Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My PV is split between 2 same size arrays, east and west. The max output should be 6.7kW but now we’re getting a lot more sun, I’ve realised it’s clipping at 3.8kW. Even today with the sun directly overhead and a clear sky, it’s maxed out at 3.8kW.

I have a 5kW inverter so would expect to see close to that, certainly over the 3.8kW.

I have emailed the installer and will follow up with a call on Monday but what is likely to be the problem? Is it possibly an inverter configuration issue?
They might have put the wrong one in - it does happen!

Have you independently run the 2 arrays through pvwatts? With an easy/west split you get a much longer generation day, but not the same peak.

Each panel only generates peak when 90 degrees to the sun - if the sun is hitting both near mid day, then they will both be getting fairly glancing blows. My easy west split has peak generation at about 4pm when the sun is at 90 degrees to the SW array, as it's a little bigger. I can hit about 4.5kw then on what is overall a 7kw array. Because of this we only have a 5kw inverter. The installers wanted to give me an 8, but running the Sims using pvwatts I could see there were only a day or 2 a year that I'd peaked over 5kw, and I wanted the quicker start up of a smaller inverter.

OTOH, the overall solution generates from sunup to sun down, which a straight south facing array wouldn't do.

The sunnier it is, the less the second array does when it's not it's time. When it's cloudy tho, the east and west work together to double what the nominal south array would generate.

Can you give some more info on the 2 arrays? Or as other say, could just be the wrong inverter installed.

Reactions: ringi and notmeguv
Have you independently run the 2 arrays through pvwatts? With an easy/west split you get a much longer generation day, but not the same peak.

Each panel only generates peak when 90 degrees to the sun - if the sun is hitting both near mid day, then they will both be getting fairly glancing blows. My easy west split has peak generation at about 4pm when the sun is at 90 degrees to the SW array, as it's a little bigger. I can hit about 4.5kw then on what is overall a 7kw array. Because of this we only have a 5kw inverter. The installers wanted to give me an 8, but running the Sims using pvwatts I could see there were only a day or 2 a year that I'd peaked over 5kw, and I wanted the quicker start up of a smaller inverter.

OTOH, the overall solution generates from sunup to sun down, which a straight south facing array wouldn't do.

The sunnier it is, the less the second array does when it's not it's time. When it's cloudy tho, the east and west work together to double what the nominal south array would generate.

Can you give some more info on the 2 arrays? Or as other say, could just be the wrong inverter installed.
As above it’s not the wrong inverter. It’s labelled as a 5kW (Solaredge SE5000H) and I can export over 3.6kW which wouldn’t be possible with the lower rated inverter.

I don’t expect it to be able to produce the full 6.7kW but it currently flat lines at 3.8kW. I would have thought it should be able to exceed that even by a little bit when the sun is directly overhead.

I have Solcast PV configured with Home Assistant and that shows that my set up should be peaking at around 5.5kW today.

Sounds like it’s limited at 16A. If you have DNO permission to output more than 16A, then hopefully it’s a setting in the inverter.

Worth checking the fuse size for the inverter circuit. If it’s 16 or 20A, then likely the 16A limit is for a reason, ie that’s the limit of the circuit.

Reactions: notmeguv
Sounds like it’s limited at 16A. If you have DNO permission to output more than 16A, then hopefully it’s a setting in the inverter.

Worth checking the fuse size for the inverter circuit. If it’s 16 or 20A, then likely the 16A limit is for a reason, ie that’s the limit of the circuit.
I have DNO permission to export 8.68kW, not sure what that equates to in amps?

I’m not sure where to check fuses. There is PV Array Junction Box but it’s screwed shut. There are no fuses for the PV in my consumer unit.

I’m not sure where to check fuses. There is PV Array Junction Box but it’s screwed shut. There are no fuses for the PV in my consumer unit.

A possible explanation is the your solar is limited on export give or take plus you have 5kw on the powerwall and that is your combined export 🤔

Maybe have a word with your installer and see what is what... might be that the gateway cant control your inverter or its not setup right 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: notmeguv
My PV is split between 2 same size arrays, east and west. The max output should be 6.7kW but now we’re getting a lot more sun, I’ve realised it’s clipping at 3.8kW. Even today with the sun directly overhead and a clear sky, it’s maxed out at 3.8kW.

I have a 5kW inverter so would expect to see close to that, certainly over the 3.8kW.

I have emailed the installer and will follow up with a call on Monday but what is likely to be the problem? Is it possibly an inverter configuration issue?
If you see clipping it should be an inverter issue.
Also, I have had mine cleaned for the first time after 4 years and it seems to have improved performance somewhat so if yours have been installed a while ago it might be worth considering that?

If you see clipping it should be an inverter issue.
Also, I have had mine cleaned for the first time after 4 years and it seems to have improved performance somewhat so if yours have been installed a while ago it might be worth considering that?
Only fitted in November so still very new.

Just a thought - can any of your control systems output a graph of generation over time? If that's a smooth curve then it's probably fine, if it is the inverter clipping there will be a really clear flat cap on the graph.
There’s a definite flat line…

IMG_0888.jpeg

Have you got a solar edge export limiter fitted? If so, it might be set to the wrong settings.
Just another thought, I get 8A, so about 2kW of reactive power moving to/from the grid, but 0kW RMS power. If you have the same, maybe that is limiting your export?
My export to grid is not an issue. I can export at 5kW from the Powerwall and higher than that, up to 8.68kW, with solar and battery export combined.

I’ve heard back from the installers already…

I can now confirm SolarEdge have looked at the issue and it does appear there was an erroneous export limit applied.
This has now been rectified so you should see your system generates to its maximum potential.

Of course there’s not much sun forecast for the next few days so I won’t be able to test it for a while 😄

Thats a funny odd number but I thought around 8 might of been the average given what others here have got on single phase.

SSE have have given me permission for the aditional powerwall which now in and another 4kw solar but have given me a limit of a flat 6kw export which is what I already had with a single powerwall and 1 kw solar hence over all ive only gained another just over 1 kw export (taking away the base load) for the extra equipment. Better than a kick in the teeth is all I can think 😬

Just looking for some advice.
Had a quote from Octopus for 6 panels, 2.610kW (max number can fit on main roof) at a cost of £4,299. This includes savings of £1500 due to Octopus Spring sale.

Believe the panels are JA Solar 435 watt with an GivEnergy 1PH Hybrid Inverter 3.6kW.

Wondered if anyone has used Octopus for solar install and any good/bad points and if the cost is reasonable?

They provided the following graph. Wondering if it’s worth it. Any help would be great.

IMG_8189.jpeg

Just looking for some advice.
Had a quote from Octopus for 6 panels, 2.610kW (max number can fit on main roof) at a cost of £4,299. This includes savings of £1500 due to Octopus Spring sale.

Believe the panels are JA Solar 435 watt with an GivEnergy 1PH Hybrid Inverter 3.6kW.

Wondered if anyone has used Octopus for solar install and any good/bad points and if the cost is reasonable?

They provided the following graph. Wondering if it’s worth it. Any help would be great.

View attachment 1043386
Pretty hard for anyone to tell you if it's worth it, it's a large capital cost with a payback over 5-10 years, only you can choose that.

AFAIK Octopus sub the work out just like Heatable, Contact Solar and many others. I would get some alternative quotes. My install was Contact Solar and they did a good job with their contractors, no complaints and a good price. Is there any shade on your roof ?

The only think I would flag is that some people now would avoid panels from JA Solar, and many other Chinese brands because of forced labour used in their manufacture. Solar Brands Accused of Forced Labour Continue to Grow