Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panel Installation/ CA HOA Approval Form?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, (new to solar here)

The solar panel designed just got sent to us in Tesla.com portal and since we belong to a HOA (small informal HOA, 3 units total), I was wondering if there's an "official form" to get the HOA signed and approved for? or Tesla will send me something from their end and I will be circling that to the HOA?

I've already talked to all the neighbors/HOA and they are all okay with it verbally, but just wondering what kind of form will need to send back to Tesla for this action item?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Unless something has changed, tesla does not need proof that you have permission from your HOA to install. The HOA approval is between you and your HOA. Tesla can help submit stuff to your HOA if they require some documentation etc.

Tesla did not need anything back from me saying I got HOA approval, but that was in 2015. I doubt its changed, though... the HOA stuff is the responsibility of the owner.

Reactions: lchen6
Unless something has changed, tesla does not need proof that you have permission from your HOA to install. The HOA approval is between you and your HOA. Tesla can help submit stuff to your HOA if they require some documentation etc.

Tesla did not need anything back from me saying I got HOA approval, but that was in 2015. I doubt its changed, though... the HOA stuff is the responsibility of the owner.
Got it, thank you. Very helpful. Our HOA is literary 3 units and all the owners/neighbors are pretty close to each other. They didn't have any objection when I brought this up to them.

This is the steps within the Tesla portal online showing:

1631724963390.png

1631724984322.png

1631724998170.png

Thats more formal than I remember, lol. Your neighbors / fellow HOA members may approve, but its likely that if you have a formal HOA there is a formal process for requesting changes and getting approvals. Check through your HOA CC&Rs (Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions) documentation, which you should have if you have a formal HOA.

There should be something in there about architectural approvals. In my specific case (for example) I needed to take a 1 page form around to my two neighbors and get their signature that I had informed them of this work. That was a document on my HOA side though, not something provided by tesla. Tesla couldnt provide any sort of HOA Document for you to take to your neighbors because all HOAs are different.

In addition to that HOA document, I had to submit the plans (design) to my HOA and wait for them to send me back and approval.

Your CCR document should spell out what you need to do, but its all on your side, not teslas.

Thats more formal than I remember, lol. Your neighbors / fellow HOA members may approve, but its likely that if you have a formal HOA there is a formal process for requesting changes and getting approvals. Check through your HOA CC&Rs (Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions) documentation, which you should have if you have a formal HOA.

There should be something in there about architectural approvals. In my specific case (for example) I needed to take a 1 page form around to my two neighbors and get their signature that I had informed them of this work. That was a document on my HOA side though, not something provided by tesla. Tesla couldnt provide any sort of HOA Document for you to take to your neighbors because all HOAs are different.

In addition to that HOA document, I had to submit the plans (design) to my HOA and wait for them to send me back and approval.

Your CCR document should spell out what you need to do, but its all on your side, not teslas.
Ok, great. Thanks again much appreciated it. I'm aligned this is on our side (HOA side) and not Tesla.

Our HOA is somewhat informal due to the size (We may have to make something up or research up a template for this 1 page form online and having 2 rest of the owners signed and send it back to Tesla.) I asked the HOA manager (the lady next to my unit) she said we don't have anything like that and just been keeping a consistent bank account balance and paying the shared bills.

We ordered 1/2020 with install in 8-9/2020 (PTO end 10/2020). We are in an HOA and it was required. Tesla asked for it before installers would be scheduled and sure the city required it as well as our HOA. Contact who ever is president of your little HOA. Sonething will need to be in writing signed by “the Board” granting approval. Larger HOA boards have kind of standard forms. I can see if I can find a blank one our HOA used that you can modify if you think it helps. PM me if so.

Welcome soon to the solar fold. BTW are you only adding solar and no battery back up? If so and being new to this, are you aware that if you have a power outage that your solar stops providing power to your house? For outages you’ll need to add battery back up for the most part. Not everyone realizes this, so thought worth bringing up.

Last edited:
Reactions: jboy210 and lchen6
it sounds like your hoa doesn't have a form, so send them the permitted plans along with a cover letter asking for permission to proceed. i think law allows them 30 days.
My HOA did not have a form. I sent them a request in writing. The time to respond used to be 60 days and was reduced to 45 days in 2014. My HOA did not respond in the required time frame and I proceeded without their approval. When they tried to stop me I reminded them of the California Solar Rights Act and the fact that they might be subject to a fine if they wanted to press the issue.

The latest push back from them is if you live in a "HOA" condo or townhome. They can't be sure if you or the HOA owns the roof, and because of that you won't be able to do the "loan" option. Only way is to pay cash in FULL.

The latest push back from them is if you live in a "HOA" condo or townhome. They can't be sure if you or the HOA owns the roof, and because of that you won't be able to do the "loan" option. Only way is to pay cash in FULL.

I would imagine the HOA can produce something on their letterhead to give Tesla confidence who owns the roof. The HOA would definitely know if they own the roof since they'd have to get insurance on the roof if they owned it.

It may depend on the nature of the project. If it is a townhome in which the homeowner owns the lot and the structure the homeowner could own the roof but the HOA may be responsible for maintenance of the roof. That was the case in my situation. The HOA wanted me to sign an indemnity agreement and I did have to remove and replace the panels when that building of 5 townhomes was reroofed.
A true condominium which may be several stories with condos on top of each other may have a roof that is owned by the HOA.