Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software versions for Powerwall 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like it! / Just a shout out to PG&E customers. PG&E doesn't change their billing clocks from standard time to daylight savings until 2nd Sunday in April. For month of March, recommend setting off-peak to midnight to 8AM. It be nice if the Tesla can account for this, so it is truly "set and forget." This bi-annual time change happens four (4) times as a PG&E ToU customer.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
I'm sorry if this makes anyone slightly jealous but I just opened the Tesla app and saw this power flow. So flipping cool! Had to share!

Screenshot_20180320-143811.png

Just got Powerwall2 installed here in the UK and it’s on 1.15 with no TOU.

I was told by the installer that TOU firmware was available but is that something that might download to it now it’s online?

V keen as Octopus Energy here have just released their ‘Agile’ tariff with variable billing in 30 min slots throughout the day. Using PW2 with TOU + solar shd allow some nifty energy management.

This is what it should look like...sorry about the confusion. Cool to finally be able to program the powerwall!

View attachment 287942

Awesome! Thank you for the screenshots!

However I wonder if it is also some form of attrition to the equipments (to the electrons for sure), if the electrons stored in the battery came from solar and their values remain unchanged? :)

Last edited:
I literally said the same thing to myself this morning when i looked at the app. I think if that was the case it wouldn't be eligible for SGIP from what I understand. But maybe one day!
It would qualify for SGIP. SGIP requirement is only that you store energy (i.e. store/generate energy)--hence the requirement to cycle the battery x number of times or x about of kw in a year. ITC is the one that requires you to only charge from solar.

I believe if I was able to charge from the grid, the TOU arbitrage benefit would be greater than the ITC benefit.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I called Tesla support, and they confirmed that the functionality is there, but they are activating it for customers in phases, independently of the software updates. Apparently every week there will be more, and assuming no major issues it'll likely be activated for all users by the middle of next month.

The capability is there for scripting this functionality from computers via REST API calls, but I don't recommend it unless you have experience using them.

It appears that many of the people who posted in this thread recently are on PG&E. My understanding is that their application for the battery interconnect must specify whether there will be ANY grid charging or not. Most likely, Powerwall installs that have on-site solar will not include grid charging and will also dis-allow discharging into the grid from the batteries. If you want to charge from the grid, you should definitely read your interconnect agreement and see what it says before you ask Tesla to enable it.

Personally, I feel like PG&E is intrinsically opposed to allowing people to arbitrage from the grid while simultaneously selling all their solar into the grid for NEM credit.

• Informative
Reactions: Bigtanuki
It appears that many of the people who posted in this thread recently are on PG&E. My understanding is that their application for the battery interconnect must specify whether there will be ANY grid charging or not. Most likely, Powerwall installs that have on-site solar will not include grid charging and will also dis-allow discharging into the grid from the batteries. If you want to charge from the grid, you should definitely read your interconnect agreement and see what it says before you ask Tesla to enable it.

Personally, I feel like PG&E is intrinsically opposed to allowing people to arbitrage from the grid while simultaneously selling all their solar into the grid for NEM credit.
I just re-read my interconnect agreement and it makes no mention of no charging from the grid. Can you help provide some details of where you see that? I only recall specifying to Tesla that I would not be taking the ITC credit.

I just re-read my interconnect agreement and it makes no mention of no charging from the grid. Can you help provide some details of where you see that? I only recall specifying to Tesla that I would not be taking the ITC credit.
If your interconnect agreement doesn't talk about charging from the grid, that's good. I have not received my interconnection documents yet.

I found the document below and it clearly talks about Charging Operational Modes. However, it is not clear to me if the document applies to small Residential systems.
Guide to Energy Storage Charging Issues

Also, it appears to me that the NEM Multiple Tariff would apply. Appendix I (the last page of the linked PDF) of the NEM-MT Interconnection Agreement also shows possible limitations on the charging functions of the Energy Storage Devices. Perhaps the 1.7kW per PowerWall grid charging limitation observed by some people on the forum is a result of these limitations. Coincidentally, that is the charge rate required to fill a PowerWall during the 8 hour Off-Peak rate period on Schedule EV.

If your interconnect agreement doesn't talk about charging from the grid, that's good. I have not received my interconnection documents yet.

I found the document below and it clearly talks about Charging Operational Modes. However, it is not clear to me if the document applies to small Residential systems.
Guide to Energy Storage Charging Issues

Also, it appears to me that the NEM Multiple Tariff would apply. Appendix I (the last page of the linked PDF) of the NEM-MT Interconnection Agreement also shows possible limitations on the charging functions of the Energy Storage Devices. Perhaps the 1.7kW per PowerWall grid charging limitation observed by some people on the forum is a result of these limitations. Coincidentally, that is the charge rate required to fill a PowerWall during the 8 hour Off-Peak rate period on Schedule EV.
The guide that you link to actually specifies a use case where they allow charging—operational case 2. So they clearly have contemplated residential charging and how it impacts the grid.

The guide that you link to actually specifies a use case where they allow charging—operational case 2. So they clearly have contemplated residential charging and how it impacts the grid.
Clearly, the answer to whether PG&E ever allows grid charging of interconnected Energy Storage is YES. However, there may be cases where sites with on-site solar have applied on the basis that they will not do grid charging and the interconnection agreement would reflect that. If you later wanted to do it, you would theoretically have to amend your interconnection agreement and follow the new terms. Those terms would likely fall under the "will not increase peak demand" category. My peak demand is EV charging during the overnight hours and the Powerwall system cannot see those loads due to the way the CTs are placed in my installation. Therefore, I could not ensure that grid charging the batteries would not increase the peak kVA load on my service.