Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
first full month with the battery - £23.30. About £13 of that is the blooming standing charge so a tenner for the electric isn’t bad. 31kwh for 31 days so averages to a kwh per day. I still think thats a little high if most of it is ‘inverter lag’ but there will have been some spikes for high loads being on etc but only for a few minutes.
I'm similar after a full month - £18.75 electricity (compared to £135 the month before) and gas cheaper as I moved some hot water heating to the immersion heater.

The diminishing returns of a second battery just don't stack up though. Maybe my £5 of actual electricity usage goes down to £2 - the rest would be taken from the grid no matter how much battery storage I had because a couple of rings on the hob and the oven on and you are well over what the inverter can supply. Then in winter my 4 hour cheap rate period isn't long enough to charge two batteries.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I'm similar after a full month - £18.75 electricity (compared to £135 the month before) and gas cheaper as I moved some hot water heating to the immersion heater.

The diminishing returns of a second battery just don't stack up though. Maybe my £5 of actual electricity usage goes down to £2 - the rest would be taken from the grid no matter how much battery storage I had because a couple of rings on the hob and the oven on and you are well over what the inverter can supply. Then in winter my 4 hour cheap rate period isn't long enough to charge two batteries.
£50 for last month for me, including some over night charging from the start of may. Daily seeing costs of about 80p to £1 just now (60p standing charge), which is mostly what I would call arbitrage - the grid covering the 10s it takes the battery to ramp up to cover something like a kettle getting turned on. A second battery wouldn't help that, but a faster one would.

Our pure drive is actually a victron under the hood, but it uses the main connection. There is a secondary output on what would logically be the far side of the battery that is called 'critical loads' - these can carry on working in a power cut etc, and I presume can react much faster. Unfortunately this tops out at 25 amps. Plenty for a kettle, but not a kettle and a toaster which are in the same double socket and often used at the same time.

Ideally it would need connected up to fridges, freezers, servers and lights, but we didn't design the kitchen/utility with split rings ☹️. Will work it out one day.

My 2x PowerWalls charge in under 4 hours (provided no other significant load in use - if so they throttle back to draw less power)
Yes, that's one of the differences/advantages of Powerwall vs GivEnergy. Your two Powerwalls charge in parallel, whereas the single GivEnergy hybrid inverter only provides 3.3 kW charge to the batteries which essentially charge in series.

Obviously I could install a second inverter with the second battery but that is yet more expense that would be difficult to get any return on.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Yes, that's one of the differences/advantages of Powerwall vs GivEnergy. Your two Powerwalls charge in parallel, whereas the single GivEnergy hybrid inverter only provides 3.3 kW charge to the batteries which essentially charge in series.

Obviously I could install a second inverter with the second battery but that is yet more expense that would be difficult to get any return on.

and they’d fight so not worth it.

the new givenergy AIO can charge at 6kw and discharge at 6 (peaking to 7.2) so similar to the powerwall. But not helpful to those of us already installed with older givenergy. Maybe I can sell mine to my old man ;)

When I got my first Powerwall 2 & Gateway 2 (£8500 fitted in Oct 2020) ... it only charged at 3.3kW at the time. Discharged at 5kW.

I had to monitor what we used during a blackout to keep us below 5kW.

Started out as a basic setup. No Solar, No 3-Phase, No Smart Meters, No Ev Dual Rate Tariffs, No Car Charging, No Heat Pump, No 'all electric home'

This is how I started.

Screenshot_20201007-154423_Tesla.jpg

It’s 3.6kW charge rate per 5.0kW hybrid inverter isn’t it? (gen2 and Gen 3) - so two would give you 7.2kW nominal charge/ discharge(?) rate. Plus a bit extra for peak startup. Can fill them in under 5.5 hours on IO.

But maybe, as you say, it’s not viable for your set up?

It’s 3.6kW charge rate per 5.0kW hybrid inverter isn’t it? (gen2 and Gen 3) - so two would give you 7.2kW nominal charge/ discharge(?) rate. Plus a bit extra for peak startup. Can fill them in under 5.5 hours on IO.

But maybe, as you say, it’s not viable for your set up?

Two will have issues fighting each other for excess and nicking each others charge

If you need more than 3.6kw (might be 3 for charge?) then get an all in one whihc runs then in parallel like the power wall

This made me start thinking. I have one Powerwall 2 and have been keen to buy a second or third to take me longer off grid. Getting one at a sensible price is impossible....I may have died before it was actually delivered, lol. So I am thinking of getting rid of the Powerwall and installing a large libbi say a 20 or something similar from GivEnergy.
Does anyone know if there is a market for a 3 year old Powerwall?

This made me start thinking. I have one Powerwall 2 and have been keen to buy a second or third to take me longer off grid. Getting one at a sensible price is impossible....I may have died before it was actually delivered, lol. So I am thinking of getting rid of the Powerwall and installing a large libbi say a 20 or something similar from GivEnergy.
Does anyone know if there is a market for a 3 year old Powerwall?
Mind you, there is only a 5 month lead-time on powerwalls at the moment but that might depend on who you ask. and to bare in mind that it will probably take a few weeks for your DNO application. I ordered in November and was told circa 12 months but am having it installed this week.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro