, Wayne
Hey Wayne, I think you forgot I also became SGIP developer just before you did on that thread. ^_^

Meantime, I checked with SCE's SGIP administrator and yes we're not required to pair storage with the renewable generator on the same site, if they understood my question. It can be standalone as long as it is "capable of discharging fully at least once per day."

Then my misunderstanding may stem from utilities / installers auto-pairing when they could be stand-alone. Which of course begs the question why would anybody want to pair (even without taking ITC). Grid-charging arbitrage has more value. This doesn't sound like SGIP's intention as it puts more load on the grid.

I think you forgot I also became SGIP developer just before you did on that thread.
Yes, sorry, I didn't make the connection.

This doesn't sound like SGIP's intention as it puts more load on the grid.
Well, I'm not sure I agree. If retail power rates accurately reflected the marginal cost of generation and transmission of energy, then rate arbitrage would help the grid as it shifts demand from more expensive times to less expensive times.

Of course, the regulatory system we have for retail residential power rates responds far too slowly for the power rates to accurately reflect the marginal costs. So to the extent that I will be able to engage in rate arbitrage, my intention is to also check the ISO duck curve periodically and adjust the timing of my rate arbitrage to be a net generator during periods of high net demand on the grid.

Cheers, Wayne

Tesla offered to setup a whole house backup with only one powerwall 2? I was told you need at least two powerwalls to do whole house backup.
It might depend on your appliances. If one has an electric dryer or water heater, two Powerwalls would probably be required. Maybe @Mickey Mouse has all gas appliances?

We were also told we needed at least two Powerwalls. We have an induction range and electric dryer as well as the 14-50 outlets for charging.

My PW2 gateway has been on firmware 1.15.0 for a while. This morning the Tesla app in my Android phone received an update (to version 3.3.6 aa790933e) and I started seeing the "Advanced - Time-Based Control" option in the app! The Energy Usage page also is touched with Peak and Off-peak indicators. Awesome.

upload_2018-5-4_20-5-23.png

upload_2018-5-4_19-58-59.png

After playing it for a while and I set it to "Cost Saving" to see how it will do to the night. But later when I came back to the app, weird enough, I couldn't find the "Advanced - Time-Based Control" any more.

upload_2018-5-4_20-2-43.png

After playing it for a while and I set it to "Cost Saving" to see how it will do to the night. But later when I came back to the app, weird enough, I couldn't find the "Advanced - Time-Based Control" any more.

In the first week after I had the TBC settings appear, I had those settings disappear temporarily. I assume it was just the app behaving weirdly, or a caching issue or something.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
I just received my price offer ( DocuSign ) from Tesla today and yes they wanted to install 2 powerwalls for a whole home backup so I elected to go with a partial backup system to lower my price, my only concern is that they want to charge me over 2700$ for the install , I already have a brand new main service panel connected to my solar panels so I’m a little confused as to the installation price that is quoted to me. Any suggestions out there about this would be appreciated

The install price depends upon some key variables:
1) Cost for permits (varies by location)
2) Did you select hidden conduit (i.e. they have to open your walls, run conduit, patch your walls, paint, etc.)
3) Number of circuits - it's a LOT of manpower to move all of (or in your case) part of the circuits from the main breaker to their load center
4) Equipment - you are paying not just for PWs, but also for the load center and breaker boxes, wire, conduit, etc. etc.

For reference, we did a whole-house backup with 3 PW2s, and we had 3 electricians on site for 3 full days, then 2 additional guys for 3 days after that patching up walls, etc.

My PW2 gateway has been on firmware 1.15.0 for a while. This morning the Tesla app in my Android phone received an update (to version 3.3.6 aa790933e) and I started seeing the "Advanced - Time-Based Control" option in the app! The Energy Usage page also is touched with Peak and Off-peak indicators. Awesome.

View attachment 298893

View attachment 298889

View attachment 298890
I've been on 1.15.1 and Android 3.3.6 and I'm still waiting for TBC. I emailed powerwallsupportna and they said it's out of testing phase and being rolled out, just being done in batches. I'm ready for my time to come up :).

2) Did you select hidden conduit (i.e. they have to open your walls, run conduit, patch your walls, paint, etc.)

I elected exposed conduits and the gateway is close to the main service panel that’s all they (TA) and asserser asked of me

Hmm. When were you asked about conduit? I don't think they ever asked us! I expect we'll have exposed conduit on the side of the house but didn't really expect it in the garage since we recently finished it and there's really nothing exposed currently.

Hmm. When were you asked about conduit? I don't think they ever asked us! I expect we'll have exposed conduit on the side of the house but didn't really expect it in the garage since we recently finished it and there's really nothing exposed currently.

During the sales process. New house, so we paid an extra 1k in install costs to have the conduit run in the walls. At least as much as possible - they still had to run some large 2" external conduit in one place, but given that the 3 x PW2s are about 45 feet from the main power entry point of the house, I am happy overall.

During the sales process. New house, so we paid an extra 1k in install costs to have the conduit run in the walls. At least as much as possible - they still had to run some large 2" external conduit in one place, but given that the 3 x PW2s are about 45 feet from the main power entry point of the house, I am happy overall.
Hmm. I'll have to double-check but am 99.9% sure they never brought this up. Most of the discussion so far as been about the solar panels and not much about the Powerwalls.

Hmm. I'll have to double-check but am 99.9% sure they never brought this up. Most of the discussion so far as been about the solar panels and not much about the Powerwalls.

Squeaky wheel man. If they are selling you solar too, I would negotiate in "hidden conduit" for all of it. My neighbor did not, and now he's a tad miffed everytime he comes over to the man cave and hangs out.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker