Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8.2 states 100% Dod. Only the 5.2 and 2.6 say 80%? I'd double check though. Might go for the 9.5 just for symmetry :p

tricky as my octopus is 13th-12th for billing, and the givenergy/myenergi dashboards are calendar months so I don't have a full one yet. I can estimate from weekly.. hold on

last four weeks, most recent at top. The bottom entry is a bit odd I had an issue with the battery which needed resetting remotely so perhaps ignore that one

View attachment 946118
Depending if you have the Gen1 or Gen2 Hybrid Inverter, you're limited to 2.6 or 3.6kw charge speeds. 2 x 9.5 won't fit in the 4hr window of octopus go.
I'm pondering adding another 5kwh to my 9.5kwh for that reason. Or might end up with a Giv AIO (which is cracking value) if I can get DNO approval

Reactions: Mrklaw
Depending if you have the Gen1 or Gen2 Hybrid Inverter, you're limited to 2.6 or 3.6kw charge speeds. 2 x 9.5 won't fit in the 4hr window of octopus go.
I'm pondering adding another 5kwh to my 9.5kwh for that reason. Or might end up with a Giv AIO (which is cracking value) if I can get DNO approval

be wary you can’t seem to pair the existing ones with the AIO - agree it looks good value - which is a shame. I assume its doing the modules in parallel to get the higher charge/discharge so adding a single extra external battery wouldn’t work.

Nice. 👏

I’m thinking like this as an example which applies in your situation….

Might be worth an “insurance” cheap overnight charge. Maybe ‘50%’ ? Or whatever you might lose in generation or need to get to the next days sun up/ cheap window again.
20kW overnight “insurance” buffer charge will cost £1.5 on IO.
If it’s cloudy/thundery you’ve covered yourself at 7.5p/ kW. If not it’s stored in the battery “bank” for later.
If you generate over what you need, and battery ‘overflows’ you can dump it all in the car or export it at 4p. So even if you have to dump all of the excess to export; those 7.5p/kW you end up exporting will only cost you 3.5p/kW as an insurance policy.
So a 20kW “insurance” cheap overnight charge would (worst case) cost you 70p for the day. Less if you export less. Or nothing if you dump it in the car.
However if you have to buy all those 20kW at 42p then it’s an £8.40 cost.

The cost benefit of having a bit extra in reserve (even if you have to export it ALL) is massively skewed to having a bit extra and having to dump it in the car or export it back rather than having to buy at 42p.

If you get it wrong by importing too much, say 8 times a month it’s negligible (or max of £5.60), if you get it wrong and are short that’s £67 !

I think this will come into play a lot more in the shoulder months. Thoughts?

In other news… hopefully my install is happening within the next couple of weeks.
Yay 😁

Exactly how I do it... better to overcharge and spill it to the Grid (preferably the car)...

Don't want to ever be paying peak-rate Grid.

Reactions: Pete UK
My Solar system started misbehaving 11 days ago but I seem to have found a way to combat that until a fix or warranty replacement eventually happens......

Previously a day with full sun hitting around 4kWh peak would supply the house load & either charge the house batteries, charge one of our EVs or export to grid.

From 2nd June the inverter reports a grid voltage fault once PV generation/export hits somewhere around 2.5-2.9kWh and shuts down then resets ad-infinitum until later in the day when the sun drops back below this range after which everything runs normally. This is reducing potential FIT payments on sunny days by more than 60% which is rather annoying.

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 19.11.03.png

The inverter was checked by the installer on 8th June and the manufacturer has been informed. The DNO say there "is no grid voltage fluctuation" causing this. To date there is no update.

However, trying out various options to create an additional 2kWh load when needed seemed to keep the system alive so I have settled on charging via the Zappi at minimum 6a (using the Tesla app to start/stop or vary amperage) to slow down the charge.

Initially SOC was at 85% but to avoid filling the car I set climate to Low with a/c on, fan high and the time to completion then doubled but would still complete within a day - whereas I may need this for much more given the ongoing sunny weather.

By then adding Biodefence mode, SOC slowly drops, giving a variable reservoir that can be used each day (car display "charging +24h to reach set SOC"). The car has currently reached 66% and hasn't been driven for five days. My wife needs it on Wednesday so we have also been depleting the Fiat (which has a variable charge rate setting - level 2 draws just below 2kWh) & the second set of house batteries to near empty. I will charge both of these while the Tesla battery runs down to somewhere near 30% on its journey.

Thereafter until a solution is found I will continue to use Tesla variable amperage, climate, fan and Biodefence mode whenever the car isn't needed or we can use the Fiat in its place.

As a result, the system is generating correctly & the connected batteries are filling & carrying us through the evening/night as normal. The Tesla has proved extremely useful and flexible in giving this temporary fix during the middle of high generation days.

be wary you can’t seem to pair the existing ones with the AIO - agree it looks good value - which is a shame. I assume its doing the modules in parallel to get the higher charge/discharge so adding a single extra external battery wouldn’t work.
Give seemed reasonably confident that the AIO would pair reasonably well with a hybrid inverter. The hybrid doing high efficency battery storage from the Solar, the AIO being more grid tied storage with the option to store from the Solar.

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

YES. Enjoy the Summer Sun folks.

End.
Yes, definitely worth it, I'm on IO, and so far my bill for 11 days is £5.47. I should have switched to Agile with a lower standing charge as it would have saved me 65p so far this month.

Solar has provided all power for my driving, hot water and power to our property, including power for the air-con that keeps me cool. We have no gas.:)

Reactions: PITA
6kw max export - anything over you apply again. What is the kwp of your solar array?

I think you can set powerwalls to export limit and that is one of the few certified by DNOs - so would that mean you could add as much as you like as long as you define no more than 6kw goes out to the grid?
our DNO assumes the PW can export at 3.6kW or 5kW even if set to zero, so the 6kW calculation is 5kW for the PW and 1kW for the solar.

Reactions: Js1977
our DNO assumes the PW can export at 3.6kW or 5kW even if set to zero, so the 6kW calculation is 5kW for the PW and 1kW for the solar.

thats really stupid. Why would you force discharge other than perhaps a calibration cycle. The PW even has specific settings to prevent it I thought? Shouldn’t that be equivalent to export limitation in some inverters and be enough for DNO?

Reactions: scdoubleu
Give seemed reasonably confident that the AIO would pair reasonably well with a hybrid inverter. The hybrid doing high efficency battery storage from the Solar, the AIO being more grid tied storage with the option to store from the Solar.
The problem with AC coupled batteries working with hybrid inverters is that they tend to just drain the DC batteries. Hybrid inverters hide the DC batteries to the AC system and make it look like it's solar. So the AC ones will merrily charge away from them.

I'm not saying you can't get around it but unsure how (CT clamps probably don't work on DC), as was something I was looking at while waiting for Powerwall install (also AC batteries).

thats really stupid. Why would you force discharge other than perhaps a calibration cycle. The PW even has specific settings to prevent it I thought? Shouldn’t that be equivalent to export limitation in some inverters and be enough for DNO?
Their argument is that if the PW is outputting at, say 5 kW, to satisfy house load, and that house load goes away, then for a very brief period of time the PW is exporting 5 kW.

My PW is limited to 3.68 kW for just this reason, even though configured for no export. It's also the reason they won't allow me a 2nd PW.

Madness, but that's their line, and it's pointless arguing with them. Just wish there was some way to lobby for a rule change. Maybe bung £100 to the local Tory...

• Disagree
they need to separate generation from export more often. Perhaps equipment manufacturers could do more to support that with methods to prevent even short bursts of over-export. Especially now we're moving from solar only which was common back in 2010 when the first FIT systems were around, to combo solar-battery where it makes sense to want potentially more generation inside your home for load+battery charge, plus more battery output to support high loads.

I see Givenergy's all in one has a peak output of 7.2kw. So could potentially be entirely impossible to install on even a small solar setup if DNO insists on 3.68kw limit?

they need to separate generation from export more often. Perhaps equipment manufacturers could do more to support that with methods to prevent even short bursts of over-export. Especially now we're moving from solar only which was common back in 2010 when the first FIT systems were around, to combo solar-battery where it makes sense to want potentially more generation inside your home for load+battery charge, plus more battery output to support high loads.

I see Givenergy's all in one has a peak output of 7.2kw. So could potentially be entirely impossible to install on even a small solar setup if DNO insists on 3.68kw limit?
Right now, they assume that all devices could export at their maximum rate for an extended period in a fault condition (CT clamp failed, etc). Those fault conditions aren't wildly unrealistic, and you can see why they would want to handle it that way. (If you don't do it properly, there could be an impact on safety)

It would be interesting to see better options to handle this. For example in Spain where you pay for incoming grid capacity (Say you buy 32a), the smart meter will open the contactor and cut the power if you exceed the contracted power for say 15 seconds. If this happens often, you contact the energy company and ask for a higher limit - they check the available capacity and send an update to the smart meter (Rather than an electrical to put a new MCB in).
In principle you could do the same for fault management with export, rather than sizing everything based on fault scnarios.

The AIO won't work without DNO approval. In a lot of cases, the approval isn't hard to get. In cases where there are capacity limits, a hybrid inverter with a DC side battery is by far the neatest option. (Unless of course you're installing the AIO without solar)

The problem with AC coupled batteries working with hybrid inverters is that they tend to just drain the DC batteries. Hybrid inverters hide the DC batteries to the AC system and make it look like it's solar. So the AC ones will merrily charge away from them.

I'm not saying you can't get around it but unsure how (CT clamps probably don't work on DC), as was something I was looking at while waiting for Powerwall install (also AC batteries).
Yes, I did query how they planned to deal with this and didn't get a plan for this scenario, just a fairly generic answer that they saw this as a good solution.
You could *probably* make it work by disabling the charging for 10 seconds every 5 minutes and checking that the solar inverter is still exporting.