Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been told October as well for the GivEnergy kit.

Would you have a quote to share?

With whom, what inverter (brand and capacity), what battery etc?
It’s a company called Gemini based in Newcastle.

As mentioned it’s a 9.5kWh battery, I’ve been quoted a 3.6 kWp hybrid inverter but I can request to go up to 5 but I’ll need to submit a G99 application.

The panels these ones from Canadian Solar: Canadian Solar 360W Super High Power Mono PERC HiKU All Black with T4 – U Solar Shop

6 panels on each side of the roof

Been quoted 10499 but that’s minus scaffolding as I’m getting my roof replaced at the same time

I’ve been told October as well for the GivEnergy kit.

It’s a company called Gemini based in Newcastle.

As mentioned it’s a 9.5kWh battery, I’ve been quoted a 3.6 kWp hybrid inverter but I can request to go up to 5 but I’ll need to submit a G99 application.

The panels these ones from Canadian Solar: Canadian Solar 360W Super High Power Mono PERC HiKU All Black with T4 – U Solar Shop

6 panels on each side of the roof

Been quoted 10499 but that’s minus scaffolding as I’m getting my roof replaced at the same time
As You’re getting your roof replaced, have you looked at any “solar tile”-like products (à là Solar Roof)? Do any of them exist in the UK?

The Tesla solar roof? I don’t think they’re available

Also what’s peoples opinions on integrated integrated panels vs just putting them on top of the roof tiles?
While the Tesla roof tiles aren’t available in the Uk (they are barely available in the US) there are a few alternatives such as GB Sol PV Slate and Solecco Solar roof tiles. Much like the integrated roof panels they tend to be less efficient (think the Solecco ones are about 17% compare to most panels being around 21% these days). They are also quite expensive with the PV Slate being £294/sqm according to their website.

The Tesla solar roof? I don’t think they’re available

Also what’s peoples opinions on integrated integrated panels vs just putting them on top of the roof tiles?

I opted to integrate mine when I had them done in Feb this year. My thinking:
  1. I was concerned about pigeond nesting under on-roof panels. Ive heard of them infesting panels at anytime, sometimes years after the panels were installed. My installer wasn't that confident about getting pigeon-proofing, but eventually quoted me. Obviously it would be cheapest to do it at the time when the scaffolding was up, but even then it would have worked out at about £500. He suggested moving to integrated panels as it wasn't tht much more expensive.
  2. Looks- although my panels are at the rear of the house I still wanted the best looking solution.
  3. Efficiency- yes you do lose a bit in the hottest weather, but it's worth it. During the heatwave I got a max of 4.1 kW out of the panels on the hottest day. The most that I have seen so far was nearly 6kW on a sunny, cold, crisp day in May. Normally I will see about 4.8-5.1 (the array is 5.2kWp and it's pretty much facing due South).
If you can afford it, then I say do it!

IMG-20220514-121416[1].jpg

I have a new build which came with 3 solar panels, I have always been of the impression that the amount I could save from these is negligible so have never even investigated if there are any worthwhile benefits from having them. Now I am looking at getting EV charger installed at home I wonder if there is any particular set up that could make a difference in electricity costs?

Three panels are unlikely to be of any significant difference in the context of EV charging.
Even if they were high performance ones in the 400W rating, and it was bright and sunny int he middle of summer you’d be producing about 1kW.
An EV will charge at 3kW on a three pin socket and 7kW on a dedicated wall connector.
That said, they should help nicely with base load in the summer so it’s better than nothing…

Kind of makes you wonder why go through the hassle for so little installed capacity…

Three panels are unlikely to be of any significant difference in the context of EV charging.
Even if they were high performance ones in the 400W rating, and it was bright and sunny int he middle of summer you’d be producing about 1kW.
An EV will charge at 3kW on a three pin socket and 7kW on a dedicated wall connector.
That said, they should help nicely with base load in the summer so it’s better than nothing…

Kind of makes you wonder why go through the hassle for so little installed capacity…
That's what I thought, just another check box the builder needs to tick to get the house signed off , like you say it's not really worth bothering 😏. I'm in Scotland, we only have about 3 sunny days a year 😩

Building regs and local authority compliance ☹️. New builds round me include a few panels (although they look pretty large), but you have to volunteer to pay extra for more panels or a battery to make it really useful.

Solar equivalent of car manufacturers doing a version of their car with a few batteries hidden in the transmission tunnel to enable the range to be sold in California.

Reactions: Zakalwe
Building regs and local authority compliance ☹️. New builds round me include a few panels (although they look pretty large), but you have to volunteer to pay extra for more panels or a battery to make it really useful.

Solar equivalent of car manufacturers doing a version of their car with a few batteries hidden in the transmission tunnel to enable the range to be sold in California.
I am assuming extra panels plus battery pretty much outweighs any savings to be had, or at least it would take a long time to re-coup the outlay especially being in Scotland.

I have an EV installation guy coming out next week so I'll see what he says, it was he that asked if I would ever consider using Solar power which obviously makes a difference to the charging unit I opt for.
Ah. That's probably to do with being able to measure the excess coming from your panels and divert them into your car. Model 3 minimum for this is 6 amps, which means ~1.4kw export going spare. Guessing with your 3 panels you are unlikely to hit this I'm afraid, so no point making it a consideration?

Reactions: MY_2022
I am assuming extra panels plus battery pretty much outweighs any savings to be had, or at least it would take a long time to re-coup the outlay especially being in Scotland.
See my posts on pup and 80 for a full exploration, but I'm currently looking at a payback of 3 years on 19 panels and a 10kw battery, partly using cheap overnight power to fill the battery in the winter. I think in new builds it's seen as too complicated a conversation to introduce tho. Not surprisingly really - you are already making a lot of decisions, adding to the load just increases the difficulty of the sale.

Reactions: MY_2022
Ah. That's probably to do with being able to measure the excess coming from your panels and divert them into your car. Model 3 minimum for this is 6 amps, which means ~1.4kw export going spare. Guessing with your 3 panels you are unlikely to hit this I'm afraid, so no point making it a consideration?
It's all a bit of a minefield, but slowly but surely getting more familiar with the pros and cons of the various options, I appreciate your reply.. one less thing to consider :).