Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you got some API stuff? If so I'd be interested in what you are doing with that (new thread maybe)

Nope... there's nothing else I need from the Data.

The hardware features and functionality is great, for me anyways, and the App tells me what I want to know. Because I'm at home all day (mostly)... the API is me :D

I've got 27kWh storage at the moment, but I really want 50kWh.

So I'm now either waiting for the Powerwall 3... or Tesla Vehicle to Home

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I really want 50kWh.

I've got 2x PowerWall and am I'm around that consumption too ... probably averaging 2kW

I'd like to be able to buy-and-store a day's worth of grid power (in Winter) off-peak. Actually I only need 2kW x number of Peak hours. Currently on E7 (circumstances changed a bit, and driving less, but previously needed more than 4 hours a night to charge car as was doing 30K miles a year)

PowerWall charged from Solar runs out around 2AM ... so for a solar-only Summer I need another 6 hours battery for Summer.

Still struggling a bit with how to predict tomorrow's cloud cover and then decide how much to charge PowerWalls from Grid overnight to have just enough room for tomorrow's Solar :) (That's the bit I reckon I could use the API for)

My local weather for today from BBC (Top) and Met Office (bottom) doesn't fill me with much confidence in terms of getting some accurate starter data!

Weather_20220511.gif

So far the BBC has been correct - something wrong if the Met Office has worse data than the Telly!

or Tesla Vehicle to Home

That would simplify my whole setup. Just dump to the car and extract as necessary. Set the diverter to charge car first, PowerWall second, so if car not here fill up PowerWall and then Export ... or melt some Salt or something like that ...

If a suitable V2H car comes along I may well get rid of Tesla run-around in favour of having V2H.

Reactions: PITA and Mrklaw
Thought I'd share some graphs from my Alpha ESS battery system. 11.6kWh storage.
I have 14x 285w LG + 10x325w JASolar + 4x385w JA solar. About 7800w on 2 inverters that can do 6000w
The times when Octopus data shows some spikes is when I do some overnight charging of the SR+ , or when the day ahead looks rubbish and I do a bit of cheap night-time electricity charging of the house battery. Otherwise my grid pull is typically about 0.5kWh/day as the Alpha doesn't respond instantly to demand changes (might be 2 seconds, might be 5), and "only" has a 3kW inverter. Some newer models have a 5kW inverter.

Google "Alpha ESS battery storage" to see what the Alpha looks like. I paid £2000 for the main unit (3kW + 3kWh storage) plus approx £1100 per additional module (got 3 now for 11.6kWh storage total).

Attachments

• octopus.jpg
    octopus.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_2022-03-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-10.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_2022-03-10b.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-10b.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2022-05-10b.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-10b.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 802874

I'm on the way to 50MWh from my primary 3.68kW inverter and 4kW array - a real money spinner. Such fun. Green is best month and red is the worst month. All in kWh.
They're good numbers! That's about 20% more than mine do each year - and mine is 7 years old - so only about 25MW. But I'm SW facing in Berkshire and winter shaded by nearby forest for 3 months of the year.
My FIT array is 14x285w LG's + I have a SOLIC 200 giving me free hot water 8 months of the year.

They're good numbers! That's about 20% more than mine do each year - and mine is 7 years old - so only about 25MW. But I'm SW facing in Berkshire and winter shaded by nearby forest for 3 months of the year.
My FIT array is 14x285w LG's + I have a SOLIC 200 giving me free hot water 8 months of the year.
I'm on the south coast and my array faces south but with early morning and late afternoon shading. I too have a SOLIC 200, but it gets confused with the PW as once it starts heating water, it drains the PW if the solar output reduces.

I'm on the south coast and my array faces south but with early morning and late afternoon shading. I too have a SOLIC 200, but it gets confused with the PW as once it starts heating water, it drains the PW if the solar output reduces.
Once we got the Alpha battery system my installer wisely advised to switch the SOLIC 200 from Mode 1 to Mode 2 (think it's that way round) and I set it at about 1000w via the 4 jumper settings (where you can set it in 100w increments between 100 and 1500).
Everything below 1000w goes to the battery system. Anything from 1000-4000 goes to the Solic 200 and my hot water. Strangely anything from 4000-6000 still goes to the battery. When the SOLIC 2000 detects 65C water (what the immersion is set to), and the Alpha battery is full I export to the grid... or plug in the car and set it to 6-15 amps depending on how sunny it is. The car and the Tesla app is quite useful at varying the charge amps. 4amps = 1kw charge speed roughly. It's best to never set it above 4kw (aprox 13amps) as when the sun goes behind a cloud my output drops to about 1500w. Then I can do 2.5kW from the house + 1.5kW from the clouds and not draw from the grid. Also got to make sure the Mrs hasn't turned on the oven as that'll pull 3000w for 20minutes when warming itself up!
I find the 1000w setting gives me very very hot water every day. On very dark days (and 3-4 months of the winter) I turn off the immersion at the wall and just focus on charging the house battery - then put the boiler on for 20mins to get my hot water.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RedMod3
Sadly my 1yr fixed 13.3p and 5p Octopus Go deal ended :( I got defaulted to Flexible Octopus (30.5p and 20p night) - maybe I missed the email?
Seems to get back on "Go" you've got to then go to the website (search Octopus Go) and reapply to go on that. But now it's 35 and 7.5p. Was surprised to see the daytime is also nearly 5p more than the flexible one! But think it's better to be on this one than Flexible with the occasional large overnight charges for the house or car battery - especially when it comes to winter and I'll be doing probably 100 consecutive nightly charges of the house battery!
Still, my daily use is as low as 0.3kWh because of the Alpha battery system!!! My real daily use (including my own generation) is about 25-45kWh depending on if I'm charging the car or not. I also have a freshwater tropical fish tank and a family of 4.

Sadly my 1yr fixed 13.3p and 5p Octopus Go deal ended :( I got defaulted to Flexible Octopus (30.5p and 20p night) - maybe I missed the email?
Seems to get back on "Go" you've got to then go to the website (search Octopus Go) and reapply to go on that. But now it's 35 and 7.5p. Was surprised to see the daytime is also nearly 5p more than the flexible one! But think it's better to be on this one than Flexible with the occasional large overnight charges for the house or car battery - especially when it comes to winter and I'll be doing probably 100 consecutive nightly charges of the house battery!
Still, my daily use is as low as 0.3kWh because of the Alpha battery system!!! My real daily use (including my own generation) is about 25-45kWh depending on if I'm charging the car or not. I also have a freshwater tropical fish tank and a family of 4.

Nasty... sorry to hear that.

What's your new Standing Charge daily rate?

Once we got the Alpha battery system my installer wisely advised to switch the SOLIC 200 from Mode 1 to Mode 2 (think it's that way round) and I set it at about 1000w via the 4 jumper settings (where you can set it in 100w increments between 100 and 1500).
Everything below 1000w goes to the battery system. Anything from 1000-4000 goes to the Solic 200 and my hot water. Strangely anything from 4000-6000 still goes to the battery. When the SOLIC 2000 detects 65C water (what the immersion is set to), and the Alpha battery is full I export to the grid... or plug in the car and set it to 6-15 amps depending on how sunny it is. The car and the Tesla app is quite useful at varying the charge amps. 4amps = 1kw charge speed roughly. It's best to never set it above 4kw (aprox 13amps) as when the sun goes behind a cloud my output drops to about 1500w. Then I can do 2.5kW from the house + 1.5kW from the clouds and not draw from the grid. Also got to make sure the Mrs hasn't turned on the oven as that'll pull 3000w for 20minutes when warming itself up!
I find the 1000w setting gives me very very hot water every day. On very dark days (and 3-4 months of the winter) I turn off the immersion at the wall and just focus on charging the house battery - then put the boiler on for 20mins to get my hot water.
Interesting. So in Mode 1, the CT clamp is on the solar array (with power limits set) and in Mode 2 it is on the DNO supply.

My preference is to fill the PW before I fill the hot water as I can always fill the hot water at the cheap GO rate whereas I may need power from the PW during the expensive period.

I'm leaving my settings on mode 3.

Attachments

• SOLiC-200-Installation-guide.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 276
Toddy is the opposite of yesterday and generating 5.0kW out of a max of 5.1kW. Smart car is 100% full, water is heated to max, PW almost full and Tesla 90% full, I’m only charging to 92%. The Grid will get gifted power today. 😠

Attachments

• BB80B898-C993-45D3-882A-D5C659DD785E.jpeg
    BB80B898-C993-45D3-882A-D5C659DD785E.jpeg
    619.3 KB · Views: 39
Toddy is the opposite of yesterday and generating 5.0kW out of a max of 5.1kW. Smart car is 100% full, water is heated to max, PW almost full and Tesla 90% full, I’m only charging to 92%. The Grid will get gifted power today. 😠
Me too. Again!
But have put 12kWh in my car, 2 in the wife’s, 6 in the hot water and 14 in the Powerwalls. The day is up and down, anything from 2 - 10kWh coming in.

Can you not see this ?
Really ?

A kitchen / car / yacht (name anything pleasurable) …..gives simultaneously “playful” family fun and function.

You’d have to have a rather “geeky” sense to get “pleasure” from owning PV. Does your wife know what it cost ? Your children?

I simply think, many of you “PV fans” are “ a tad naive” about investing! I’m especially baffled that many of you live somewhere it’s cloudy most of the time and pisses down with rain.

You all have a “fiduciary” type obligation not to waste your families budget.

Do please let me know when the price of PV reduces to the point where it’s worth considering 👍.

It will, I’m sure. But for me, the maths doesn’t support it.
Sorry to go back to an old(er) post, but I'm still convinced something in your calcs must be wrong. My ROI graphs are in the thread here:
Solar Panels UK - is it worth it? and where you are you should be able to invest in less panels for better return. You also should have lower heating load which will help in the off times (tho I guess you may have some cooling needs in the summer depending on your house construction, but that is actually better suited to solar).

In my link above I consider 4 scenarios of varying size of array and size of battery to accompany them. At current UK power prices and in Scotland solar only breaks even in ~5.5 years and offers solid returns for ever more. Adding a battery extends your breakeven to more like 7 years, but the profit from that point on is at a higher rate. At some point there will likely be some maintenance costs which I've not factored in, but the battery is warranted to 13 years with my usage pattern.

Assuming power costs stays the same as it is, that's £40k up in 25 years. If power goes up to 50p/KWh then you are at £80k 'profit'. You are very subject to power price fluctuations, but any 'investment' is subject to go up or down, previous returns are not indicative of future etc., This should render somewhere between 2x and 6x return.

With my array, if everything goes pete tong on us I still have power, heat and transport. I'm no prepper but that's quite a lot of security. And if there is a powercut, the wine won't get warm. On top of that there is cutting our carbon footprint. We buy electricity from one of the 'green' suppliers, but that still isn't carbon free, so buying less it better.

If I take that £13k and put it in something that we are confident of making 10% annually for 25 years, yep, I make what looks like a fortune - £150k. But in that time I'm also paying more for electric (so still subject to its fluctuations) and inflation will take the edge off the spending power of that profit (calculating that is beyond my skills). If I want to use that investment to lower my electric bills, I can only take £93.50 a month out of my bill. With solar its £154 a month at todays prices, and at £50p/kwh its £240.

You could probably man math this either way TBH, but there is also a fiduciary duty to do 'the right thing' for us, our kids and the planet we are currently stuck on. You can price that in yourself, or you can wait for the gov to twist your arm and re-align the market.