Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, I'm on Go too.

We have the battery set to charge up overnight at the cheap rate and also charge one of the cars (we have 2x EVs) overnight in the 4 hour window when needed. We charge the system battery to 100% every night but could do less as we have some surplus from solar on sunny days. My view is that it is so cheap to fill the battery anyway, little point in not doing so as we would risk using more peak rate electricity if it was a cloudy day. We also have timers on the washer, dryer and dishwasher so they only run during the cheap rate.

We do lose some surplus solar back to the grid on sunny days while the battery is at 100% and the house draw is too low. I've now got the info needed to set up an export tariff. Not rushed to do it though as its only about 4p a kWh and in reality wouldn't add up to too much anyway - I will get it done at some point.

We have toyed with the idea of trying to use the surplus to charge the cars but our charger (WallBox) doesn't have the sophistication needed to manage the surplus itself in the way some (Givvi) can. I have used the granny charger on really bright days when we have been pushing more than 2kWh back to the grid, but even that runs the risk of cloud cover or the odd boiled kettle meaning that we have some peak draw so we've abandoned that idea.

How does it work with your in-house display? Does it correctly show usage adjusted to what the panels are putting in or does it become useless?
And for those on FIT does the price move in reverse?

Our system goes in Monday 2 x 9.5 kwh batteries plus 1 inverter and 10 panels. How do I ensure in the event of a grid failure I still have power? do I need to do something special ?

Thanks
The Tesla Gateway disconnects the Grid from your house in the event of a power cut and puts you in Island Mode so your solar would still work with the PWs; you can simulate this with the Go Off Grid option, see pic. Your ability to do this will depend on the features of the system you bought.

Attachments

• E53CB798-7F3F-4536-B417-67CBFC8708CA.png
    E53CB798-7F3F-4536-B417-67CBFC8708CA.png
    578.9 KB · Views: 63
Personally I think that it's easy to fall into the trap of over-thinking these things and adding too much complexity. I found myself falling into a deep, dark hole this morning looking at Pi servers for Home Assistant before I realised that spending a couple of hundred quid and hours of frustration learning and setting up a system to monitor PV output and automate routines was a fool's errand. The pennies saved will not recompense me for the hours of messing about.

As we are in Summer, I let the system charge the 8.2kW battery to 35% on overnight cheap rate power. That then sees the house through the night and the battery ends up at about 10-15% charge in the morning. I then let the PV charge the battery (on a good day its at 100% by 10:30AM). The solar diverter then puts the excess into heating the water cylinder. By then, again on a good day, its probably 1PM. If I am at home I then plug the car in and let the Andersen charger push the excess into the car. Again, on a good day, I can get maybe 10kW in there.

My PV system has generated 40Kw at peak in a day. Normally it's lower than this, but that gives an idea of what I'm playing with (May's total generation was 696kWh, June was 756kWh) . Getting the panels and battery in was the big jump. Everything after that is a game of diminishing returns.
Good point. On our system, we use Time Based Control and when we had one PW, the PW didn’t always charge to 100% overnight in summer. But now with 2 PW it always charges to 100% so I can end with maybe 50% left before the GO cheap rate cuts in.

This is not what I expected, but I prefer this situation as if I get close to 100% on a sunny day, I’ll boost the immersion heater for an hour of two and if plug the Tesla in.

I’m not willing to spend extra money just to save 5p per kWh either.

4.5kW of panels and 5.2kWh of battery storage going in on the 15th. Relatively insulated from the gas price spike due to oil-fired heating, but being able to shunt a component of the hot water heating to solar will help electricity bills.

Same FIT are so rubbish now. About time the existing tariffs were scrapped and it went to a fairer version of an export tariff for everyone. Can't imagine someone who's paying £500/month for electricity next year is going to be thrilled that their bill is directly paying someone else to use their own power.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
Our system goes in Monday 2 x 9.5 kwh batteries plus 1 inverter and 10 panels. How do I ensure in the event of a grid failure I still have power? do I need to do something special ?

Thanks
9.5kWh batteries? A GivEnergy system?
If so, then you need the sparky to wire in the EPS. All connected circuits will need to be totally separate from the existing consumer unit, including earthing. This is to ensure that the batteries do not feed current into the grid and fry a poor line worker somewhere.
Do you get frequent power cuts?

Reactions: spon88
9.5kWh batteries? A GivEnergy system?
If so, then you need the sparky to wire in the EPS. All connected circuits will need to be totally separate from the existing consumer unit, including earthing. This is to ensure that the batteries do not feed current into the grid and fry a poor line worker somewhere.
Do you get frequent power cuts?
I believe there are four options for the GivEnergy EPS. Option 3 which I've opted for, allows you to link your existing house electrics in full. However the system doesn't have auto fail-over and involves a simple manual switchover. I prefer this as it means I can check which appliances are running and that they don't overload the system. I have critical circuits (servers, CCTV etc) on UPS so that option works for me. Power cuts here are very infrequent but I've gone belt and braces as the future energy landscape looks a bit dodgy.

Reactions: 94jdh
The thing is if enough people on a street submit 3.68kw notifications, whether they end up installing it or not, the DNO can't refuse these by law and the cost of any infrastructure upgrade falls to the DNO. Just saying... ;)

I’m fine with 3.68ke max export but DNO should allow more generation locally as long as you can guarantee sticking below 3.68 export - eg inverter clips if you’re not using/storing it

How does it work with your in-house display? Does it correctly show usage adjusted to what the panels are putting in or does it become useless?
And for those on FIT does the price move in reverse?
Not quite sure I know what you mean here - if its the smart energy meter display thing it's next to useless and we have it plugged in but rarely look at it.

The data from the inverter is better though and does show you exactly what's going where if you look at the display on the inverter. It also updates an app and web page but that seems to be updated every 5 mins or so. Sort of info from that is pretty good - see below;

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 09.51.50.png

This shows its pretty dull outside and the panels are producing very little, but the house is running off the battery and donating 5w back to the grid.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 09.52.59.png

The second chart shows incoming on the top section and outgoing on the lower section. You can zoom in and focus on particular bits if needs be and also get aggregated data over different periods.

Only problem I have with it is that unless I go in the garage to have a look at the inverter, I'm usually looking at what happened a few minutes ago, rather than what is happening now. The other problem is that sometimes the data has gaps as a result of a dodgy wifi connection.

Last edited:
I believe there are four options for the GivEnergy EPS. Option 3 which I've opted for, allows you to link your existing house electrics in full. However the system doesn't have auto fail-over and involves a simple manual switchover. I prefer this as it means I can check which appliances are running and that they don't overload the system. I have critical circuits (servers, CCTV etc) on UPS so that option works for me. Power cuts here are very infrequent but I've gone belt and braces as the future energy landscape looks a bit dodgy.
All the details are here:

Same here, trying to belt and braces in the event we get power cuts this winter, will ask the sparky on Monday for option 3, happy for it to be manual but would prefer it to cover whole house ccts, hopefully not too much extra work at the time of install.

All systems are givenergy, battery and inverter

Thanks for the tips all

Same here, trying to belt and braces in the event we get power cuts this winter, will ask the sparky on Monday for option 3, happy for it to be manual but would prefer it to cover whole house ccts, hopefully not too much extra work at the time of install.

All systems are givenergy, battery and inverter

Thanks for the tips all
I'd contact the installer asap. My outfit are planning to send a sparky a day ahead of the main install as the EPS is not trivial apparently. There will be additional gear needed too.

You also need to be careful with the load when the EPS is in action, too great and it will trip.

Last thing to know is if you have an AC coupled inverter, you have the battery capacity but that's it when it's discharged. With a hybrid inverter you can keep going via solar recharge. I haven't researched that yet, but that's what I read. It will no doubt be obvious to those who know how these things are configured.

Same here, trying to belt and braces in the event we get power cuts this winter...

I've done the belt and braces as well.

Solar Array feeding two Powerwalls, Tesla Gateway powering 7kW ev charger (Grid tied) and 7kW Commando ev charger (Backup side), plus 22kW ev charger on 3 Phase supply (Grid tied).

Dual fuel central heating (gas or electric), and dual fuel water heating (gas or electric).

Took me a while to sort it all out, but I'm now ready...

Reactions: RedMod3
I've done the belt and braces as well.

Solar Array feeding two Powerwalls, Tesla Gateway powering 7kW ev charger (Grid tied) and 7kW Commando ev charger (Backup side), plus 22kW ev charger on 3 Phase supply (Grid tied).

Dual fuel central heating (gas or electric), and dual fuel water heating (gas or electric).

Took me a while to sort it all out, but I'm now ready...
Wise choice; we will have up to 40kWh of energy stored with a max 10kW discharge and the capability to charge our two EVs with with either of our two 7kW chargers or a granny charger. We have not used the grid between 4:30am to 12:30am (20 hours) for many weeks now.

We too will be ready for regulat up to 10 hour power-cuts should they occur.

Reactions: PITA
Why is everyone talking about powercuts?
Winter is not going to be pleasant due to the end-user costs of power. Plenty of people will be unable to pay the outrageous costs. However, that won't result in rolling blackouts.
Or am I missing something really obvious here?

Reactions: Garry TheBiz