Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think the new owner gets zero Warranty on it, which would be a shame...
I will ask. For me personally it would depend how much I was buying it for either way but I fear that a purchase like this would be more viable for someone that already has at least one already installed since it should just sort of piggy back on to the original installation where the hard work/most labour and parts was already done but this would leave a redundant gateway which might be what gets commissioned 🤔

Reactions: PITA
I accepted a Powerwall quote from local installer on 6th June and to my surprise when they checked their suppliers on the 7th lucked into a supplier delivery with install go ahead in under two weeks. Was expecting 8–13 month wait! Delivery due this afternoon.
Similar experience -- from order to installation of our second PW it was about 3 weeks. The installer happened to have a delivery coming in and offered to put my order against one. Some would say it shows that Tesla has an abundance of supply but I spoke with most authorised installers for our region and the wait time for all but this one was quite long. Tesla has said they are working to reduce wait times but it can still be quite many weeks/months.

Couldn't the car manufacturer record "mileage" of battery discharges, alongside driven mileage, and degradation / warranty could then account for both uses?
If feasible that would be an elegant solution.

I would be quite happy if V2H was enabled on the Tesla but suspect our electrical connection for how the wall connector is wired would need some modifications.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I'm sure your question was rhetorical, but the car industry could come up with some sensible compromises, like limiting warranty to 6 years instead of 8 or, 80k miles or whatever. And then let the market decide if their reduced warranty offer was palatable. Or perhaps they'd do nothing, deciding that the perennial hand-wringing over cycling batteries was something best left to the past.

I'm sure your question was rhetorical, but the car industry could come up with some sensible compromises, like limiting warranty to 6 years instead of 8 or, 80k miles or whatever. And then let the market decide if their reduced warranty offer was palatable. Or perhaps they'd do nothing, deciding that the perennial hand-wringing over cycling batteries was something best left to the past.

I think unless somebody was battery cycling for export business... most homes wouldn't see heavy use.

We already 'manage' on two Powerwalls (27kWh) and Solar (3 kWh minimum).

Adding our Skoda Enyaq VRS 80 kWh battery on a trickle feed would be a massive gain.

Even buying a cheap second hand Nissan Leaf (rolling Powerwall) becomes viable.

We wouldn't need to use much, just topping up our existing static battery kit would be a win.

Some of the tear-downs of Tesla’s circuitry in Model Y showed they were part way there with bidirectional charging in hardware, so it may even be there now in cars, but from their battery-preservation primary philosophy it’s probably too hard to commit to doing so. Particularly if PW3 comes with 15 kWh or more.

I more or less guarantee that V2H will never ever be available on Teslas as long as PW is being marketed and sold.

But having both would be acceptable, and ideal.

You'd most likely still need a Gateway device, G100 certification, a suitable charger.

Having a static Powerwall 'buffer' would give the house something to 'chew on' while the car was away.

All I'd want for our setup is a constant 2kW or 3kW trickle feed from the car into the Powerwalls to keep them topped up during Winter.

Then let the Powerwalls do all the heavy lifting.

But having both would be acceptable, and ideal.

You'd most likely still need a Gateway device, G100 certification, a suitable charger.

Having a static Powerwall 'buffer' would give the house something to 'chew on' while the car was away.

All I'd want for our setup is a constant 2kW or 3kW trickle feed from the car into the Powerwalls to keep them topped up during Winter.

Then let the Powerwalls do all the heavy lifting.
Would be ideal for end user - yes.

but would it be for Tesla which has very specific product - PW which they sell for profit. becaue people would use it as large battery anyway, not for the trickle feed to PW alone.

this would definitely canibalize PW sales. so why would tesla enable feature which in the end would mean less sales for them?